Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I’m looking at an 04 tomorrow and I know there were some shifting issues which required engine disassembly to repair. How common was that problem? Do you think I’d be better off waiting for an 05 or later model?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought an 02 with just under 30k miles on it. The previous owner said harley had to rebuild his at his own expense about 10k miles ago because of this common transmission problem.

·
Premium Member
11,243 Posts
I have 180,000 mils on my 2007 and never had a shifter problem but I am a conservative rider and do not brutalize my machines.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
on some of the 02 and some 03 models the star detent on the end of the shifter drum came loose.the drum was modified with a dowel on later models.the next mod was on the return spring and ratchet,i think thats the word,where it allowed the replacement of the shifter shaft without the need to split cases.

·
The Hawk
3,772 Posts
I think 2004 was the year they came out with the stronger 4th gear shift fork and the improved shift drum. The 04's were the ones with the triple sprocket bolt that could back out due to improper tightening, but that's an easy fix if it hasn't blown the engine.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
on some of the 02 and some 03 models the star detent on the end of the shifter drum came loose.the drum was modified with a dowel on later models.the next mod was on the return spring and ratchet,i think thats the word,where it allowed the replacement of the shifter shaft without the need to split cases.
Any way to tell if you have one prone to this issue or just random 02/03's?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies, guys. Yeah, I’m going to stay away from the 02-04s. Why take a chance.

Wow...180,000 on a vrod from one of the posters. That’s what I want to hear...even though it was an 07. These bikes are amazing. Can’t wait to get one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts