Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hot does the exhaust pipes get? Am thinking about using some JB weld on the end of the exhaust and it says that it is good up to 500 degrees F

·
Registered
394 Posts
Less than 500. Worst case is it melts off, but I doubt it. I have JB Weld on the midpipe of my Mach 1 Mustang without any issue.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I may use it as an adhesive to attcah the muffler end caps. Long story. LOL

·
Registered
507 Posts
I may use it as an adhesive to attcah the muffler end caps. Long story. LOL
The Exhaust gets very hot. the exhaust paint (high heat flat black)is up to 1200degrees... If it was an engine part... prob no problem.. I've used it on brachial pipes on an engine before... but that part only gets to about 1/2 - 1/3 of the heat of the exhaust.

Try this stuff.. it's good up to 2400degrees.. or just look up a high heat cold weld on the internet. }:)

look for something that is good for 1000+ degrees and you'll prob be good.

http://epoxyputty.com/thermosteel.htm

OR... just stop by a muffler shop.. they can prob tack them on for you for cheap. }:)

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
Well, I know for a fact that they get hot enough to burn the shite out your cheek under your eye. Stupid me !! One day I heard a sound after pulling into the garage after a ride and I leaned down to listen and I touched my upper cheek to the top of the exhaust and BAM !! second degree burn spot. My wife works for a skin doctor so I went in there after she told him what kind of a STUPID thing I did and after he stopped laughin he said tell me to come in . So, I went in and he said, "well, you wont have to worry about any skin cancer in that area now will ya , I said to him," DUH ! doc, I was just savin myself from your rediculously high medical charges so take care of the rest of me and I will be fine."
I wore that burn for about 4 weeks before it went away to where you could not tell anymore. I felt pretty stupid about doing it.
So, the moral of this story is, Keep you stupid face and everything else away from those hot @ss pipes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts