Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got small mishap yesterday and now my airbox had dent as big as an egg. paint is still intact, its is an 03, aluminum and it has double wall, meaning I don't see the dent inside. Now how do i fix that? dent magic?

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
Andy, you could try one of those dent buster places, but my guess is when that paint flexes back out it will crack.

·
Steppenwolf
159 Posts
Got the same problem. Dent Magic or Dent Doctor won't help. Friend of mine is a body maker and told me, that aluminium can't be pulled or "massaged" out. Only clean way is to cut the inner skin and to hammer it out.

Filling and leveling it out would be second best, but tin and aluminium will never give a smooth layer and there will always be edges were alu and tin meets....

Anyway it must be painted again.

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah that's what i thought too. i m just trying to salvage my airbox so the dent wont be that visible, dont care about smoothness. ill just put sticker on it :D ill try to dremmel the inner skin later then and see what i can do.

·
Steppenwolf
159 Posts
Like every little blemish defect that disturbs us: surely we are the only ones to see it....

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL yeah. but i cant just leave that egg-shaped dent as is... you can see it from miles away!

·
Steppenwolf
159 Posts
My NRS is a 2007 model in vivid black with matt black stripes. When I dropped it (kick stand outside and the first left vorner was mine), I took the chance to buy a 2009 black airbox cover with silver stripes via ebay. The old one ist aluminium and the new is very heavy steel and it fits. A few weeks later I got the rear fender via eBay in black/silver including the inner fender.

So I will get the alu cover repaired during winter and have time enough to think about an absolut different look for this set - maybe a light blue with white stripes? Or HD orange with black stripes?

So, afterall, every malheur / accident has an good side - otherwise the best of all wifes would never had allowed to buy a second cover and fender :D

·
EXCELSIOR
8,388 Posts
got small mishap yesterday and now my airbox had dent as big as an egg. paint is still intact, its is an 03, aluminum and it has double wall, meaning I don't see the dent inside. Now how do i fix that? dent magic?
Luckily yours is painted, you can bondo and repaint. If it was anodized you'd be screwed. The anodize gets stress crazing which shows under different lighting.
With some advise from Max and the "Old Guard" and alot of effort I separated one that I have and nocked the dent out. Not good enough to use as an Ano skin but good enough to paint.
The separate the inner skin takes heat and finesse.

·
VRSCDX Comuter
392 Posts

·
Steppenwolf
159 Posts
Never tried it myself but I've heard that you can pull dents out with a glue gun. Not sure if it works on alu though...

Read a article in a custom mag where they used a glue gun to "pull" dents out on steel body parts. They used this technique on dents without paint damage.

Actually found some info on it...
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/repaircardent

http://www.ehow.com/how_2098332_repair-dent-motorcycle-tank.html
Saw a test on tv about that method - didn't managed to get a dent from a hail damage out of a car. Then a professional tried it. Dent was nearly but not full out. With much luck no damages on the painting that far. The paint is damaged, when you try to remove the glue. Bottom line of the test: absolut useless.

Anyway aluminium has to be hammered so this glue method won't help.

·
Premium Member
11,287 Posts
If the paint is not broken it can be fixed. Go to a car dealer and have them give you the name of their guy that removes dents in their used cars.

I found a guy, recommended by a paint shop, to fix a dozen small dents in my wife's BMW and it works. They use flat bladed "irons" to smooth the dent froom the back side. He will have to drill a hole in the inner fender to get at the dented area.

I had a 2003 air box with a crease in it from when I banged my turn signal into the air box. After watching the guy remove the dents from my wife's BMW, I tried the same on the v-rod skin. Can't tell it ever was dented.

It takes time and patience but can be done.

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a 2003 air box with a crease in it from when I banged my turn signal into the air box. After watching the guy remove the dents from my wife's BMW, I tried the same on the v-rod skin. Can't tell it ever was dented.
John, how do you drill the inner fender? using holesaw? dremel? any picture of it? thanks!

·
Registered
133 Posts
A long time ago I let a dented panel sit in the sun and applied dry ice to it and it popped right back in shape. Will this work? I have no idea but since it appears you are going to have to do some body work it might be worth a shot. I let in sit in the sun until it was pretty hot and make sure you hold the dry ice in some really heavy work gloves as that stuff burns.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Theres several videos on youtube of the dry ice method, buddie of mine did that to his fender and it worked..

·
Premium Member
11,287 Posts
John, how do you drill the inner fender? using holesaw? dremel? any picture of it? thanks!
I no longer have the Air box I fixed so I can't take pictures. I sold it to someone on the forum but there is a hole at the small end of the boxes inner wall which I elongated and used a length of stiff wire I cut off my Fish Line, smoothing out the rough edges, and fished in between the walls of the air box and just rubbed back and forth until it smoothed the dent out. Took a couple of hours.
Depending on where your dent is will depend on where you make the cut. Just take your time. I used a Dremel cutting wheel

A long time ago I let a dented panel sit in the sun and applied dry ice to it and it popped right back in shape. Will this work? I have no idea but since it appears you are going to have to do some body work it might be worth a shot. I let in sit in the sun until it was pretty hot and make sure you hold the dry ice in some really heavy work gloves as that stuff burns.
Theres several videos on youtube of the dry ice method, buddie of mine did that to his fender and it worked..
I tried the dry ice method on my wifes BMW and it did not work. Works for some folks apparently.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts