Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '06 Night Rod, 2.5 lb Boss Noss stealth system, SuperTrapp Kerker K mufflers. Dyno'd at 146 hp with the button on. Just moved to an area with a lot of drag strips and want to take her for a run. I can fly through the gears with or without the juice but only from a rolling start. Tips from the pro's on how to preform a textbook "LAUNCH"?

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
I'm no professional racer but practice is the only thing you can do to learn how to "launch" your bike for the best et... There are several racers on this forum that will be able to give you some tips...

Here's what I know from personal experience... Make sure the motor is at temperature, then do a proper burn out to heat up the tire and get it sticky... Learn to feather the clutch at take off... If you just dump the clutch you will either smoke the tires or wheelie... Both will cost you time...

Proper air pressure in your tire for the current track conditions... Learn the sweet spot on your bike and motor for a shifting point... Use a good shift light and set it for your optimum rpm for shifting gears...

Again, practice and more practice is really the only thing that will perfect your launch... There are so many varibles to consider when your drag racing... Outside temperatures, track temperatures etc., it just takes time in the saddle to gain the experience...

Again, I'm not a pro... I just do the illegal out in the middle of no where drag race :)... If your serious about racing, a Pingle or similar electric or air shift kit is a must for drag racing and a variable lock up clutch... Goodluck and be safe...

·
brett
9,338 Posts
sorry i cant do linky thing, but go down this list of threads and click on one by dr dave on failure to launch ,lots of good tips there,

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
tbones pretty well summed it up, i launch at 7000 and shift a 8200. the burnout isn't necessary but always fun. i won a points championship and didn't do a burnout one time all season. between 22 and 26 psi in the rear worked well, make sure the front is inflated to proper psi.

don't line up in the middle of the track get in either the inside or outside tire tracks the cars make.

learn to feather the clutch, clutch management is very important for a consistent et.

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
tbones pretty well summed it up, i launch at 7000 and shift a 8200. the burnout isn't necessary but always fun. i won a points championship and didn't do a burnout one time all season. between 22 and 26 psi in the rear worked well, make sure the front is inflated to proper psi.

don't line up in the middle of the track get in either the inside or outside tire tracks the cars make.

learn to feather the clutch, clutch management is very important for a consistent et.
That's interesting that you never did a burn out... Shows just how much I know :)...

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
sorry i cant do linky thing, but go down this list of threads and click on one by dr dave on failure to launch ,lots of good tips there,
Here 'tis.

BTW, to post a link:
Copy the link by highlighting the address of the link that you wish to post with a right click, then left click on "Copy".
Return to the message window and left click on the globe above the text box.
Enter the URL by right clicking in the text window, then left click on "Paste".
The URL will then be added to the text and a portion of it will be highlighted for you to enter the title that will be shown in your message. Just start typing what you want the title to contain.

·
brett
9,338 Posts
thanks dave, first question is where is the address to copy and paste in a thread ,i cant see it anywhere.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
thanks dave, first question is where is the address to copy and paste in a thread ,i cant see it anywhere.
I was referring to the address of the website that you wish to post. It is in the address bar of your browser at the top of the page, e.g.:
w w w.1130cc.com/forums/newreply...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Doc and the everyone else great tips (just filled up my yellow pad with things to work on), waiting for my garage (i have an apt) and i'm going to get started!

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Thanks Doc and the everyone else great tips (just filled up my yellow pad with things to work on), waiting for my garage (i have an apt) and i'm going to get started!
If you're really serious about racing and you want to be a pro, I'd suggest that you consider attending one of the many training camps out there to help you develop the skills you will need to be successful at the track... If your doing it as a "hobby" type of deal, then it's just practice and time in the saddle but attending a good training camp will only benefit you :)... Goodluck, be smart, be safe...

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Guess I'll chime in here.... Find the sweet spot between 7200-8200 RPM, to much and you will have wheel spin to little and you will bog.... Get a shift light and either an electric or air shifter.... Play with the RPM and air pressure, get yourself a log book and keep track of your progress... Write everything down, temp, humidity, barometric pressure, tire pressure, launch RPM shift RPM and your times.. You will start to see whats working and whats not....

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
I'm also new to the drag racing game, completely stock 1250cc CVO (just like Dr.Dave's) and planning to install NOS in the future, but most people here are forgetting a small detail: NOS. From my couple times at the track (still learning and practicing) and the great advice the guys here has given me, I can advise a couple things:

1) For the Lord's sake please DO NOT start racing/practicing with the Nitrous and under NO circumstance launch with that button pressed!!! :spank:

This is an example of what can happen: :banghead:
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125426

2) Even though 2006niterod had no need to burnout, you should practice your burn out before going to the track in case you haven't done it before (also to avoid embarrassing yourself at the starting line trying to do it, LOL!). In my case, with my completely stock and HEAVY as hell CVO, I tried my first pass without burn out and launching discreetly at around 4-5K RPM, and the bike danced under my legs in the first 60 ft! :dance:

3) Try launching at 3K RPM first and start building from there, it's always better to start "tasting" the traction at the track little by little, since sometimes it's more slippery than the street even with the tire bite, etc, or in the other hand an unexpected wheelie at 7K RPM can produce some sudden bowel movement...:hidesbeh:

4) Be certain to practice with your bike in "stock" form, and when you feel ready to hit the NOS, I guess the best way is to try it on 3rd gear for the first time. Also, try to start with the smaller NOS shot first while you see how your bike reacts to the "button". More experienced racers here might chime in and inform you better than me though... The most important thing when starting and learning is to have the bike under control throughout the 1/4 mile, in the moment the front wheel goes up unexpectedly or the rear wheel gets slippery, it starts to get dangerous and the margin between fun and not SO fun is just a small line, IMHO....:blahblah:

Please be safe and enjoy, you and I will probably be sharing experiences as newbies on the track (in my case a NOS newbie also) so I'll be around here learning too. :stooge:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts