Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How stiff, or how much travel is there in your rear brake pedal?

A couple weeks ago I bled my brakes, front and rear using a vacuum bleed. I have the means to also activate and bleed the ABS so I did that as well. Everything seemed to go fine, but my rear pedal was spongy AF afterwards.

Well, a couple days ago, I bled the rears again, this time using the old school manual method and bled the ABS system again. Actually I did it twice. But the pedal still seems a little spongy or soft.

If I pump it up, I can barely move the pedal. But if I don't, there's quite a bit of travel in it. It still activates the brakes. It will still slow me down and even stop me. I was even able to activate the ABS by just slamming on the rear brakes.

So now I'm trying to figure out if it's in my head. Maybe there was always travel in the pedal, but I'd swear it used to be stiffer. I know there's no air in the line. This last time I ran a full quart of fluid through the rear brakes bleeding them and was very careful about not letting air in. My next step is to check the caliper for any leaks. I also managed to get brake fluid all over the caliper and rear wheel. I guess my clear tubing didn't seal around the nipple very well, so my other thought is brake fluid on the pads may make it feel soft, less responsive.

How does your rear brake pedal feel? Is there a lot of travel? Or is it pretty stiff?

·
Registered
3,853 Posts

A couple weeks ago I bled my brakes, front and rear using a vacuum bleed. I have the means to also activate and bleed the ABS so I did that as well. Everything seemed to go fine, but my rear pedal was spongy AF afterwards.

Well, a couple days ago, I bled the rears again, this time using the old school manual method and bled the ABS system again. Actually I did it twice. But the pedal still seems a little spongy or soft.

If I pump it up, I can barely move the pedal. But if I don't, there's quite a bit of travel in it. It still activates the brakes. It will still slow me down and even stop me. I was even able to activate the ABS by just slamming on the rear brakes.

So now I'm trying to figure out if it's in my head. Maybe there was always travel in the pedal, but I'd swear it used to be stiffer. I know there's no air in the line. This last time I ran a full quart of fluid through the rear brakes bleeding them and was very careful about not letting air in. My next step is to check the caliper for any leaks. I also managed to get brake fluid all over the caliper and rear wheel. I guess my clear tubing didn't seal around the nipple very well, so my other thought is brake fluid on the pads may make it feel soft, less responsive.

How does your rear brake pedal feel? Is there a lot of travel? Or is it pretty stiff?
On my 13DX when the pads are relaxed the first push by hand on the peddle measures 1.5" until it firms up. Repeated pushes measures 1". These measurements are from the top of the lever, foot pad. I have some cushion or slight sponginess also with extra pressure on the peddle. Most likely from the rubber hose around the rear caliper. It's been like this since new and after each brake flush and ABS cycle.
Ron

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

On my 13DX when the pads are relaxed the first push by hand on the peddle measures 1.5" until it firms up. Repeated pushes measures 1". These measurements are from the top of the lever, foot pad. I have some cushion or slight sponginess also with extra pressure on the peddle. Most likely from the rubber hose around the rear caliper. It's been like this since new and after each brake flush and ABS cycle.
Ron
Ok. That's probably about what mine is then. Some others on FB were saying there's no play. Their brakes grab immediately with a stiff pedal.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Ok. That's probably about what mine is then. Some others on FB were saying there's no play. Their brakes grab immediately with a stiff pedal.
FB pretty much explains it. Not a place to go for tech advice. I know, I just left a couple of the groups. Thought I'd give it a shot but it's not for me. Way too much bad advice there and what some of them told you qualifies. There has to be play or the pads would never release.
Ron

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have an 08 DXA. After the recall on ABS modules, the discontinuing of my failed ABS module, and the fact that I lost brakes from the failed ABS module I went a different route. I replaced all the brake lines and did away with the ABS module. My brakes were very spongy before and now they are very stiff. I do not know if it was the brake lines or the module, but there was a definite change in the responsiveness. I am much happier with them now.

·
Registered
967 Posts
FB pretty much explains it. Not a place to go for tech advice. I know, I just left a couple of the groups. Thought I'd give it a shot but it's not for me. Way too much bad advice there and what some of them told you qualifies. There has to be play or the pads would never release.
Ron
Couldn't agree more! Some of the advice spouted on there is mind boggling to say the least!!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: installed new pads and bled the system one more time. Brakes are MUCH better. Much stiffer pedal now. I'm a happy camper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts