Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to you all :notworth:

I am new to this forum, as just couple days ago bought a vrod and completly rebuilding it. I have gave my frame to powder coating in to sparkling black and have now a problem, as the idiots in the motor shop did not take out the fork lock. I managed to tke it out and want to disssasamble it to get it cleaned. Do you know how to take it apart when it is aout of the frame? In Poland it is almost impossible to buy a new one :(
Pleeeeees help! I will post some picturess of the paint, as i think it rocks!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
should be simple like a keeper pin or a direction to hold the key in the lock? Im curious to know also....

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
I don't know if you can take apart the lock. You're better off ordering a new one, I'm afraid.

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
Find a regular Lock smith somewhere. Should be able to help.

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
Here is a better picture taken from a 2007 service manual. Sorry Al.

Attachments

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Mine is from an 07 manual.You have to click on yours twice to make it legible too.It's the forum not my scanner,but at least the guy looking for his answer got it.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
"right click" on the thumbnail and choose to open it in a "new window" or "new tab". Then you can increase the size so it is legible.

Are you having a problem with the fork lock? I know it went through powdercoating, but is there now an issue?

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
If you print the image it will come out as 8 1/2x11 as will yours Al.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guys, thanks for the attention, but, as you can reed in my first post, I have managed to take it out from the frame, as I have the service manual. The problem is that it is out from the frame and can't turn it. I need to take it apart, tha is probably take out the retaining pin, but how? Than I think all of the lock should come out from the barell, so I can clean it and put it back.

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
That's why I said to take it to a lock smith.

·
Another Aussie
91 Posts
Hello to you all :notworth:

I am new to this forum, as just couple days ago bought a vrod and completly rebuilding it. I have gave my frame to powder coating in to sparkling black and have now a problem, as the idiots in the motor shop did not take out the fork lock. I managed to tke it out and want to disssasamble it to get it cleaned. Do you know how to take it apart when it is aout of the frame? In Poland it is almost impossible to buy a new one :(
Pleeeeees help! I will post some picturess of the paint, as i think it rocks!
Everyone must work quickly in Poland!
You bought a VROD, completely disassembled it, sent the frame to the Powder Coaters, got it back and then took out the fork lock all in a couple of days???????????????????????????WTF:D

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I don't think there are any plastics inside the actual tumbler assembly. Since it is useless the way it is anyway and you are stuck without it, I would suggest soaking the entire tumbler assembly in a paint stripping chemical, washing it and then blowing it out thoroughly with compressed air. After cleaning it, soak the tumbler assembly in a light oil and then try to exercise it. I don't think the pin can be knocked out unless the key can be turned part way to expose the mating passage. If that doesn't work, a new assembly can be ordered directly from the USA, but will have a different key I'm sure.:ithappen:
Good Luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts