Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took a couple of tries, but I figured out how to install the Memphis Shade lowers directly to the touring shield. V-Fred suggested I post a how-to (I'll include a how not to as well).

The problem - the touring shield has a significant updraft. It just doesn't come low enough. Memphis Shade lowers cured that problem. Five identified problems, however: a.) They don't come off with the windshield and b.) they are at a different angle than the bottom of the shield and look slightly out of place. c.) They hit the engine Guard at full lock. d.) The finish of the Memphis Shade brackets is not up to the standards of the rest of the bike. and e.) they require that the windshield be raised all the way up on the forks. (I'm 6'2" tall, and am looking just over the top of the shield in this position.). But aerodynamically, they work!

The solution: Mount the lowers directly to the touring shield frame. The problem here is that the angle of the touring shield is such that the lowers are tight against the fork tubes, and on full compression of the front forks, they hit (and dent - damn!) the dust shield on the top of the tubes. Soooo.

1.) Go to Ace and buy 4, 1/4x20" chrome 1.25" long allen head bolts, and corresponding self locking nuts, some chrome washers, and a plumbing repair kit with an assortment of reinforced rubber washers. (or equivalent)

2.) Remove the lower windshield bolts on the touring shield. You will reuse the rubber washers. Using the Memphis mounting hardware, temporarily mount the lowers (one at a time) through the upper mount, through the windshield, to determine where to drill (Gasp!) into the windshield.

3.) With your trusty dremel, after carefully alining and measuring (measure several times, drill once) drill a hole in the windshield. it will be just above the lower lip of the windshield. (Photo 1)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
4.) Remove the Lower. For the top attachment, using the Memphis Lowers mounting hardware pieces in front, place a reinforced rubber washer behind the Memphis Lower, a HD rubber washer against the windshield, and between the windshield and the frame, then a washer and lock nut behind the frame.

5.) Behind the bottom attachment, use the same set-up but add the smaller Memphis cup shaped mounting part as a spacer, cup towards the bike (to allow the non-parallel alignment) then the HD rubber windshield assy, washer and nut. This causes the Memphis Lower to stick out away from the bottom of the windshield futher than the top, clearing the fork bottoms.

6.) Tighten enough so that everything is secure, but the rubber parts are not squished. (Photo 2)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
7.) When done, there should be a small gap at the top between the two plactic pieces, and a larger gap at the bottom. The lowers should stand about 5/8" away from the forks. If closer, add another rubber washer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I drove the bike today with and without the lowers. I had forgotten how much updraft came up from below without them. These fix the problem just fine, come off with the windshield, don't hit the engine guards at full turn, allowed me to lower the windshield 1.5" (I no longer look through it except at potholes), and they don't hit the lower forks. And the less than pretty Memphis brackets are gone.

Hope this helps someone else!

·
Wretched Excess.....
2,067 Posts
Hey Daniii, great write up and thanks for sharing.:thumb: I am one who enjoys the wind in my face but when my wife rides with me, I have a memphis Rio Grande sport shield that I mount up. When I do I really notice the updraft and I get a lot of helmet buffeting. Is your shield the memphis fats? I should have followed the advice given to me which was: "If you're gonna put on a windshield, put the biggest most protective one on that you can. They're all gonna look the same and you might as well get the most protection possible". I should have listened! Anyway, when I get mine out again, I'm going to look and see if your mod can be done to it. I had already considered buying the lowers but would rather have it all come off as one piece.

·
1,738 Posts
Daniii: Good job. It looks better too. Great post. Did you have time to test ride it. I assume it works as well as previous.

Looking at the pictures of where the holes in the shield are drilled (its so close to the lip), would it also work if you Dremmeled out the top of the upper hole in the lowers and the bottom of the lower hole, and tried to catch the bottom lip of the shield with the lower mounting hardware (instead of drilling a hole in the shield)? Do you think the mounting hardware would hide the extended holes? Looks like it might. This would be preferable to drilling a hole in shield if you wanted to undo it.

Fred

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fred, it might work, but it would be a close thing on the hardware covering the extended holes in the Lowers. Also,they are twice as thick as the windshield, so it would be a bit of machining. I kind of like the way the hardware fits tightly. If I was doing it, I'd want to do it on a real mill, not in the driveway on the bike. The extended lower attachment would be better with a different method if we were not to drill into the windshield.
I had forgotten how much I hated the windshield without the lowers. Frankly, I have no problem with drilling the windshield, as now it works! And yes, I test dorve it - it works as before. Doesn't take much to cure the updraft. With my full face helmet and no lowers, the flip up visor just dances and flops around. With them, its stable and can be ridden with the visor in any position.

·
1,738 Posts
Daniii: Good work. :thumb: If you want to have the lowers removed with the shield this is the best solution (except for custom made lowers). I would have to move the turn signals to use your method (I have the Muth Signal mirrors, but like having both for safety). It would be easy to use the V-Mod relocates. As I never ride without the shield, I will probably stick with mounting the lowers to the shield bracket.

Am going to ride today and see how they work.

Fred

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just Wanted To Know If I Need The Lowers Mounting Kit To Do This?

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used a lot of the mounting bolts, washers, spacers etc. I'm sure it could be done without but the hardware was pretty convenient.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
Thanks Daniii I might have to give this a shot. I really like the idea of mounting them to the shield as I only use it for long trips and this will reduce the "tear-down" time for when I'm not using it.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Go for it! The lowers really make a difference, and taking them off with the windshield sure makes it simple. I never ride without it, but take it off when trailing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts