Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Jr. Lifetime Premium
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I am in the process (or trying) to get a new paint job on my Rod. My plan was to take my daughter to her birthday party on the bike so she can show off in front of her friends. I gave myself 6 weeks to get this done. Well, it has been 4 weeks and the painter has not shown any signs of starting yet. Last status I got was that they are waiting for my headlight fairing. At the rate this is moving, I doubt the bike will be ready.

So my question is, did I not plan enough time for this? What is everyone's experience on this?

·
Bone Stock B Model
8,639 Posts
bumblebee23 said:
Greetings,

I am in the process (or trying) to get a new paint job on my Rod. My plan was to take my daughter to her birthday party on the bike so she can show off in front of her friends. I gave myself 6 weeks to get this done. Well, it has been 4 weeks and the painter has not shown any signs of starting yet. Last status I got was that they are waiting for my headlight fairing. At the rate this is moving, I doubt the bike will be ready.

So my question is, did I not plan enough time for this? What is everyone's experience on this?
It depends on your painter! Who is your painter? What kind of paint job did you have done? My painter had all mine done within 3 1/2 weeks, but all I had done was black with orange racing stripes.

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
bumblebee23 said:
Greetings,

That depends on your painter, if the parts were ready or not (as you have found), the design, etc..

Mine took well over 6 weeks with JE Illusions. It was about 2 weeks after the paint was complete before I even got them because they had to be rubbed out and polished along with any other delays they may have that come up. The total wait time for me was about 9 weeks or so.

·
Jr. Lifetime Premium
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Smoothrod,

I am having a flame job done with a painted logo. My painter is a well known painter on this forum. I don't want to bad mouth anyone. I am just trying to get a gage to reset my expectations. What concerns me most is that we have not even started after 4 weeks. My original quote was this would take 3 - 4 weeks which falls in line with your experience. I guess that means 3 - 4 weeks after they start. If I knew that from the get go, I may have gone with a local painter.

Thanks for your feedback.

·
Wore Out Woodworker
1,620 Posts
I took my skins to my painter Thursday at 12:30 and got them back at 3:30 yesterday. They are black with blue metal flake. Very nice job. He works at the Caddy collision center and does side work when they are slow. I gave him $300.00 and he was happy as hell.

·
Bone Stock B Model
8,639 Posts
bumblebee23 said:
Smoothrod,

I am having a flame job done with a painted logo. My painter is a well known painter on this forum. I don't want to bad mouth anyone. I am just trying to get a gage to reset my expectations. What concerns me most is that we have not even started after 4 weeks. My original quote was this would take 3 - 4 weeks which falls in line with your experience. I guess that means 3 - 4 weeks after they start. If I knew that from the get go, I may have gone with a local painter.

Thanks for your feedback.

Well I think you can see from the guy who posted after me that they will take about 9 weeks before you have them back. Its all part of the game man, if they would have told you 9 weeks you probably wouldn't have ever sent them. Its a fine line that a small business walks when they have become very popular between taking in too much work and still satisfying customers.

Example, my black nickle wheels I was told 6 weeks and it took 3 months. The frame I had built for my project bike, I was told 6 weeks it took 4 months. I could go on and on. The motorcycle industry is chocked full of vendors who are absolutely full of shit. Its kinda like construction man any time line they give you, just double it and it will be closer to the truth.

·
Not 1 Serious Thread
12,942 Posts
smoothrod said:
Well I think you can see from the guy who posted after me that they will take about 9 weeks before you have them back. Its all part of the game man, if they would have told you 9 weeks you probably wouldn't have ever sent them. Its a fine line that a small business walks when they have become very popular between taking in too much work and still satisfying customers.
that is lame. I "get" it. The guy I see owns a bike repair shop and he has had some of the customers bikes there FOREVER. I keep asking "when dd you say this would be done?" 'cause I feel bad for the people. BUT Iguess it is as you said, for the reasons why. I still think though that business' should stick to their time estimates, we plan our lives around some of this stuff.

Bumblebee - the only one who can really tell you when you'll get it back is the painter. Be sure he knows your deadline.

·
Jr. Lifetime Premium
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the feedback.

This is what I was afraid of. I am in the technology consulting business and I give estimates all the time. Being on budget and on time is a key success metric for us. Some times we pad estimates and turn away work if we don't think we can deliver. The way we look at it is an unhappy customer will have such a negative effect that it will cancel out 10 happy customer. Maybe my work has made me to expect too much. I will loosen up and patiently wait......

·
KC Rally Vet
3,172 Posts
bumblebee23 said:

This is what I was afraid of. I am in the technology consulting business and I give estimates all the time. Being on budget and on time is a key success metric for us. Some times we pad estimates and turn away work if we don't think we can deliver. The way we look at it is an unhappy customer will have such a negative effect that it will cancel out 10 happy customer. Maybe my work has made me to expect too much. I will loosen up and patiently wait......
Since you are in the technology business, think about what you think when a software Company says "the new version will be out in August." Same game. I would rather wait a little for good work than have somebody hurry things and screw it up.

·
Jr. Lifetime Premium
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
vrodrjs said:
Since you are in the technology business, think about what you think when a software Company says "the new version will be out in August." Same game. I would rather wait a little for good work than have somebody hurry things and screw it up.
I know that game way too well.... I agree with you 100%

·
Bone Stock B Model
8,639 Posts
bumblebee23 said:

I'm a network engineer and when I give a client a time frame I have to stick to it period. If I don't I will loose that client in the end no question. The corp and real world is held to and entirely different standard than the motorcycle industry. Its bullshit but what are you gonna do? They have your shit and have had for you said 3 or 4 weeks, if you get it back you will have wasted that time plus time to find a new painter etc. In the end you will most likely be happy with the paint, but it doesn't make it right that they gave a you a false time line.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
6,904 Posts
bumblebee23 said:
Greetings,

This is pretty much why I painted my own bike.

At least that way I started the project knowing the painter was a flake instead of finding it out later.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts