Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How stiff, or how much travel is there in your rear brake pedal?

A couple weeks ago I bled my brakes, front and rear using a vacuum bleed. I have the means to also activate and bleed the ABS so I did that as well. Everything seemed to go fine, but my rear pedal was spongy AF afterwards.

Well, a couple days ago, I bled the rears again, this time using the old school manual method and bled the ABS system again. Actually I did it twice. But the pedal still seems a little spongy or soft.

If I pump it up, I can barely move the pedal. But if I don't, there's quite a bit of travel in it. It still activates the brakes. It will still slow me down and even stop me. I was even able to activate the ABS by just slamming on the rear brakes.

So now I'm trying to figure out if it's in my head. Maybe there was always travel in the pedal, but I'd swear it used to be stiffer. I know there's no air in the line. This last time I ran a full quart of fluid through the rear brakes bleeding them and was very careful about not letting air in. My next step is to check the caliper for any leaks. I also managed to get brake fluid all over the caliper and rear wheel. I guess my clear tubing didn't seal around the nipple very well, so my other thought is brake fluid on the pads may make it feel soft, less responsive.

How does your rear brake pedal feel? Is there a lot of travel? Or is it pretty stiff?

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
How stiff, or how much travel is there in your rear brake pedal?

A couple weeks ago I bled my brakes, front and rear using a vacuum bleed. I have the means to also activate and bleed the ABS so I did that as well. Everything seemed to go fine, but my rear pedal was spongy AF afterwards.

Well, a couple days ago, I bled the rears again, this time using the old school manual method and bled the ABS system again. Actually I did it twice. But the pedal still seems a little spongy or soft.

If I pump it up, I can barely move the pedal. But if I don't, there's quite a bit of travel in it. It still activates the brakes. It will still slow me down and even stop me. I was even able to activate the ABS by just slamming on the rear brakes.

So now I'm trying to figure out if it's in my head. Maybe there was always travel in the pedal, but I'd swear it used to be stiffer. I know there's no air in the line. This last time I ran a full quart of fluid through the rear brakes bleeding them and was very careful about not letting air in. My next step is to check the caliper for any leaks. I also managed to get brake fluid all over the caliper and rear wheel. I guess my clear tubing didn't seal around the nipple very well, so my other thought is brake fluid on the pads may make it feel soft, less responsive.

How does your rear brake pedal feel? Is there a lot of travel? Or is it pretty stiff?
I answered in the General section of your post.
Ron

1 - 2 of 2 Posts