Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
V-Rod Addict
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my lockable hard leather saddlebags from Chicago HD. I haven't dug down to the bottom of the box yet for the installation instructions since the V-Rod is at the dealer right now fixing a leaking alternator cover. Just curious how much time and difficult the installation was to install the saddlebags. Do you have to remove the rear fender?

Guess I can just wait to get home from work tonight to dig through the box, but any comments or advice would be helpful. Thanks.

·
speeding safely
499 Posts
I think this was posted a few months ago, so you may want to do a search. Yes, you do need to remove the rear fender and dog's ass, as well as loosen (but not remove) the shock top mounting bolts.

The instructions that come with them are pretty complete and descriptive. Just go through the steps. There's nothing difficult to do, just some removal, replacement and bolt together. Maybe 30-40min work for the first time through.

You'll love the bags. After years of having soft leather bags, with a series of buckles and snaps every time I wanted to get into them, it's nice to have a push button open. No more leather care, waterproof, and lockable. Not very big, but a joy to use.

Oh, don't strap anything to the top of them, as it will scratch the plasti-chrome. (as I unfortunately found out)

Instructions (which you probably got with the kit) are posted at:
http://www.v-rodforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2724

·
V-Rod Addict
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
morey000 said:
Oh, don't strap anything to the top of them, as it will scratch the plasti-chrome. (as I unfortunately found out)
I got the hard vinyl rigid bags that look like leather. Hopefully they won't scratch easily. Although I don't plan on strapping anything to them. That's what the SAC bag is for.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had a real bad rub on the pully... If you are riding 2 up, the play with the pre-load on the rear shock to give some room.... My wife and I weigh a total of about 345.... I got rid if them...

·
Have Gun Will Travel
1,008 Posts
Install did not seem hard until I got to the point where I had to loosen the top shock bolts. How the hell do you hold the nut on the inside of the fender. I can't get a hold of mine to keep it from spinning.

·
V-Rod Addict
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
larry273 said:
Install did not seem hard until I got to the point where I had to loosen the top shock bolts. How the hell do you hold the nut on the inside of the fender. I can't get a hold of mine to keep it from spinning.
I hear you... Just finished trying to install them and couldn't get them to budge. I was worried about stripping them out cause the 8mm allen wrench kept spinning. Are there and tricks?

I think I'd rather take it to the dealer and have them do the next few steps to avoid the possibility of me stripping them out. :banghead: :banghead:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts