Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Dean
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today it took me about 3.5 hours to wash (yes I use a hose), dry, wax and polish my AW.

When I tell my wife that I am going to clean my bike....she usually says, "I will see you in 4 hours"!

I am assuming it could vary depending on how much chrome or powder coated parts you have.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Today it took me about 3.5 hours to wash (yes I use a hose), dry, wax and polish my AW.

When I tell my wife that I am going to clean my bike....she usually says, "I will see you in 4 hours"!

I am assuming it could vary depending on how much chrome or powder coated parts you have.
Normally once a week for 30 mins, but I've been in the rain a few times, for this, at least two hours.

·
Dean
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
You can clean a bike?

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
An hour or so.
I don't ride in the rain, the bike is indoors when I'm not riding it, so it's never all that dirty. I also don't wash it, the water around here leaves water spots that you need a grinder to remove.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
if I happen to need to polish the wheels, it will take me about an hour. Just washing, hosing, and waxing is 30 minutes max

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I spend an average of 2 hours a week keeping the 4 bikes that are tagged for the road and my wife's car in shape.
I use soap and water too.I have to or the paint,and the soft aluminum would be scratched all to hell.
Between the Softail and the Mustang,keeping on top of the leather is a task.All the other cleaning,waxing,polishing and general maintenance is not a big deal because none of the five vehicles are ever completely filthy.I do a little here and there,and this pretty much keeps them in shape.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,147 Posts
If my wife helps me we can detail the whole bike in less than an hour. By myself, it takes me twice as long so I only do that when I want to vegg, yeah that is a nice rest for me.

·
Dean
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If my wife helps me we can detail the whole bike in less than an hour. By myself, it takes me twice as long so I only do that when I want to vegg, yeah that is a nice rest for me.
Maybe that is why it takes me so long...it is my alone time. I will turn the radio on...and have a few drinks while cleaning/detailing.

It is not just the bike that takes me several hours...it is my truck or my wife's two cars. My wife will only let me clean one vehicle per day.....cuz she says it takes me to long.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,147 Posts
Maybe that is why it takes me so long...it is my alone time. I will turn the radio on...and have a few drinks while cleaning/detailing.

It is not just the bike that takes me several hours...it is my truck or my wife's two cars. My wife will only let me clean one vehicle per day.....cuz she says it takes me to long.
I'm there with ya! I do like to turn on music and I don't really rush. It is quite relaxing.

·
'00 107" FXD, '07 AW
1,232 Posts
Both the Vrod and Dyna take maybe 15 or 20 minutes whenever I consider them to be dirty, usually once every 4 or 5 tanks of gas except when I ride them at dusk during bug season, around harvest time, then I wash them everytime I get home. Pressure spray with a water nozzle, spray S100 everywhere, wipe quickly with a wet rag, rinse it off and towel dry.

·
SJP↓My Horse↓
460 Posts
i don't understand people that spend all that time cleaning. I can't stand a dirty bike and usually clean my bike once every two days, but with soap water and drying it only takes 15 minutes top, and thats a good wash, not a half ass job. I could see it taking longer if you had to polish chrome, but not that much longer, when I wash and wax the 67 camaro, it takes about an hour and about 30 minutes of that hour is letting the wax dry. If you stay on top of it, it really doesn't take that long to clean.

·
Personal Fabricator
62 Posts
30-45 minutes once a week mostly just dust/road grit and lots of bugs
Glass-plus and a couple microfiber towels does the trick nicely

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
I think its a Winter Mindset. People in warm areas who ride all year don't seem to sit around and do nothing in a garage with their bikes and instead ride them. But if your used to spending Months & Months OFF the bike it makes sense that you create other activities to do bike related. I imagine in January sitting on it and making Vroom Vroom sounds gets old.
If i put the bike on the lift to clean it it will take 5 minutes longer than not as I have t put the bike on and off the lift. But in reality it takes Less time to "Clean" it that way.

·
Registered
69 Posts
60 to 90 minutes easily every week. everyone gives me shite over it at work about it but at a bar friday night i was told that was the meanest cleanest harley the had ever seen. chix love the dx:boobs:

1 - 20 of 64 Posts