Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to find out just what percentage of HD sales since 2002 are from the VRod line? I am going to guess Low compared to other models. If its so it makes sense that there are very few dealerships with parts on hand or Techs that are seasoned. I know everyone here thinks it should be even with other models blah blah blah but big business doesnt survive like that. You cater to you biggest client. My dealer still has a VROD wall, the dust on those parts is thick.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I think the HD Parts for the v-rods are limited at best, and to me it seems most of us go aftermarket anyhow. my dealer has no v-rod parts in stock and I have only seen one that has a parts section for VRSC (in Vacaville Ca) but the parts that they stock I wouldnt buy anyhow. I guess I just kinda got used to ordering anything I need or want.

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
vrod sales is less than 10% and probably close to 6% of all sales annually. I read that in a publication a while back, don't have the source right now.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mnerren said:
vrod sales is less than 10% and probably close to 6% of all sales annually. I read that in a publication a while back, don't have the source right now.
Well with that low of a percentage it all makes sense. I too would cater to the other clientel too if I was a HD dealership, between local competetion and the internet Vrod business is Low. THey are there to make money, not stock shelves with stuff that Might sell. I also understand why there is little after market (Comparitavly) such as One set of Crash Bars, 3 companies that make the tires etc.. Maybe when the sales go up, more products will be available.

·
John
2,700 Posts
Only if you own a v-rod (and have owned conventional HD's in the past) would you understand what a superior platform the v-rod is compared to all the other Harley models.

This runs parallel to v-rods and Mac computers.

Only Mac users that also use Window's every day can see the real world comparison between Macs and the VRSC and Windows and air-cooled Harley's.

The superior platform is overlooked, misjudged and disparaged by the main stream...

:D

·
Registered
224 Posts
The fact of the matter is that the Vrod, in whatever iteration, is a niche market at the present time, and will not ever be able to compete with the other HD's in market sales until several things happen. For one, it is a relatively small platform compared to other HD's, so big guys don't fit so well on it. (please, I'm speaking in generalities here...there are exceptions to everything). It is NOT a comfortable two up bike for extended rides. It is aimed at a predominately younger riding group and not the 50+ year old riders who buy most of the other HD models (I'm one of them). When they put the Revo engine configuration (modified, of course) in a Bagger platform, built for long distance riding and comfort, even the old school guys will eventually come over to the water cooled side. It's still a Harley...it's right on the guages:) That day is coming, sooner than later...then everybody here can complain that they "ruined" the Vrod by making it a "bagger". But, there will still be stripped down models, just like there are in the Air Cooled bikes...just different frames for different applications.

It's funny, I'm also a member of cvoharley.com, and 99% of the membership there own HD's top of the line models. All of these guys (and ladies) are performance oriented and have OCD like you can't even imagine (myself included). I have NEVER heard a single one of them say anything bad about the V...in fact, quite a few own one as a second bike (myself included), and totally appreciate the bike for what it is in present configuration. Harley has way too much invested in the Vrod concept to not do something with it regarding expanding the platform to a touring model. Personally, I can't wait.

If you want to see a hot bike, take a look at the new Buell...146HP out of the box....

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
landglider said:
Only if you own a v-rod (and have owned conventional HD's in the past) would you understand what a superior platform the v-rod is compared to all the other Harley models.

This runs parallel to v-rods and Mac computers.

Only Mac users that also use Window's every day can see the real world comparison between Macs and the VRSC and Windows and air-cooled Harley's.

The superior platform is overlooked, misjudged and disparaged by the main stream...

:D
I cannot argue with any of that, I ma just saying if the Vrod was 45% of the HD sales we would walk in like Royality. We are Boat People in a giant Country that doesnt want us or except us. in 10 years it will be different.

·
1130cc Mike
1,860 Posts
In 10 years we will be looked at as visionaries. The non-lemmings of the liquid cooled HD world. Hmmm...still I could care not.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Its taken me a year and a half to meet someone who has even herd of the bike before. I get comments all the time wow is that really a harley? I didnt know they made such a pretty bike. so im sure with time we will get a little more respect and love in the HD family. expecialy now that they put gas tanks(ones that hold more than a soda can that is) not to mention big tires and ABS.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I Read somewhere the V Rod is in the top 5 of most inetrnational markets.

I would say most being sold in Europe would account for that??

I know in Australia there is a large percentage of V Rod sales. My dealer says he sells mostly V Rods:D

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts

·
Banned
4,397 Posts
Well if you look into the numbers (which I dont have) and then look at the overall investment moco has made launching the vrod, I would have to say the bike has been a major failure, actually If I had to guess I would bet that most other bike companies would have scrapped the project years ago..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts