Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be getting my new handlebars soon and thought I ask for some instructions on removing the controls/ grips. Can I just loosen the clamps and slide off the controls from the bar or do they need to be taken apart? Any help would be appreciated! Fred the fryguy :helpme: :D :cheers:

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
Step 1. I would recommend downloading the service manual for reference on this one Fred. There are some nuances to both sides, especially reattaching the throttle cables. The illustrations might also be helpful. If downloading isn't practical, nicely ask MAX, maybe he will send a copy on CD.

Step 2. Additionally, make sure you drape a sheet over the bike. One under the bike would be helpful as well. There are small brass fittings on the throttle side that you will invariably drop, and the sheets will definitely save you some "AW $HIT" episodes.

Tell me you got new grips. The left stock...... it's not worth wrestling with.

·
backcracker
735 Posts
Fred, I am doing the same thing this week as well. The throttle cable teardown is much easier with some WD-40. There are 2 "spring washers" inside the housing that you need to either pop out or since I was geting new controls, I just wiggled them until they slid out with the WD-40. If the bars are HD then they will fit pretty easily, if they are aftermarket, you may have to drill out the triple tree to acommodate the 1/2 inch bolts. Our bolts are metric size on the handlebars. I'll let you know how mine goes. :cheers:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mike and Dan!

Going to the manual was a big help! Max just has made a great resourse for all of us Vrodders! Dan, let me know how your exchange goes and if you have any surprizes! My B vrod takes any 1" bars, they are not Tbars like the A so there is no need to drill out the triple tree. Thanks for the input, Fred the fryguy :ride: :mrgr: :kaz:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts