Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just learned today that the DX's headlight bucket literally folds forward on its own!

Okay, I undid the four hex bolts holding the bucket in place... but how do you get into the headlight housing to replace the bulb?

Looks like there's some kins of screw at the 6 o'clock position holding the circumferential chrome ring in place... is that what you undo next?

After that?

While the head light is apart, I'd like to take some isopropyl alcohol and clean the inside of the clear lense backing... seems there's some kind of film on it that looks a little hazy. Is it okay to clean the inside of the glass/plastic? I wouldnt want to remove some kind of inherent "fog protective" coating... maybe just leave it alone, the haze isnt 'that' bad.

·
Registered
964 Posts
It obvious you have "mod fever" and thats a good thing, but do yourself a favor and go buy a parts manual and service manual. Best thing I ever did was get those and have a handy reference for when I started tearing into the bike.

·
Registered
327 Posts
The service manual for my 06 has the wrong directions!!!!

I did manage to figure out that you have to remove the bolt (at 6 o clock) from the chrom ring. From there, you will take the wire connector off then pull the housing apart. You will see a screw which will have to be loosened in order to reomve the bulb retainer (it's a piece of wire holding the bulb down). Just remeber to avoid toucing your new bulb. I did not clean the inside but found the bulb replacement to make a hige difference.

Good luck!

·
Comfortably numb!
1,968 Posts
vesteroid said:
...do yourself a favor and go buy a parts manual and service manual.
:them:

Still, am glad you ask so many questions here. Many of them are helping me out!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Yes, never meant to say you shouldnt ask questions if that what anyone took it as. Just know from experience how helpful those manuals were so I thought they might help you too.

·
Registered
597 Posts
After you undo the screw holding the clamp ring tight slide the clamp ring off and then the headlight assembly will come out. Disconnect wiring harness, then there should be a rubber grommet in place, remove that and the metal retaining clip holding the bulb in place. Remove bulb and replace with desired bulb and reverse process to reinstall lens.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks special, I swapped the bulb out last night... no the bulb didnt need replacing, this bulb is brighter and has a blue tint to it... it looks more white light now than yellow.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hey Mark, what brand of bulb did you replace the stock with???

·
Registered
379 Posts
anybody have trouble removing the screw that holds the metal clamp ring in place?
when i try to loosen it, the nut turns with it. and because half of the nut is hidden under the ring i can't find a tool that will hold it while i unscrew.

any advice is appreciated.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
chenner said:
anybody have trouble removing the screw that holds the metal clamp ring in place?
when i try to loosen it, the nut turns with it. and because half of the nut is hidden under the ring i can't find a tool that will hold it while i unscrew.

any advice is appreciated.
You just need to get a smakll screw driver in there on one flat of the nut. That should do it.

RJ

·
Registered
379 Posts
rjrivero said:
You just need to get a smakll screw driver in there on one flat of the nut. That should do it.

RJ
really? that little pressure should stop it from turning?

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
chenner said:
really? that little pressure should stop it from turning?
It's a pretty small screw. That should do it.

·
Darth Veeness
2,014 Posts
Electro, it only takes one V-rod rider to change a light bulb provided he has the help of other forum members that have already done it before.

·
Registered
379 Posts
rjrivero said:
It's a pretty small screw. That should do it.
i just meant that i thought it might be on tighter and require more pressure to pin it down while turning the screw.

i'll have to give it another try.

thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
all these mods i been hearing about since day one... i want to see some pics man!!! cmon mark, take a break from putting on a 320mm rear tire, take some time, snap some photogs!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts