1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is what i found at http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photo...RodSpecial.htm

2008 harley-davidson VRSCDX Night Rod Special PERFORMANCE
Engine Torque6 (per SAE J1349):
• North America 85 ft. lbs. @ 7000 rpm (115.26 NM @ 7000 rpm)
• World 83 ft. lbs. @ 7500 rpm (112.55 NM @ 7500 rpm)
• France opt. Germany 78 ft. lbs. @ 7000 rpm (105.77 NM @ 7000 rpm)
• Japan 79 ft. lbs. @ 7000 rpm (107.12 NM @ 7000 rpm)
Lean Angle (per SAE J1168): Right: 32° Left: 32°
Fuel Economy7 ESPFI (EPA urban/highway test): 34/42 mpg (6.92/5.60 L /100 km)

Mine will be a 2008 french VRSCDX...

What can I do to have same torque as you USA guys ?

Thanks for advices and comments.

Hugues

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
The components that restrict power on the French VRSC bikes are the small diameter velocity stacks. You'll see significant improvement by changing to the larger 29438-01 & 29521-01 (front & rear) versions. You'll also need to modify the ECM (German dealer or with a SERT) or add a fuel enricher for this to work and not cause engine damage.

I don't know French laws but could imagine that this modification would only be legal for use on private roads.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wouah ! That's precise.

I tried to find 29438-01 & 29521-01 (front & rear) part into HD catalog, but nothing.

What's velocity stacks ? on carburator ?
Fuel enricher ? as powercommander or best ?

Thanks to be clear for a novice.

Have a good day.

Hugues

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Those part numbers are from the VRSC Parts Catalog. You won't find these on the HD website or in the HD Accessories Catalog. The latest version of this part book is 99457-07A. Although the book for the 2008 models is not available I doubt that these part numbers have changed.

The velocity stacks are installed above the throttle body inside the air filter. The VRSC bikes are all fuel injected (no carburetor), but velocity stacks are often used for both systems. They normally function as an open tube resonator in the intake system to enhance air intake but on the HDI 98 HP VRSC these are intake air restrictors to limit HP.

Concerning the fuel enricher, I'm not sure what's best for the new 2008 bikes with the oxygen sensor hardware. In the U.S. where emission testing isn't required the most adjustable system will be one that replaces the factory ECM with a programmable unit that uses "wide band" O2 sensors in place of the "narrow band" Nernst sensors that the '08 bikes come with (e.g., Daytona VRFI-D). The HD SERT and Dynojet PCIII are also possible solutions as well as some of the "pulse width modulators" (see the forum V-ROD EFI section). The 2008 bikes are too new for any concrete answers at this time. I would check with VRSC tuners in Europe that have modified the intake restricted bikes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Salut Hughes, according to HD website, the torque values are equivalent besides the fact that on the French model the max torque is at a lower RPM (which is good!):
US: 84.0 ft.lbs. @ 7000 rpm
France: 110 Nm (81.4 ft.lbs.) @ 6200 rpm

I'm not sure it's worth the assle and the cost (HD download or fuel management system) for only 3% increase...

·
SpeedoDocter
2,364 Posts
when the bike is unther warranty i would not modify it ....
but the stack's are cheap(17$)and the standard/stock download for your ECM could be a free download from HD (try belgium if your dealer wont do this)

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
I'm not sure about this different Velocity Stack thing.

If you take off the international front pulley (30 tooth) and swap it with a US domestic pulley (28 tooth) you'll pretty much be right on the numbers.

IMVHO.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Eh? What has the final drive ratio got to do with it?

·
SpeedoDocter
2,364 Posts
the part numbers are written on the stacks itself,and my 'old' 2002 parts book gives 98 hp/french numbers (will look in that now)

29464-01 velocity stack front- 98 H.P. (HDI)
29484-01 velocity stack rear - 98 H.P. (HDI)

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
rjrivero said:
I'm not sure about this different Velocity Stack thing.

If you take off the international front pulley (30 tooth) and swap it with a US domestic pulley (28 tooth) you'll pretty much be right on the numbers.

