Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
street rod Tommy
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Just got my street rod out of storage, and its been a while,,when I release the clutch handle it almost instantly grabs,,good or bad?? also there seems to be a squishy noise from the handle,,no leaks and everything looks good,,only 1200 miles on it,,any suggestions,,Thanks,

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Two tips. Number one, there is no need to bleed the line. Ride the bike twenty miles or so in town operating the clutch at traffic lights and it will bleed itself out.
Tip number two, store the bike with the handlebar turned to the right. Huh? Most of us park the bike with the front wheel turned to the left. This is how the fork lock works and the front wheel seems to flop that way on it's own when we put it on the side stand. But, look at how that orients the clucth master cylinder. Air bubble city! With the bars turned right, both master cylinders are pretty level, and you don't get the air bubble in the clutch line that causes the clutch to engage suddenly after what seems like 1mm of travel.
Just something I discovered on my own.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Two tips. Number one, there is no need to bleed the line. Ride the bike twenty miles or so in town operating the clutch at traffic lights and it will bleed itself out.
Tip number two, store the bike with the handlebar turned to the right. Huh? Most of us park the bike with the front wheel turned to the left. This is how the fork lock works and the front wheel seems to flop that way on it's own when we put it on the side stand. But, look at how that orients the clucth master cylinder. Air bubble city! With the bars turned right, both master cylinders are pretty level, and you don't get the air bubble in the clutch line that causes the clutch to engage suddenly after what seems like 1mm of travel.
now thats cleaver thinking

·
street rod Tommy
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys thanks for the info,,I thought after I saw the bike sitting there that the fluid looks like its gone when its turned that way,,,ill start turning it that way when I store it,,also thanks to all for the oil man hookup,,much cheaper ordering it from him,,,thanks again,,,

·
Premium Member
11,366 Posts
Hey guys thanks for the info,,I thought after I saw the bike sitting there that the fluid looks like its gone when its turned that way,,,ill start turning it that way when I store it,,also thanks to all for the oil man hookup,,much cheaper ordering it from him,,,thanks again,,,
If air is entering the lines when you turn the handlebars to the left then there is insufficient fluid in the master cylinder.
Tommy, I suspect you have that problem. Check the fluid level. It should be at least half way up the site glass when the master cylinder is level.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
If air is entering the lines when you turn the handlebars to the left then there is insufficient fluid in the master cylinder.
Tommy, I suspect you have that problem. Check the fluid level. It should be at least half way up the site glass when the master cylinder is level.
I dunno about that? I have an R I'm keeping stock and riding very little because I think in ten to fifteen years it will be like having a perfect original XLCR (my other R gets the crap ridden out of it), this rare, cool old sporty Harley, orphaned by the "faithful". It will sit for weeks between rides and even with a fully topped up master cylinder, it would behave as described in the original post until I figured out to keep the bars turned right. Harley master cylinders do not have much depth and if you over fill them the tend to leak and ruin the paint on the master cylinder. Easier to just turn the bar right if you plan to leave the bike parked for a while.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts