Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Phil Z.
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious how many miles this stuff is good for?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey man we run amsoil in our fleet vehicles for 15,000 and in personal vehicles for 25,000 it also depends which amsoil and filter you get
go to synspeed.com and there is a link to check oil change intervals with the diferent products

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Here is the oil change interval guide. http://www.modernoils.com/media/pdf_files/g1490.pdf

Short hand of it:
AMSOIL will guarantee their oil and filter for 2 times the OEM interval on stock motorcycles.

If you have intake, fuel, and exhaust modifications they will suggest following the OEM intervals or use oil analysis to determine when the oil needs to be changed.

Rich Moran, here on the forum, ran his AMSOIL up around 20,000 miles before the analysis reports showed that it needed to be changed. This is just to give you an idea.

·
Banned
6,735 Posts
Ken - how often do you change the oil in your bike?
I was thinking every 4K (about 2X per season), but would I be safe with 8-10K on it and only changing it once each winter?

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Pondo said:
Ken - how often do you change the oil in your bike?
I was thinking every 4K (about 2X per season), but would I be safe with 8-10K on it and only changing it once each winter?
I change mine once a year, every fall when it goes to bed. Unfortunately I am not able to rack up lots of miles due to child and work so I cannot test the limits but I would like to. I will do every 5000 when I get the 1350 done unless analysis shows I can go longer.

·
Phil Z.
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanx for the info guys.I've got 5k on this oil change and filter, thing is
i had to go with the harley filter.
hey ken, do you carry a chrome filter for our bikes?

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
zman said:
thanx for the info guys.I've got 5k on this oil change and filter, thing is
i had to go with the harley filter.
hey ken, do you carry a chrome filter for our bikes?

AMSOIL only has chrome for the V-Rod so you are in luck. Since this filter's specs are unique to the V-Rod it is more cost effective to produce one color and chrome it is.

·
Registered
414 Posts
o2man98 said:
AMSOIL only has chrome for the V-Rod so you are in luck. Since this filter's specs are unique to the V-Rod it is more cost effective to produce one color and chrome it is.
Must be a new thing. All my Amsoil filters are black.

I run my bikepretty hard. With the forced induction I tend to change my oil every 1000 miles or less. The bike doesn't get very many miles and gets an oil change twice a year.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have 2500 miles on my 07 and just switched to Harley synthetic. I will change it again at the 5000 miles service, only because I know the dealer will change it.

I plan on changing the synthetic every 5000 miles, just to make it easy to remember.

When I get back from Sturgis, I'll switch over to amsoil and amsoil filter. Everyone says order from Ken.

·
Registered
414 Posts
o2man98 said:
The old SMF136 filters were black while the new EaOM136C filters are chrome. The Ea filters came out last year.
Sounds like a waste. Chrome filter stuffed behind and under the radiator.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
cruizer said:
Sounds like a waste. Chrome filter stuffed behind and under the radiator.

I agree. The problem is so many people were complaining that the old ones were black, so we made them chrome, and now there are complaints that they are chrome. I suggest scuffing them up with sandpaper and shooting with black high-temp paint if somebody needs black.

·
Registered
339 Posts
o2man98 said:
I agree. The problem is so many people were complaining that the old ones were black, so we made them chrome, and now there are complaints that they are chrome. I suggest scuffing them up with sandpaper and shooting with black high-temp paint if somebody needs black.
Just goes to show that you can't please all the people all the time. :D

·
Comfortably numb!
1,968 Posts
o2man98 said:
Great idea! I just got my chrome one and was thinking, "hey, my DX isn't going to like this shiney thing". :)

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
o2man98 said:
Here is the oil change interval guide. http://www.modernoils.com/media/pdf_files/g1490.pdf

Short hand of it:
AMSOIL will guarantee their oil and filter for 2 times the OEM interval on stock motorcycles.

If you have intake, fuel, and exhaust modifications they will suggest following the OEM intervals or use oil analysis to determine when the oil needs to be changed.

Rich Moran, here on the forum, ran his AMSOIL up around 20,000 miles before the analysis reports showed that it needed to be changed. This is just to give you an idea.
Ken, it ws actually 10K, and th eonly reason it needed to be changed was that the OEM air filter seal is a 2 part manufacture. It has a sponge seal double taped to the rubber contact edge of th efilter. The double sided tape came loose from the foam and rubber lip causing the foam to slide to one side and allowed non-filtered air to enter the injectors raising the boron level and contaminating the AMSOIL.

If I was not doing the oli analysis, i would have not known that the condition occured.

Since that time I am running the K & N filter and change the AMSOIL every 10,000 miles. I think that changing at this interval is th eright thing to do as the K & N allows easier breathing with less restriction by the fact the filter does not filter as well as an OEM filter and thta is due to using an oil witht he filter itself. Once that oil is lost, the filtering is severly compromised.

I do th eoil on the filter every 3,000 miles, but have not had follow up analysis performed since using the K & N filter so it really is a guess if I am going to long or not long enough between interval changes.

·
Phil Z.
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
o2man98 said:
cool! I applaud their good taste and foresight. how do I sign up for the filter and oil for an oil change? I have paypal (if I can remember my password that is).anyhow thanx ken and all for the great info.

·
Genesis1130cc
1,824 Posts
Chrome, black...Black chrome. I've been buying black 'cause black was cheaper at my local stealer. Buy the sounds of things around here I'll be talking soon to Mr. Ken. Hey, what the hell, looks like I may add a little more chrome to the "A".

·
Gambler
78 Posts
Customer Feed back

Hi all

Just ordered a case of oil and 2 filters from Ken, they arrived this week, hopefully get to do the 5K service this weekend. I was surprised the filters were chrome... :dance:

Thanks Ken for the quick service.

·
Registered
72 Posts
KEN is then man, when it come to the AMISOIL OIL he took my phone call late one night, answered all my questions, and got the oil with in day's thanks again KEN.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
zman said:
cool! I applaud their good taste and foresight. how do I sign up for the filter and oil for an oil change? I have paypal (if I can remember my password that is).anyhow thanx ken and all for the great info.

Phil, I sent you a PM to answer your ordering question. Let me know if it answers everything.

Thanks, Ken

1 - 20 of 35 Posts