Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike runs fine at lower RPMs but at WOT it runs, but doesn't have the go that it should. I have a K&N air filter and it's topless..thats it. Bought the bike this way. - Then added a fuel pak

When I added a fuel pak it made the bike run better, much better at lower RPMs. But it didn't do anything for WOT.

Do these fuel pumps go bad?

·
The Hawk
3,772 Posts
The fuel pumps occasionally go bad, and the plumbing in the tank that connects the fuel pump to the system goes bad a little more frequently. You can check the fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge, get one that fits a chevy system. The fuel pressure gauge test port is on the right side, between the cylinders, near the bottom of the throttle body. Kind of looks like a tire valve stem with a cap on it. You screw on the test gauge, turn on the ignition and see if the system comes up to pressure when you hear the fuel pump run. Then start the bike and see if it maintains pressure. Should run somewhere around 58 to 60 psi.

Mike

·
Born to be mild
202 Posts
I found that testing the fuel pressure as described by Elgavilan was easier than I thought it would be.

Twice i have had a 'pin-hole' leak in the plastic cross over tube that runs between the fuel pump and the fuel filter. This created the same symptoms as the infamous fuel flange problem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's an 06 Night Rod.

Checking fuel pressure was EASY :). Nice change. It was 65 pounds nad stayes there. When I turn it off it bleeds off to about 10 over a minute. Should I test it at WOT to see if it cuts back?

·
Premium Member
11,243 Posts
Autozone or Advance auto parts will loan you a fuel pressure test gauge. Just screw it on to the port on the right side of the bike like Elgavilan described. Should consistently have about 60 lbs pressure. You "Buy" the gauge from them and they refund your money when you bring it back.

·
The Hawk
3,772 Posts
Don't know if that fast bleed down rate is a problelm or not. Mine stays up to pressure for hours......oh wait did I just say that? Anyway, you might have a sticking injector giving you problems, try running some injector cleaner through it and see if it improves.

Mike

·
Registered
359 Posts
did a fuel pressure test mine was down to less than 50 psi at idle no-wonder i was progressively losing power...
spoke with trask new put on itsway

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Before you replace the pump, take a look inside the fuel filter housing. Remove the whole assembly ( I think it is called the "Fuel Module" in the parts manual) from the fuel tank. Pay careful attention to what comes out of the fuel filter housing. There should be two O-rings in there. The larger of the two is shown in the parts breakout but there is a small one that is not shown or mentioned anywhere. This small o-ring seals the pressure hose to the bottom of the fuel filter housing. I will bet it is missing or broken. This happens and when it fails you get about the pressure you describe.

Another place to look is for a pinhole leak in the clear pressure hose from the pump to the bottom of the filter housing.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Im probly just going to replace the pump with one from trask but when I pull it out will let you know as I think its on its way out it burt out a fuse the other day and I believe its a good indication its playing up
I think lol

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
My bike 2003 V rod just stopped at the gas station right after taking it for the yearly inspection and gassing up. We tested with a Mechanical Dr. friend of mine and the fuel pump is gone. Where can I get the best replacement pump for this bike. If I take it to a H_D dealer they will rip me of I know from experience. Any suggestions?

·
The Hawk
3,772 Posts
2003 V Rods were the ones with the fuel flange problems and that could be your issue. The easiest way to fix it is to replace the fuel module which includes the fuel pump, filter, and the mounting flange it comes with. A little expensive but it will fix it. The dealer may cut you a deal as there is an advisory out from many years ago about the fuel flange issue. Do a search on this forum for fuel flange and a bunch of threads will come up with info on how to diagnose it. Basically, open the fuel tank and with a half a tank or less of fuel, start bike, look in the tank with a flashlight while the engine is running and look for a spray or mist in the tank. If you see that then it is a cracked fuel flange.

Mike

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
You might take the air box cover & air filter off too look inside the injectors wot while the engine is off. Check to see if both butterflies are in the wot position. One of the butterflies may not be timed correctly leaving the butterfly not full open.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts