Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Yes Rusty G's VRSCX had very close to 200,000 miles when he recently sold it - probably has clicked over 200K by now with it's new owner. But this is a "how many miles on your VRSCR ?" mileage comparison, since as sold R's are not a real comfortable touring bike to rack up big miles on, with mid ( for some ) cramping foot pegs and low handlebars. More of a roadster than a road couch - hence the competition (y):cool:

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
30,026 I finally broke 30K ! It happened going thru some really nice curves coming back from Leesburg FL. Bike Fest - very appropriate for an R model - treated her to a nice low side bath with a toothbrush & S100 prior to launching out this morning so she was looking good for breaking the 30K occasion - I'm now 4 miles ahead of Summerjim ( unless he had the audacity to ride his R again since he posted and knocked me out of #1 highest R miles so far :D ) And only 170K :oops: for me to go to catch up to Rusty G on his VRSCX !! ( OK ain't gonna happen BUT it's also not an R Model !! ) (y):cool:

·
Registered
83 Posts
30,026 I finally broke 30K ! It happened going thru some really nice curves coming back from Leesburg FL. Bike Fest - very appropriate for an R model - treated her to a nice low side bath with a toothbrush & S100 prior to launching out this morning so she was looking good for breaking the 30K occasion - I'm now 4 miles ahead of Summerjim ( unless he had the audacity to ride his R again since he posted and knocked me out of #1 highest R miles so far :D ) And only 170K :oops: for me to go to catch up to Rusty G on his VRSCX !! ( OK ain't gonna happen BUT it's also not an R Model !! ) (y):cool:
Hahaha, way to go streetrodracer!!!! I would like to add a new variable to this friendly poll and it's "valve clearance inspection on an R" and at what mileage (kilometrage, for us under the metric system rule). As far as I know, my R hasn't been inspected yet and my dealer's advice is "no need. Don't touch it until at least 60-80k km."... what about the rest of the Rs?

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Cmintegra - Mine was done by H-D right before I bought it at 12,000 Miles, along with needed battery & tires from a maintenance strict ( also Ducati riding ) owner. I actually first looked at the bike at the dealer with the seller after the service was complete, so that was a warm & fuzzy. ( Except for them not getting the fwd. cylinder breather bullet in place causing an oil leak ) But actually 12,000 Miles to me is just too early. Maybe 20,000 in average use with regular oil changes. Winding it's little neck out to 8999 Rpm with few or no oil changes ? Doing burnouts ? Yea, 12,000 Miles. SO - really worst case we are trying to catch a lack of shim & bucket clearance caused by the valve retreating into the valve seat due to wear, resulting in a valve being held open a little bit - and the resulting backfires, misfires, and unsmooth running that would cause. It's been 18,000 miles since mine was done and I see no reason to do it now since the engine runs perfect, and I run it fairly hard but don't abuse it and keep fresh Amsoil in it. So 70K Km is 43.5K Miles, and in average use that just might be OK - catching any out of range clearances before an actual operational problem occurs. For some R guys that might be too far - it's all about doing it when actual wear dictates shim adjustment necessity. Lots of variables. Your results may vary. Lots of threads on this here to read & research. Everyone's got an opinion and an A Hole. Dealers may say they did it and actually didn't, they just collected the money. If that happened to me I'd be at 30K since new with no problems. When I pull the engine to do the Stage 2 1250cc upgrade I will definitely check the clearances and report it here on the site- (y):cool:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Cmintegra - Mine was done by H-D right before I bought it at 12,000 Miles, along with needed battery & tires from a maintenance strict ( also Ducati riding ) owner. I actually first looked at the bike at the dealer with the seller after the service was complete, so that was a warm & fuzzy. ( Except for them not getting the fwd. cylinder breather bullet in place causing an oil leak ) But actually 12,000 Miles to me is just too early. Maybe 20,000 in average use with regular oil changes. Winding it's little neck out to 8999 Rpm with few or no oil changes ? Doing burnouts ? Yea, 12,000 Miles. SO - really worst case we are trying to catch a lack of shim & bucket clearance caused by the valve retreating into the valve seat due to wear, resulting in a valve being held open a little bit - and the resulting backfires, misfires, and unsmooth running that would cause. It's been 18,000 miles since mine was done and I see no reason to do it now since the engine runs perfect, and I run it fairly hard but don't abuse it and keep fresh Amsoil in it. So 70K Km is 43.5K Miles, and in average use that just might be OK - catching any out of range clearances before an actual operational problem occurs. For some R guys that might be too far - it's all about doing it when actual wear dictates shim adjustment necessity. Lots of variables. Your results may vary. Lots of threads on this here to read & research. Everyone's got an opinion and an A Hole. Dealers may say they did it and actually didn't, they just collected the money. If that happened to me I'd be at 30K since new with no problems. When I pull the engine to do the Stage 2 1250cc upgrade I will definitely check the clearances and report it here on the site- (y):cool:
That engine swap would make your R undoubtedly the meanest and rarest streetrod around man! Will wait anxiously for your report when done! Ride safe!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I rode my Duc over there on Friday. It was boring but at least it wasn’t sweltering, like it s in the spring sometimes.

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Member Beer.Tom.Rod did a stage 2 1250cc on his mountain blasting R up in B.C. I believe he is - haven't heard from him lately hope he's OK and enjoying his R Model - mukle has that 302 Hp Turbo R over there in Europe, so mine will hardly be half that power but to be honest that's probably a good thing as I already had my R sideways with 110 - 112 Hp at the rear wheel so with 302 Hp I'd be off the road and up a tree or doing 200+ Mph with a re-geared chain drive 😳( or both ) ! Too much power for me I admit it. Yea there was a 2013 Ducati MultiStrada 30K miles for sale for $ 7000 on the street in Leesburg - don't know if you saw it CycleSavage - very tempting. What model Duc do you have ? I forgot is it a Monster ? Which Monster do you have - you like it compared to the R Model ?? :cool:

·
Registered
193 Posts
I didn’t see it. I have a 2013 Diavel. It’s a good bike, kinda weird with the big back tire, but under 500 lbs. and rated at 162hp stock. My R handles a little better maybe or maybe it’s just a better feel for me with the 180 rear. Power wise, the Diavel has a stage 1 I guess you’d say, an a/c, a tune and Termi exhaust, so it’s got gobs of power. It also has the friendliest gear ratio of any Ducati I’ve had, not the usual tall gearing that a lot of Euro bikes have.
They both have their good and bad points and I’m not sure which one I would choose if I had to pick.

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Can I put the Diavel engine in my R Model ? :D I'd have to pick the R Model mainly due to looks, the 180 turning and the two up comfort for the wife - but I would love to have a Diavel as my 7th M/C - I'm sure I'd be riding off on it ) alone ) all the time, I just looked at used ones for sale, wow some real good buys out there - and you're a lucky owner of two damn nice power cruisers C/S !! (y):cool:

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Checking valve clearance is bit annoying job and takes some time but it is not astrophysics by any means. Cam chain tension makes clearance little bit narrower from sprocket side valves when there is more miles behind. Engine must be dropped from front mount approx half inch or little less to get cover off. New cover gaskets are must.

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
H-D says adjust valve clearances every 12,000 miles, 19,000 Kilometers - kinda crazy, every few oil changes REALLY ? ( H-D service profits ) So there's lots of guys here that double that and more on a regular basis, ( check the threads here - a decade and a half of discussions ) If you do keep clean oil in the engine and don't abuse the engine doubling 12 /19 K should be no problem. Generally from what I understand the clearances generally get less ( although some can get larger ) so in order to burn a valve there would have to be a lot of valve and valve seat wear to use up all the clearance where the cam lobe holds the valve open. Having said that the engine will not be running at maximum efficiency and lose mileage and power with many valves out of proper clearance adjustment since it effectively changes cam timing. A used head on e bay may be $ 199 but it may need $ 350 worth of valve and seat work and will cost $ 500 or more to install. Might leak coolant. Might be missing or have some other heads cam caps, unusable. Cheapest and best to maintain what you have vs run it to failure summerjim - if you know where bike came from call their dealer service dept. and check past mx work they should have a record if it was done. If not 30K miles is a good place to get it done, replace spark plugs, air filter, oil change etc. & freshen it up for next season. If you have service manual you can do it yourself but playing with shims if needed can be a PIA and easy to drop into the engine if not careful and covering oil drain back holes, etc. Good Luck either way you go - (y):cool:

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Agreed. 12K seems to be quite often but if you think overall costs this lash adjustment is drop in the ocean. It is proactive maintenance and shim thickness changes are normally only few steps if everything is ok. They go with 0.001"(0.025mm) steps. It is small compared to lash range 0.0078"(0.195mm) to 0.0096"(0.245mm) for intake and 0.0117"(0.295mm) to 0.0135"(0.345mm) for exhaust. So head must be heavily worn if all lash is away during regular maintenance interval.

Yes clearances tends to get less. Especially closer to chain side valves. Not more like intuitively one would think.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts