Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how many "can't ride home" breakdowns have you had? Has your dependability in your Vrod gone down? Do we stay a little closer to home after a breakdown? I know I was under the impression that these bikes were rock solid, tested to the extreme. After a couple of breakdowns I am starting to wonder.

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
I trust my bike to go anywhere, my last bike if I were to take a 100 mile trip I wanted somebody with a trailer to be following me. I was left stranded a few times with my last bike, but I haven't had one bit of problems with my 02 Vrod [knock on wood]

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
02 60k highly modified miles. Never left me walking. I was stuck one time after I stopped because of a locked up TSSM but figured it out in about ten minutes and was back on the road. I would ride my bike anyplace the roads are decent. I did get stuck on a trip with my brother who led me down 10 miles of dirt road in Oklahoma which I don't care to do again. :rofl:

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
Max, your brother must be related to mine!:D

Back to the topic: 41,500 miles on my '02; no breakdowns and no temporary problems. I've carried a bag of tools 'n' tie-wraps and an emergency tire repair kit all of those miles and have never pulled either out (except to work on air-cooled bikes). Best bike I've ever had; I'd take off for the East Coast on it tomorrow. If I was to buy another bike it would be an '08 V-rod with ABS. Can't think of anything else I'd want. (Bike, that is:) )

·
aka shudude
3,174 Posts
75k and the only time I was stranded was from a flat rear tire.

shoe

·
Revolution02
3,978 Posts
Never stranded me. 15k miles~!

·
Chief
1,272 Posts
Only stranded once.... Had a drive belt break on me. Dealer said there was a problem with the older belts being defective. No big deal, a buddy of mine picked me up, but it did give him the oppurtunity to say I should have bought a Honda. A small price to pay for a trailer tow.

·
The Hawk
3,906 Posts
20,000+ on mine, with a turbo for a year, now 1350 big bore and only broke once and that was at the track when a simple oil control snap ring came out of the clutch at 9300 rpm. Trailered it back home.

Mike

·
Registered
340 Posts
None

·
Comfortably numb!
1,968 Posts
Only had it 6 months, 5k miles, but never let me down yet. Did have to ride home slow last week with a fat nail in my rear (the bike rear tire) :)

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
eggo

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well ive had to walk 3 times now, but I can say with out a dout that its not the bikes fault as to why. 1 time was a crappy stock dunlop blowing out at 2500 miles. and I ran outta gas with about 300miles on the bike and ran outta gas again with around 8k miles. I have almost 12k on the bike now and she runs like a top.

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
I rarely ride mine any further than a 1/8 mile. Sometimes I will go a 1/4 mile. Never much further. I have done this well over 500 times. At full throttle and never a hiccup. Did I mention the burnouts or Nitrous Oxide!
Bullet proof. Just my seat hurts my butt to ride any further.

·
1130cc Mike
1,860 Posts
Never. I even was able to ride it home after I layed it down to avoid a cager a couple years ago.

·
Registered
156 Posts
ndfspd said:
I was wondering how many "can't ride home" breakdowns have you had? Has your dependability in your Vrod gone down? Do we stay a little closer to home after a breakdown? I know I was under the impression that these bikes were rock solid, tested to the extreme. After a couple of breakdowns I am starting to wonder.
im just curious, what where the causes of your break downs and what happended? I rarely if ever have herd of any of the members break down with these bikes. most of the problems I have herd are from mis-mapings and things like that. I can only recall like one other occurance where a guys engine ceased up in the break in peroid and he was given a new motor and hasnt had a problem since.

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
almost 8000 miles and not a single issue other than a sore ass on long rides, sometimes....:D

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
2xs

Justboo said:
im just curious, what where the causes of your break downs and what happended? I rarely if ever have herd of any of the members break down with these bikes. most of the problems I have herd are from mis-mapings and things like that. I can only recall like one other occurance where a guys engine ceased up in the break in peroid and he was given a new motor and hasnt had a problem since.
Once when the triple sproket bolt fell out and overheated and once when the voltage regulator went bad.

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Once because of a broke belt and ran out of gas twice.:hidesbeh:

Man that bikes heavy......:rofl:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts