Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I grabbed a copy of the service manual and started looking at the oil change videos on YouTube. And then I realized the videos that were out there didn't follow the service manual and didn't share torque specs. They glossed over a lot of stuff... So I decided to make my own very detailed how to change your v-rod oil video.

If you're picky like me and want things done how a Harley dealer would do it, but you're cheap like me and don't want to actually pay a Harley dealer to do it, this one's for you.

Video here:

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I grabbed a copy of the service manual and started looking at the oil change videos on YouTube. And then I realized the videos that were out there didn't follow the service manual and didn't share torque specs. They glossed over a lot of stuff... So I decided to make my own very detailed how to change your v-rod oil video.

If you're picky like me and want things done how a Harley dealer would do it, but you're cheap like me and don't want to actually pay a Harley dealer to do it, this one's for you.

Video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5e1oHlaTPI
Cerainly wouldn't want it done how a Harley dealer would do it!!!:D:D

Nice video BTW

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thanks. Good Video.
My 2 Cents.

Last couple times I changed it I got the Drain Plug loose first and and just snugged it up Got the Oil hot, then put the rear wheel up on a a 2x4 so it pointed down more towards the drain hole and them Drained it. -
picked that up on the forum - think that get a little more oil out

Installed a Dimple Magnetic plug last change -

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Good Video.
My 2 Cents.

Last couple times I changed it I got the Drain Plug loose first and and just snugged it up Got the Oil hot, then put the rear wheel up on a a 2x4 so it pointed down more towards the drain hole and them Drained it. -

I like that tip. Definitely not in the service manual but I like it. I had the bike open for over an hour and it was still dripping out :bash:

·
Registered
976 Posts
Thanks. Good Video.
My 2 Cents.

I do the same . I lift up the rear end and lots of oil comes out .

·
Registered
308 Posts
Dimple: A magnetic Drain plug. Supposed to catch and hold metal bits and pieces.
Nothing on it this year...
Some cut open used oil filtes to check for metal bits.
Precautionary check for possible engine issues.

·
VRSC est -03
3,094 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts