Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to plan a between-deployments trip sometime in the april/may timeframe from south Georgia to Virginia Beach and back. Taking the coast on the way there, 3 days to get there, head up to Ocean City for a day or two, then 4 days coming back via Roanoke on the Blue Ridge Parkway to Asheville. The way I've got it figured right now is an 11 day trip, 9 days on the road, averaging about 280 miles a day.

This trip has blown up from a 3 day weekender to a week and a half, but I just keep adding to it, and can't seem to stop!

Just got me thinking--whats the most days you've spent on the road? I know theres a lot of folks on here who've done some amazing trips, both stateside and overseas (Portugal comes to mind...)

I'm just dreaming right now, but what else can you do when you can't ride? Just wanna hear some stories about your long trips!

Cale

·
MORE COWBELLS!!!!!
159 Posts
two weeks is about right for a long trip. just try to do a loop of the u.s.. its all good.
done it a bunch of times and it just gets better each time. thats how i roll.... and i do it on an flht!!! ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!(evil laughter)

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is 280ish miles a day a good target? I plan to stop plenty for photo ops and anytime something cool pops up on the side of the road. The way I have it planned right now leaves plenty of screw off time, but I'm worried that its coming at the expense of not getting to go see other places that are further away. Whats your average daily run on a multi-day trip?

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
280 is a good target.This will give you plenty of time for sightseeing and resting.At 70mph,along w gas and resting,you can average a solid 50 miles every hour.

·
'00 107" FXD, '07 AW
1,232 Posts
280 is a good target.This will give you plenty of time for sightseeing and resting.At 70mph,along w gas and resting,you can average a solid 50 miles every hour.
280 miles is 4 hours on the road .. take forever to get anywhere. From 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. get in an easy 300 miles and stop for lunch. Then, depending on your agenda, you can get up to another 300 miles by 7:00 p.m. Adjust down by the number of hours before bed you want to wander around whatever town you stop in for the evening. If I'm not in any hurry I try to average 60 mph but this is mostly from the Great Plains States and west; pretty rural and traffic seems to always roll right along .. in my opinion, 70 mph is tooooo slow on a motorcycle!

·
Registered
600 Posts
280 miles should be very easy to do especially if it is just you an maybe a couple of buddies. I rode 200 miles from Jasper, AL to Chattanooga, TN and back with 15 other biked to eat lunch at Sticky Fingers BBQ last Sunday. If you are going to Asheville you might as well swing on over to Robinsville, NC and ride the Dragon, US Hwy 129. You are going to be too close to miss the opportunity.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
I have ridden with Fred, and 350 to 400 is easy enough. Look at it like this: 150 to a tank, or 2 hours. Gas up, have coffee. 2 more, gas up, lunch. 2 more, gas/break. 2 more, dinner. Piece of cake. go as many days as you can. Make sure you have cold beer and a hot tub each night. Joe

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
.. in my opinion, 70 mph is tooooo slow on a motorcycle!
That's the approach I typically take, but I'm trying to do things a little different this time. I want to enjoy the whole ride, not just the end points. I chose a route up the coast, hitting a couple of ferries to the Outer Banks, and elsewhere. Staying on the coastal roads as much as possible. Coming back I'm planning on hitting the Blue Ridge Parkway, and now that James brought it up, I think I'll likely try and hit the Dragon as well. When the time starts getting closer I'll start researching more into specific places to hit and take the "I was there" photos. Right now I'm just doing some general planning, and the daily pace is whats got me wrapped around the axle. I know I could do more than 280 in a day, but I want to make sure I don't end up hauling ass past something that would have been a great place to stop and enjoy.

·
'00 107" FXD, '07 AW
1,232 Posts
Calereeves .. we all have differently riding styles, part of how I ride is to target a minimum of 500 miles per day, others riders prefer 300; but I'm a lousy tourist. The bottom lilne is for you to enjoy the ride. I also don't ride long miles on my vrod, I use my dyna for the longer rides. It is nice to have two functionally different bikes!

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
My Dad and I averaged 500 miles a day when we did out coast to coast trip in20 days back in '05. We spent 2 days in Sturgis during bike week on the way out, stayed with a cousin who lived in Seattle for 3 days, and then rode every day without reservations and when the sun started to set we would find an available Super 8 and stop for the night. One of my best times spent with my Dad and hope we get to repeat it in the not so distant future. The trip was a total of 7400 miles round trip and we only caught rain on two days.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whats the riding like on the Blue Ridge Parkway? Is it like riding on a curvy interstate, running 75mph in traffic, or is it slower paced, like a 4-lane road? I've tried to allow extra time because of the routes I've chosen, but I also don't want to get to my destination points at 2pm and have nothing to do for the rest of the day! My trip up to VA Beach is pretty set because I know people at all of my stops. I guess the best course of action may be to just plan the route for the return, and stop at whatever hotel I find along the way when I'm ready, rather than pre-planned hotels...

Edit: Google does great things when planning. Found out BRP has a 45mph speed limit for most of it, and the pics I saw were all 2-lane blacktop. Sounds like 280 miles is a good planning factor for those legs...

·
MORE COWBELLS!!!!!
159 Posts
Make sure you have cold beer and a hot tub each night. Joe[/QUOTE]

ahhhh, the jedi has listened well.....
the hot tub is worth its weight in liquid gold after a long, hard day of riding! so is loritabs
500 to 800 miles a day is a great goal for us, but not realistic for a first time/long trip rider. you will discover things you will want to change/correct about your ride to make it comfortable for your next ride, be it the bike, your riding gear, tools, or accessories(windshield). NEVER FORGET rain suit and jacket. hint; rainsuit acts like a great windbreaker when you do forget your jacket!
sidenote= josephthreedogs took my son out for his first long distance ride and broke him in right! left vegas straight to Gallup N.M.,Utah, Arizona and back. almost 1400 miles in 3 days. he ain't been the same since....

·
boo
5,211 Posts
Whats the riding like on the Blue Ridge Parkway? Is it like riding on a curvy interstate, running 75mph in traffic, or is it slower paced, like a 4-lane road?

Edit: Google does great things when planning. Found out BRP has a 45mph speed limit for most of it, and the pics I saw were all 2-lane blacktop. Sounds like 280 miles is a good planning factor for those legs...
Was on part of the BRP and then skyline drive (near charlottesville) for the first time last weekend, in the car (no bike right now). 45 mph and 2 lanes was exactly right. and i've heard it's enforced pretty strictly, though didnt see any evidence. its going to be slow. but it was really great sightseeing. shoot maybe i'll join you for part of it.

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
base on my experience, take interstate all the way and you'll get 4-500 miles a day easy. I found it boring though. I took most of my LA-Sturgis trip on old highways and make 250-350 miles a day, with plenty of stops and taking self pictures :D

·
MORE COWBELLS!!!!!
159 Posts
interstates are a easy way to get alot of miles in one day. real convenient with lots of gas & food stops. however you really got to be mindful of the 18 wheelers and other professional drivers. they're out there making a living and don't feel like waiting while you take your sweet time passing them. just remember, you're in thier workplace. interstates also offer plenty of good opportunities to pull off and change weather gear when you need to. you will soon discover the secret joy and romance of truckstops. awesome food, snack store, and auto parts section. you WILL need one one of these days. good luck on your trip!!!

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
Just did 3000 miles in 6 days.

·
'00 107" FXD, '07 AW
1,232 Posts
Sounds about right to me .. 500 miles per day is pretty easy unless you've got something other than riding on the agenda. A big hunk of any trip, or why I go on two wheels instead of four, is the ride itself.

·
MORE COWBELLS!!!!!
159 Posts
A big hunk of any trip, or why I go on two wheels instead of four, is the ride itself.[/QUOTE]

AMEN!!! well said!!! its about the journey, not the destination.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sounds about right to me .. 500 miles per day is pretty easy unless you've got something other than riding on the agenda. A big hunk of any trip, or why I go on two wheels instead of four, is the ride itself.
Thats exactly why I'm asking these questions! I want to be able to enjoy the RIDE. I think I've come to realize that I'm going about planning the trip all wrong... instead of planning where to stop along the way beforehand, I'll just find someplace to stop when I feel like stopping. If I choose to ride more than 280 miles one day, so be it, I'll just have more time in Virginia Beach when I get there. There's only 2 stops along the way that will be determined beforehand, and thats because I'll be staying with friends, but the rest I'll just plan the ride and then let the stops happen however I feel at the time.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts