Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i thought VRODs were fast? E55 is a fast car and it was a rolling race from 60+ but he hanged right by me. I have completely stock 2008 NRS i am really disappointed.

I do have a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R and with the disappointing acceleration i saw today i think that my Ninja can run circles around my VROD :chainsaw:

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
i thought VRODs were fast? E55 is a fast car and it was a rolling race from 60+ but he hanged right by me. I have completely stock 2008 NRS i am really disappointed.

I do have a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R and with the disappointing acceleration i saw today i think that my Ninja can run circles around my VROD :chainsaw:
What gear did you have it in?

·
Registered
454 Posts
performance

My guess is the ninja has the same if not more horsepower and probably 150 to 200 pounds less. Several years ago the 600 class had more than 100 horsepower and weighed slightly less than 400 pounds. I am surprised you are surprised about a vtwin not competing with a crotch rocket.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My guess is the ninja has the same if not more horsepower and probably 150 to 200 pounds less. Several years ago the 600 class had more than 100 horsepower and weighed slightly less than 400 pounds. I am surprised you are surprised about a vtwin not competing with a crotch rocket.
you didn't read the thread did ya :)

·
H VROD 5
498 Posts
You didn't do something right, however if they guy has tuned/modded that E55 he might be a 11 sec or better car. How bad did he beat you. Next time take him from a dead stop, I bet you beat him then ;-)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well the e55 is my buddies and it is stock. I am not sure about dead stop that e55 has some of the fastest shifting i have seen. The only way i can beat him is probably in my Ninja or my 550RWHP corvette

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PTW for 08 NRS = 120HP and 627 weight = 0.19138755980861

PTW for 03 E55 = 565 HP and 4200 weight = 0.13452380952381

so NRS is slightly better ??????

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you are right i dunno why i kept thinking the e55 has 560 HP i must have been thinking about the new CTS-V coupe. So how did i loose :bang head: we ran three times once i was in 6th gear and i gunned it at 5k rpm so i lost that one by couple of cars lengths. The next one i was ready and had the rpms at 7k but i hit the rev limiter :bang head: than in the final run i shifted just before the red line around 9k rpm we were head to head and than i shifted and that shift took some time and he was gone.

·
Kickstart My Heart!!
1,506 Posts
you are right i dunno why i kept thinking the e55 has 560 HP i must have been thinking about the new CTS-V coupe. So how did i loose :bang head: we ran three times once i was in 6th gear and i gunned it at 5k rpm so i lost that one by couple of cars lengths. The next one i was ready and had the rpms at 7k but i hit the rev limiter :bang head: than in the final run i shifted just before the red line around 9k rpm we were head to head and than i shifted and that shift took some time and he was gone.
There is no sixth gear :stilpoke:

Honestly you are comparing apples to oranges in all areas here. The VROD is a cruiser and a powerful one at that compared to all the rest. I bought it because it is a great in between bike. Has plenty of power to put a grin on my face but is also a comfortable cruiser for me.

If I was looking to race and beat sport bikes and or certain cars I would have a sport bike. Now if you want that cruiser with a lot more kick in the pants put on a turbo, then you won't have any issues like this.

·
H VROD 5
498 Posts
No offense but based on all the mistakes you made it doesn't sound like its the bike ;-) is your bike stock? If so gets some pipes, better breathing on top and a tune then do some practice runs, try not using the clutch to shift too that will quicken your shifts too. You have a Ninja, so I am guessing you know how to shift, but that is a far cry from the V, to take a little stiffer grunt to shift that gearbox. I miss a gear from time to time myself, but I have not been on a bike in 13+ years, but since I bought my VRSCB I ride most every day now. If not then like pecee said, go buy a race bike ;-)
Most important, have fun be safe and STOP RACING ON THE STREET!
:spank:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No offense but based on all the mistakes you made it doesn't sound like its the bike ;-) is your bike stock? If so gets some pipes, better breathing on top and a tune then do some practice runs, try not using the clutch to shift too that will quicken your shifts too. You have a Ninja, so I am guessing you know how to shift, but that is a far cry from the V, to take a little stiffer grunt to shift that gearbox. I miss a gear from time to time myself, but I have not been on a bike in 13+ years, but since I bought my VRSCB I ride most every day now. If not then like pecee said, go buy a race bike ;-)
Most important, have fun be safe and STOP RACING ON THE STREET!
:spank:
why did you assume we raced on the street? we could have been on an abandoned air field :)

No of fence taken i am here to learn :) today was my third day riding the vrod or a cruiser of any kind :) so I know it was probably 80% my fault but I want to learn on how to shift this puppy properly and any other tricks you guys can teach me

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
why did you assume we raced on the street? we could have been on an abandoned air field :)

No of fence taken i am here to learn :) today was my third day riding the vrod or a cruiser of any kind :) so I know it was probably 80% my fault but I want to learn on how to shift this puppy properly and any other tricks you guys can teach me
3rd day riding a cruiser and already racing you're asking for trouble IMHO. Be careful because the handling is nothing like the Ninja's and any sudden cornering or turns at high speed will Get you to the ground. Just be careful...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Have read entire post

Mr kool asked if i had read the entire post and I have and did, I just do not care about car and bike comparisons. I ride two wheelers for two reasons. The first is just the pleasure of riding, the second is the rush that comes from the power and acceleration. I can get the first from any two wheeler and the second only from a crotch rocket, I have never been on any harley that gave me the second, that includes the vrod. As far as shifting, I assume you know to blip the throttle while shifting without using the clutch to achieve the fastest shift possible, or you could also buy an air shifter or one of the electric shifters. They will shift in about 60 or 70 milliseconds. By the way, the only true comparison can be done only at a track where a light triggers launches, any where else, it is who has the jump. In order to overcome that one has to be significantly faster. I believe I will get on the busa instead of the vrod today. Best to all.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts