Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I go into work at stupid early hours, so there's not much traffic on the roads yet. There's one stoplight in particular that I have to take a left turn at, across a major highway, but it NEVER changes when I'm on the bike. So how long do you guys wait for these stupid things? I usually try to wait till one of the other lights changes (like the one going straight across the highway) and then sneak across behind them, but sometimes there's nobody there either.

I'm a little paranoid about just going through since I got a ticket for doing this once, 20 years ago when I was in the military in Georgia. That one was like 2am, and I sat there for like 5 minutes. I explained to the cop but he was just a d1ck. He said I should have taken a right instead & then done a u-turn up the road. :banghead: I think he just hated GI's, or maybe just bikes.

·
MODOHOLIC ANONYMOUS
7,448 Posts
I got a ticket for it last year headed to Sturgis... 2am, pouring rain,,, sat long enough that I put the car in park. Didn't matter to the officer.

I now wait till its green

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
In South Carolina a motorcycle can turn left on red legally after waiting 2 minutes for the light to change.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I make a right and then do a u-turn.

If you really don't want to wait then move to one of the seven states that allow "proceed with caution after stopping when the device that causes the light to change from red to green doesn't activate".

South Carolina (2008) North Carolina (2007) Wisconsin (2006), Idaho (2006) Arkansas (2005), Tennessee (2003) and Minnesota (2002),

Check out this link

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-06-10-red-light-laws_N.htm

·
redneckgearhead
267 Posts
If it's a light that I know I have trouble with, Ill wait less than a minute. But if it's a light I haven't been stopped at before I will wait a little longer. But I always keep my EMT license next to my insurance card, which usually helps during a traffic stop. :)

·
Not 1 Serious Thread
12,942 Posts
when it is the middle of the night, my bike also will not ever trigger certain lights to turn green. So waiting for the green ain't an option. I run the reds after I realize it's been awhile and it must be a light that needs to be triggered. (cannot give you any exact amount of time) On occasion I've done what the jerky cop suggested to you, but rarely. I just wait until it is completely clear and look for cops. My local popo are super cool and I know some of them from that class I took so I do not think they would ticket me. That type of thing though, it is all dependent on who pulls ya over.

On a long road trip in the middle of nowhere I had that situation on a long bridge. There was NO ONE to trigger the light and it was a bridge that only allowed one direction of traffic at a time. I think I waited 10 minutes or so then figured, I gotta cross this long bridge. 3/4s of the way across a car came from the opposite direction. I just pulled to the side of the bridge to let them pass, no big deal, but they looked to be an older couple and looked to be freaking out. I think I scared them and I'm sure they did not get why I was going when they had the green. I think that was the 1st car I'd seen on that road in an hour though. S'pose I should not have waited the 10 minutes... In that instance there was no "turning right, u-turn" option. It would have been me turning around and driving hours to a main road to re-route my journey. I think only a jerk cop would ticket for this sort of thing. I've met some of those. It is the luck of the draw. Just look hard that NO ONE is around!!!!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
California has a law about the "malfunctioning of stop lights" something like 2-3 mins or if the light cycles three times without giving you the opportunity to turn. Then you can proceed if all clear. (I had to look it up when in cali bc it was 4am and nobody else was out to trip the light to highway) Figure out what trips the light, if weight its recommended to roll over it back and forth until it trips. If magnet, they sell power magnets you can attach under the bikes.

Go to your local department and pay the $$(cheap) for all the vehicle codes in the state and find what to do on on a malfunctioning light.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
I make a right and then do a u-turn.

If you really don't want to wait then move to one of the seven states that allow "proceed with caution after stopping when the device that causes the light to change from red to green doesn't activate".

South Carolina (2008) North Carolina (2007) Wisconsin (2006), Idaho (2006) Arkansas (2005), Tennessee (2003) and Minnesota (2002),

Check out this link

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-06-10-red-light-laws_N.htm
California treats a malfunctioning traffic light as a stop sign. Wait a decent interval, then proceed when safe.

·
Not 1 Serious Thread
12,942 Posts
California treats a malfunctioning traffic light as a stop sign. Wait a decent interval, then proceed when safe.
so what was I supposed to do with my bridge situation? Proceed as I did? It was one way traffic, depending on a green from one side. I think I proceeded correctly...

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Those magnets for traffic light sensors are kind of like deer whistles.
Lol, worked for me when I had a sports bike for the magnet triggered lights. You can't even see it so it can't hurt if you are having issues.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
DeltaSS
173 Posts
There are several lights around here that I have the same issue with. I have had some limited success with performing several slow 'S' turns as I approach the limit line....

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
About 6-7 months ago many intersections around LA started to have a small graphic on one lane of the road of a person on a Bike. You pull up onto these spots and the light changes witin 15 seconds. ITs very helpful.

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
I wait for a a few minutes then take off...I purchased one of those magnets a few years ago, never installed it. I think It's still in my driver side door compartment, if I find it, I'll try it.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts