Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Submariner
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buiding on jcolodny's thread, I've added an RMD Billet sidemount to my ride.

Started by prepping the swingarm. Enlarged the drain hole on the bottom left side of the swingarm all the way aft to 3/8", and drilled another 3/8" hole at the bottom left forward end just at the curve.

I picked up a few feet of 1/4" braided stainless steel cable and routed two 16 ga wires through it for the wiring, which was routed through aforementioned holes using John's very effective vacuum method. Picked this up for $2/ft at www.cableorganizer.com.

I attached two retaining clips (available from dealer stock) to the bottom center of the fuel cell and another near the top to keep the cabling off the tire, then up and under the seat.

To hook in the wiring for the sidemount light, I simply crimped a couple pins on the 16 ga wires and reused the stock electrical connector to mate right up to the stock harness.

After everything was just right, I put some shrink tubing on the wires coming out of the sidemount (for added wear protection) and ran them along the curvature of the rear of the swingarm, cut the 16 ga wire to length, then soldered the wires together. Be sure to put a piece of shrink tubing over the braided cable BEFORE you solder!!! Finished up with the shrink tubing and reinstalled the rear axle cover. Once installed, the axle cover will hide both the wires from the sidemount, the soldered/heat shrunk connection, and the rearmost drain hole.

Here's the final product:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Hiding wire's No Drilling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I elected a diffrent route to hide my wiring, a NO drill Solution.

The pictures are not great but I think they will do.

Left side Rear of the swingarm, lay on your back look up between sproket and inside of swingarm close to the axle nut, there is a rubber plug, cut a small hole in it.

Now in front of the rear tire, and inside the swingarm there is a long rubber plug, remove it, and cut a hole in the upper area of the plug where the wire comes out and can go straight up beside the ga tank. I elected to do it this waty to keep the tire from slinging slush and muck on my wire.
I then inserted wire back at the axle nut area, threaded a whole bunch of it in there, went to the other side with a stiff wire with a hook bent in it, I reached in the hole, By the front of the rear tire, to retrive and thread with through my plug, and put the plug back in. threaded it up between fender and gas tank, came out one of the holes under the seat for hookup.
I elected to cover my exposed wire with heat shrink tubing for extra protection.

There you have it a no drill totally hidden Lic. Bracket light install

Attachments

·
O-FNG
321 Posts
Riverrattcom...that came out really nice. It works well with the mounting of the RMD plate. The "no drilling" method is the way to go if the parts you are mounting line up well with the plugs; if not, at least there is an alternatve. My sidemount worked better with the wires existing the bottom of the swingarm. Yours looks good, John.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Thanks John,
Your right depends on the product, just happened the RMD one worked out like that. There are some many out there its good to have an alternative method. :thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts