Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
I have heard that the tailight lense is hard to remove without damaging it. Can someone advise
First, this "How-To" section is for posting instructions, not asking how to do something, but I'll let the forum moderators worry about that.

Second, if you plan on doing your own service and repair work, you should invest in the manuals. For a 2002 model I'd suggest at least the Service Manual (99501-02A) and the Parts Catalog (99457-02A). The Electrical Diagnostic Manual (99499-02) is not as useful but has details on the DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes) and critical electrical circuits that some can understand and find important.

Third, as a quick answer to your problem, you should remove the aluminum outer fender to see how the "tab" on tail light lens operates. Practice removing the lens a few times with the outer fender off and you should be able to do it while in place without breaking the tab.

I noticed someone moved this from the "How-To" area. I also see a few redundant suggestions.

·
Registered
202 Posts
theres a hole above the plate insert a flat blade screw driver and push on the tab. i had to push hard enough i thought it would break, but the lens started to wiggle and poped off.

·
Registered
534 Posts
If you just want to change the bulb, do what Janoble08 said. This will allow you to remove the complete taillight assembly. If the lens itself is cracked or broken you have to buy a complete new one. There is no way to just change the red lens, it is all one piece. If your changing the whole unit get a Stage one or Stage two tailight. Much brighter and is king of kool. grcustoms.com has them or heavycycles.com when he feels like it.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I have NOT tried this with the VRSC tail lights, but it has worked in the past with headlights (not the 'AW headlight though) and sealed tail lights.
Heat them in the oven on 250 for 30 minutes. This will soften the adhesive and allow the red lens to be removed.

·
Ducking for cover!
8,455 Posts
The easiest way, without breaking anything, is to remove the rear fender.
What he said. It's very simple to remove the rear fender and safer than risking breaking the tab on the lens.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
Look at the video...link in my Sig.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to everyone for the great help. I'm new to the site and the V Rod I will try and get my posts in the correct area.

Sprinter77

1 - 9 of 9 Posts