IMVHO.
Trust me RJ. Those velocity stacks on the 98 HP HDI models are the power restricters.

·
Registered
50 Posts
stever975 said:
Trust me RJ. Those velocity stacks on the 98 HP HDI models are the power restricters.

That's what my stealer told me. He also told me the HD download would cost me around $300...

·
SpeedoDocter
2,364 Posts
The dealer told me 250Euro's,
But there are also 'free' downloads ,so i think the stock one is one of those
jou should ask the dealer,he can look into that

·
fire up !
700 Posts
stever975 said:
taken from the 07 parts manual ... needless to say nrs. 20 & 21 are the HDI ones (parts 29566-06 & 29568-06)
nrs. 12 & 15 (parts 29438-01 & 29521-01) are called 'velocity stacks 115 HP' and the HDI's are called 'velocity stacks 105 HP' so that's 5 HP over the 100 HP limit but i guess the ECM programming for France will cut off the excess
my 07DX is a Belgian DX hence a HDI version so i just pulled my airbox etc. to find out which ones i have and what do i see ? see pic ... the '115 HP' version ... parts manual nowhere says 'HDI except France, Germany, ...' so either the French bikes already leave KC with restricted stacks or all European bikes are being shipped with '115 HP' velocity stacks but French, German,... dealers have to change them to '105 HP' ones upon arrival ? when Hugues pulls his airbox we'll know for sure
grtz

Attachments

·
SpeedoDocter
2,364 Posts
on the first page of the partsbook/manual is explained what the VIN number consists of ,if it states ****HAZ********** it is a vrsca1130cc ,if HAA it is a vrsca1130cc-98 H.P.HDI

·
fire up !
700 Posts
ANNIEZZ said:
on the first page of the partsbook/manual is explained what the VIN number consists of ,if it states ****HAZ********** it is a vrsca1130cc ,if HAA it is a vrsca1130cc-98 H.P.HDI
my VIN says HHZ meaning a DX w/engine "Revolution, 1130cc liquid-cooled, fuel injected" so meaning it's a 115 HP bike, otherwise it should read HHA meaning a DX w/engine "Revolution, 1130cc liquid-cooled, fuel injected, 105 HP HDI only"
conclusion : i have a HDI bike (sprockets, belt, catalytic converter,...) but with a non-HDI engine... oh well never mind, i like this combo, after tunes & dyno it showed 116.55 RWHP (DIN) & 106.42 Nm and runs perfect so only :D here !

·
SpeedoDocter
2,364 Posts
Roadhog said:
my VIN says HHZ meaning a DX w/engine "Revolution, 1130cc liquid-cooled, fuel injected" so meaning it's a 115 HP bike, otherwise it should read HHA meaning a DX w/engine "Revolution, 1130cc liquid-cooled, fuel injected, 105 HP HDI only"
conclusion : i have a HDI bike (sprockets, belt, catalytic converter,...) but with a non-HDI engine... oh well never mind, i like this combo, after tunes & dyno it showed 116.55 RWHP (DIN) & 106.42 Nm and runs perfect so only :D here !
Looked at your gallery,...Thats a bada$$ bike you have there road.sooooeweet TIRE ....m'about to do 260 reactor setup(ordering this week)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
US velocity stack == French velocity stack

During the time i was waiting for my VROD, i purchased to the states the 29438-01 & 29521-01 (front & rear) velocity stacks...
Receive my VROD one week ago and just look stack velocity number... it's the larger 29438-01 & 29521-01 (front & rear)... So the same one as you !

For my understanding, it's not this wich limit the power.

What do you think about ?

Thanks.
Hugues

·
madbiker39
21 Posts
Salut Hugues,
si tu as la réponse concernant le moyen de bridage des versions francaises, ca m'interesse; J'ai un night rod de 2006 et ca semble difficile d'obtenir plus de couple, voir de chevaux. meme avec pas mal de modifs.

if you have the response for the way french bikes have less power, i'm interested. i have a 2006 VRSCD and it seems difficult to have more torque and power, even with lots of modifications.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts