Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
V-Rod Addict
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I am trying to change my jiffy stand to a chrome one. Got the old one off and can't get the damn spring on the new one. Any pointers on how to make the spring expand enough to put it on the Jiffy stand?

That's the tightest spring I've ever seen. I tried using a set of pliers and it seems impossible...

·
Diesel Smoke Tester
862 Posts
first things first

You have to put the spring on first, and use the kickstand as a leverage tool to swing itself up into position for the mounting pin to go in last. It took me several trys to figure this out, but it makes it much easier. Of course, it works best with the bike up on the Lift. Good luck! redrazor

·
V-Rod Addict
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I agree that probably would have been easier. Using a screwdriver for leverage it was a real bitch!

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I use a flat screw driver with a square shank and ground a v-shaped slot just above the blade.Fit the driver on the spring put the slot on the hook and just pry it onto the hook.Get your brother to sit on the bike to hold it up and you won't need a stand.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Registered
51 Posts
Easy to DO

Use a brake tool for reinstalling springs on drum brakes. It works in 2 seconds. It looks like a screwdriver with a v-blade on it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Bravo to redrazor!

Not having the strength of a gorilla, mounting the spring before installing the stand worked best for me.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Another way you can put these springs on is to place washers or nickels between the coils on the spring to lengthen it. Just give it a little bend, shove a washer into one of the gaps and move on to the next coil. Saves some busted knuckles.

Also, if you have ever put an exhaust system on a bike that used springs to hold it together there should have been a little hooked spring puller with it. If you know anyone with a dirt bike or sportbike they probably have one.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Spring first is how we do it here. no tools needed other the the wrench to remove the nut

1 - 9 of 9 Posts