Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The service manual says to change oil every 5000 miles. Does this sound like a long time to go between oil changes? How often are most of the forum members changing their oil and filter?

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
Mobile1 -- every 3k

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Considering that bikes don't ususally get ridden as often or as far as cars do I follow the 2500 mile rule. That puts me in sync with the scheduled service and gives me the peace of mind that the bike is getting the best. I do 5000 intervals on all my cars.

Over 20 years, 20+ cars, 10 boats (1 race boat) and 7 motorcycle without a single engine problem, I must be doing something right ;)

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
mjw930 said:
Considering that bikes don't ususally get ridden as often or as far as cars do I follow the 2500 mile rule.
The manual states that you should follow a 5000 mile schedule for NORMAL use - but as MJW correctly points out, the sort of use that most of us give our bikes probably puts us in the SEVERE category. For example, short trips (under 20 miles), dusty, stop-and-go, hot, or cold operation all count as severe use. And unless you are doing most of your V-Rodding on 40 mile freeway commutes in mild weather, you are probably in the severe use category too.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good information. Thanks to all that responded.

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Am at +5,000. Oil analysis says "no required action". So I'm running both filter and oil, submitting new analysis every 2,500 miles until the report calls for required action.

Running AMSOIL and OEM HD filter for V-Rod.

·
Registered
223 Posts
2500 is a good measure. Your oil will still be good, but I like the comfort of knowing what my motor is doing.

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
2500miles for me.The fresher the oil the better.Syn3

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you ride a v-rod as it was intended....that is by definition "severe conditions" . After a great deal reading and talking,I am using syn3, H-D filter, and will change every 2000 mi.
My first change was after 650 mi. of recomended break-in riding and the oil looked awfull!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts