Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Dj, Vrodder
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking my bike to an outta town dealer and getting rid of my pc3 and getting the sert and it dyno tuned. Thing is, just like my local dealer over the phone this dealer has already told me i need baffles in my pipes. I have the vmod style cut. They say i don't have any back pressure. Of course they say also they will tune it anyway i want to have it but twice on the phone said i should be running some kind of pipe with baffles and they don't recommend the current pipe setup.

How should i respond when they say I have no back pressure? I told the one guy already that if back pressure is an issue, how come my bike runs stronger than before i added the pc3 and did the cut and high flow filter? I really don't know what else to say to them.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Go elsewhere, Its quite Obvious they Dont know what they are doing Or Dont really want to to work on your bike. I wish All Businesses where this Openly Ignorant Before they do the job hired to do instead of finding out Afterwards.

·
Premium Member
5,718 Posts
:them: there is still back pressure caused by the cross-over in the 3rd volume.

·
Dj, Vrodder
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
closest other dealer with a dyno is twice as far as them.... which puts it at about 3 hours away. This was not the dyno guy telling me this, just the service counter person.

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
The dealer is right, V-Rod's run better with some back pressure. The reason yours ran better after the pipes and PC-III is because you added a PC-III.
Several people here have reported that at dyno shoot outs, the stock pipes consistently produce the best horsepower. Same dyno, same day, many different bikes. That's valid data, and consistent with what the dealer is telling you.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Sounds about in line with what I heard when I had my bike dyno tuned. Told me my Bubs were less than desirable in the hp department, and that the rev tech dfo wouldn't tune properly throughout the rpm band with them. Basically we tuned it for a lower rpm cruising mode and they did well for what they had to work with. Bike certainly ran better after they were done.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
V-Modded mufflers w a low restriction air filter and using a SERT to tune on a dyno should not take a qualified tech more than 2 hours to tune this set up.
This is one of the easiest set ups to tune,and one of the best sounding and performing on a stock Revo engine there is.
Find someone that knows the SERT and the V-Rod.You'll be much more happy doing this,even if you have to shop for a few days.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
V-Modded mufflers w a low restriction air filter and using a SERT to tune on a dyno should not take a qualified tech more than 2 hours to tune this set up.
This is one of the easiest set ups to tune,and one of the best sounding and performing on a stock Revo engine there is.
Find someone that knows the SERT and the V-Rod.You'll be much more happy doing this,even if you have to shop for a few days.
:them: believe the standard VMOD with tuner is good for +5hp over stock

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
:them: believe the standard VMOD with tuner is good for +5hp over stock
It is.
If I remember correctly,my 03 made 104 at the rear wheel in stock form.Now it's at 109.
The pipes and filter don't really make hp,they actually let out what's already there.

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
This is the point which I always I always say wtf?

You gained 5 pony's when you changed the air filter, the exhaust and had it dyno tuned, yet you credit the entire increase to the pipes. Why? I would assume all of the increase to be due to the tune.

·
V-Mod.com
581 Posts
MalcomX, Its a "package" a team if you will. The stock pipes work the best with a stock tune. If you change how the Bike breaths, you will most surely increase or decrease power, or at least move the "Power band". The Tune is to match what mods you have done to the intake and exhaust system, keeping them [ the package ] at peak efficiency. You may see increases with just a "tune" on a stock bike because the feds have restrictions on emissions and as such the bikes are very lean. You richen your stock bike you will gain some power, just because you BTU output is better.
So, its not "Just Pipes" its a package, Because you wil gain more power with a good pipe and a tune, then just a tune. That has been proven on the Dyno many many times.

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
MalcomX, Its a "package" a team if you will. The stock pipes work the best with a stock tune. If you change how the Bike breaths, you will most surely increase or decrease power, or at least move the "Power band". The Tune is to match what mods you have done to the intake and exhaust system, keeping them [ the package ] at peak efficiency. You may see increases with just a "tune" on a stock bike because the feds have restrictions on emissions and as such the bikes are very lean. You richen your stock bike you will gain some power, just because you BTU output is better.
So, its not "Just Pipes" its a package, Because you wil gain more power with a good pipe and a tune, then just a tune. That has been proven on the Dyno many many times.
I've heard that before, but I've never even once seen it proven. What I have read, right here on this forum, is people at a dyno shootout saying the stock pipes produced the most horsepower. The two positions can't be reconciled, the available evidence points to the increase coming from the tune, not the pipes.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
I've heard that before, but I've never even once seen it proven. What I have read, right here on this forum, is people at a dyno shootout saying the stock pipes produced the most horsepower. The two positions can't be reconciled, the available evidence points to the increase coming from the tune, not the pipes.
I think that tends to be because people use silly pipes chosen for cosmetic reasons. The stock pipes are good (and consequently huge and heavy), but you are not going to be able to get rid of THAT much noise without a significant degree of restriction. V-Modded pipes are almost BOUND to perform better (assuming a matching tune). Pipes properly designed from scratch to produce power without worrying much about noise should do better again - the gotcha being "properly designed", because sadly in the V-Rod market there is very little demand for things that actually work.

The main reason for chucking away the stock pipes though is they really do weigh a ton, which slows the bike down and messes up the balance.

·
revolt on
44 Posts
i want to make mine a little louder but dont want to lose power.. same power will do just a little more noise. so what would be the best package for me?? 2010 dx.

·
JeffC 1/2 to 300mph!
5,733 Posts
The dyno shootouts give you a good idea of what works consistently. Keeping in mind pipes, filter, fueler help- you are still talking about a handful of HP. You are just getting the stock motor to it's peak as Steve said.

There is still other factors that come into play, wheels, tires, tire pressure, shocks, gas, oil and a few more.

While the Screaming Eagle pipes with filter, fueler and a tune looked to be the best bang for the buck (they always edged out the stock pipes) you are still talking about by a small margine.

The guys with the really loud pipes had to work a little harder to get back what they threw away just for noise. That's again where the V-mods still worked better than straight through pipes.

I think there are some good pipes out there now- a little more thought has been engineered into them instead of just "how loud can we get?" Now you can get a little noise and not suffer a loss.

The guys running on the track are not running stock pipes.

What I realized after first throwing money at my bike, was you get a little for a few hundred dollars. You start getting a lot for a few thousand.

For most the guys that are new here- they need to decide if the penny ride in front of Wal-Mart is fast enough or go to the amusement park and pay for the roller coaster :D.

·
V-Mod.com
581 Posts
dont get me wrong! The factory goes to great trouble and expense to make their system have the best power possible and stay within the Feds requirements. They are on the lean side down low and they have to be, thats why a "TUNE" which is usually making the bike richer will make more power.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts