Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys... just interested on how many destroyer's were made ? ?
Thought would come straight to the source.......:notworth:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
hey guys... just interested on how many destroyer's were made ? ?
Thought would come straight to the source.......:notworth:
The number is 635 so I am told by a Harley Executive in the know.

Over 90% have been "fired/raced" weather they were titled or not.

That leaves 65-70 unfired at the most.

Some are still at dealers and some are with private owners.

There won't be any more made...ever....so the story goes....

Regards

Jerry

·
Registered
394 Posts
I saw one last weekend at a car show. They are certainly cool to see. I wish I could have heard it!

·
Too much fun
138 Posts
I don't know about that number. Mine is a serial # larger than 2000 (977***), I know where one is that is in the #700 range. I think they made more than 2000, especially with my bike's number...unless they serialized them differently.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I don't know about that number. Mine is a serial # larger than 2000 (977***), I know where one is that is in the #700 range. I think they made more than 2000, especially with my bike's number...unless they serialized them differently.
They were not produced with sequential serial numbers.

I asked that question back in 2006 when I initially became interested in the Destroyer heritage.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
the destroyer heads were a special casting because the port design would hit water jacket on a standard v-rod head.. no longer available from hd.. but if you sent a v-rod head to wegner automotive they still have the cnc program for the porting so i would assume after doing some welding you could have a copy of the destroyer head..several (3 i was told) of the first destroyers off the line went to a rich collector in japan.. most likely never run.. i know of at least one that is registered on the street and ridden to work in indianapolis.. how they did the registration i have no idea..

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
the destroyer heads were a special casting because the port design would hit water jacket on a standard v-rod head.. no longer available from hd.. but if you sent a v-rod head to wegner automotive they still have the cnc program for the porting so i would assume after doing some welding you could have a copy of the destroyer head..several (3 i was told) of the first destroyers off the line went to a rich collector in japan.. most likely never run.. i know of at least one that is registered on the street and ridden to work in indianapolis.. how they did the registration i have no idea..
lbrown:

I think they may have done the same thing as the person in Europe did.

They moved everythng over to a streetable frame with a legitimite serial number and the certifications from DOT etc.

I posted info on that one not too long ago 3-4 months I think.

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129673

You have to remember that the wheels need to be changed as well.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
[/B]lbrown:

I think they may have done the same thing as the person in Europe did.

They moved everythng over to a streetable frame with a legitimite serial number and the certifications from DOT etc.

I posted info on that one not too long ago 3-4 months I think.

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129673

You have to remember that the wheels need to be changed as well.
the might be what was done. a friend that works in a race car shop up there told me about it but he didn`t know how they made it legal..

·
Registered
600 Posts
I saw saw one at the Barber Motorcycle Museum this summer. I don't know if it has been raced or not but it was hooked up to a battery tender. All of the bikes in the museum can be ready to ride in fifteen minutes or less. This was one of George Barber's mandates. I was not able to get close enough to it to see the serial number.

·
Registered
411 Posts
To start off with I have 2 Destroyers. They were not a success. Here is the rest of the story. There was only supposed to be 150 built. Dealers ordered more than 250 before the first day of the show. By the end of the first day harley moved the number to 400. By the middle of the second day they said build as many as they order.

Here is why that are not a success. After the first 100 or so were sold to collectors and diehard racer like myself. The interest died. At the end of 2007 3-400 were still at dealerships. I checked 2008 over 200 were still at dealerships. Dealers that had them were stuck and the greedy dealers that orderd 5 to 10 of them were stuck with a race only bike. In the years since dealers have been discounting them. For 3 years now people that know I race from dealerships call me asking if I want another one. Prices have been from 12 to 19,000 dollars. That is a huge difference from the 32,999 MSRP. Some dealers that had the first ones were selling it way over Msrp. One dealer in texas sold their first one for $60,000. No bs.

The first year when the destroyer was having problems and harley was finding out all the weeknessess on the vrod they drop it like a hot potato. Turned all phone calls over to vance and hines. If wanted a spare motor. They were build during the run of new destroyers and the orders could only be place for a few weeks and that was it. As a racer that sucks.

The bike and its design is a success. As far as sells no.

·
Too much fun
138 Posts
As far as sales, I guess I have to agree, but I guess we can blame that on the greedy dealers. And they are a few out there...still wanting full MSRP. I bought mine for half that, so I see no reason to buy another for more. I can't afford another, but of course, I'd love to have 2. Heck, I'd be happy with another motor, but I hear that there is only 1 left in a dealership and they're an obsolete part number.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
they originally cost the dealer around 26k with the 32k list.. i had no idea some sold as low as 12k..when they built the destroyer it was from the start a one time deal and they only built what was ordered..

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
To start off with I have 2 Destroyers. They were not a success. Here is the rest of the story. There was only supposed to be 150 built. Dealers ordered more than 250 before the first day of the show. By the end of the first day harley moved the number to 400. By the middle of the second day they said build as many as they order.

Here is why that are not a success. After the first 100 or so were sold to collectors and diehard racer like myself. The interest died. At the end of 2007 3-400 were still at dealerships. I checked 2008 over 200 were still at dealerships. Dealers that had them were stuck and the greedy dealers that orderd 5 to 10 of them were stuck with a race only bike. In the years since dealers have been discounting them. For 3 years now people that know I race from dealerships call me asking if I want another one. Prices have been from 12 to 19,000 dollars. That is a huge difference from the 32,999 MSRP. Some dealers that had the first ones were selling it way over Msrp. One dealer in texas sold their first one for $60,000. No bs.

The first year when the destroyer was having problems and harley was finding out all the weeknessess on the vrod they drop it like a hot potato. Turned all phone calls over to vance and hines. If wanted a spare motor. They were build during the run of new destroyers and the orders could only be place for a few weeks and that was it. As a racer that sucks.

The bike and its design is a success. As far as sells no.
Thanks to racers like you I submit that the program was/is a success.

It brought more visability to HD, the race program and the dealer network. That translated to sales of other bikes and a growing fan base.

I agree that the replacement parts are becoming very scarce. However many of the races who you know have access to parts and motors ....for now.

I am wondering if the subs that helped to build the bike will continue to support the components they provided for at least a few more years.

I agree totally that Harley should play a role in helping to obtain replacement parts for a bike in their racing program even though the bike and the race program is now 4-5 model years old.

I don't know if I can help in any way but if there are parts/components you are looking for I will try and contact some of the people I know to see if they can help out. However I'll bet you know the same ones.

Regards

Jerry

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
i wonder why they sent calls to v-h ,,v-h was only involved in the concept of the bike, they supplied none of the parts, and wegner automotive did the port work and built the exhaust.. one of the techs at our shop worked at the motor company and was involved in the destroyer project.. as far as i know the one problem that developed was the cases trying to open at the main saddles loosing oil pressure and spinning rod or main bearings..that problem didn`t show up in the factory testing.. i would guess that most destroyers that are seriously raced have heavy duty studs and possibly a stud girdle in the bottom end now..i don`t race one so i don`t know if that is a fact but i would have done that by now if i was racing one..we have heavy duty studs in ours and after this teardown for rings we will have a doherty stud girdle in it

·
2" of dangling death
10,933 Posts
The number is 635 so I am told by a Harley Executive in the know.

Over 90% have been "fired/raced" weather they were titled or not.

That leaves 65-70 unfired at the most.

Some are still at dealers and some are with private owners.

There won't be any more made...ever....so the story goes....

Regards

Jerry
I dont know the exact number but this is pretty close, i think it was around 700

·
Registered
411 Posts
they originally cost the dealer around 26k with the 32k list.. i had no idea some sold as low as 12k..when they built the destroyer it was from the start a one time deal and they only built what was ordered..
Actually no and yes. They were build to order by the dealer and there was a short window to order the bikes. Every dealer had about 2-3 weeks after the dealer show to put the order in.

As far as the number of the bikes it was 635.

Since I have had mine since 2/06 and race both of them since. Here are all the problems that happened with my destroyer and other racers.

One has been the oil pump.......... I had two lock up on me at a races and you would have thought that the motor locked up. (there has been a revision to the pump) I was coming up to the trap and the motor acted like it was siezing and I pulled in the clutch. In gear the motor would not turn over. I got it back to the shop and was pulling the clutch out and then the oil pump then the motor turned over. I pulled the pump appart and really did not find anything. I got a new pump on the motor and ran it another 150 passes. I have helped several destroyer owners on this.

The Front wheel is sooooooo soft. You can bend it in a dyno room or like I did at a race I grabed too much front break after a burnout. The front wheel slid and the wheel was bent.

Rear wheel I had the sprocket at first coming loose. BLUE locktite.

People have had the rod bearings spin. I have not had that but I also did pin my blocks to keep that from happening.

Crank......... This is a over looked one. The finish was shit. It was not done with a micro groove belt of 800 or better and it was rough and tearing up cranks. I used to turn cracks for a living and found this.

One ahdra event a racer had the oil filter adapter fall off.

YOUR LAUNCH BOX........ Here me on this. Some how harley did something or whatever happened. You can not get a launch box any more. Hope that the one that you have does not go out. There is a fix. BUT the original box you can adjust 100 rpms at a time. The replacement is 250rpm on each click.

There are alot people out there telling racers if they want to go faster run 2 or 3 quarts of oil in their motor. DO NOT DO THIS SHIT IF YOU WANT YOUR MOTOR TO LIVE. I have seen racers doing this and burn their motors up. They also have burnt their motors up using 0 weight oil too.

2nd gear. People at first were destroying their motors because 2nd gear would come appart and take the whole motor out. This was one of harleys first big issues. Use the v&h 2nd gear it is straight cut and shaft.

If your motor starts not idleing right but will run good in upper rpms. Before doing anything else. Change the spark plugs.

This is all that the problems that I can think of at the moment.

Why did harley turn things over the v&h? Well, when the destroyers started having problems and since they have treated the destroyer like a bastard child. If you are a customer you could not call harley all call about a a destroyer got rerouted to v&h. That has been since april of 06 on. Vance and Hince has a rebuild program for the destroyer. I do mine myself.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts