Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound like a stupid question. I am planning on buying a 2008 NRS with ABS. I made the deal sight unseen pending me actually looking at the bike. Just to protect myself I was wondering if there is something on the bike that I can see that would tell me for sure it has ABS? Will the VIN decode whether it has abs or not? Is the ABS module easy to see on the bike? Thanks, I don't have an issue with the seller, however, I have been waiting for a bike like this with ABS and now I finally have the chance. Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Follow the brake line from the front master cylinder. If it goes to a module behind the fork stem it has ABS. If it simply goes to a splitter then into each caliper it does not have ABS.

·
Registered
818 Posts
This may sound like a stupid question. I am planning on buying a 2008 NRS with ABS. I made the deal sight unseen pending me actually looking at the bike. Just to protect myself I was wondering if there is something on the bike that I can see that would tell me for sure it has ABS? Will the VIN decode whether it has abs or not? Is the ABS module easy to see on the bike? Thanks, I don't have an issue with the seller, however, I have been waiting for a bike like this with ABS and now I finally have the chance. Thanks everyone.
It will have a wire running down the swing arm to the rear axle on the right side to a plastic sensor. Same for the front wheel. Then you can also find the ABS module like stated above.

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
shouldn't the wire go from the module follow the brake line to the front wheel bearing on ABS bikes?

·
boo
5,211 Posts
here are pics of the front end of my 07 and 08 DX. the 07 does NOT have ABS - it's the first pic. The 08 does, second and third pics. you should be able to blow these up fairly large, these are big files/hi res. also a pic of the 08 with the wire down the swingarm next to the brake line - hope this helps.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the forum saved my bacon! Thanks for all the info! I lined up two different NRS's I was interested in. 2008, low miles and "with" abs. I got the VIN numbers from both owners and went to a local HD dealer and they did not mind running the VINs. Well both showed that neither had ABS. I replied to the one asking WTF and he never replied back, imagine that. The other was a non HD dealer and I told the salesman to go to the bike and look for the ABS lines to the front and back and they weren't there! So thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!! I found another at an HD dealer out of town and I told the salesman what to look for an he confirmed that their NRS does have it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Absolutely not! I saw the 2007 NRS at a dealer when they first came out and fell in love with it. Then of course the big change in 2008. Now I have had 3 bikes since then and now it is time! I am not going to settle for one with ABS because I plan on keeping this one for at least 2 summers! Ha!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh I could ship but it would have to be a screaming deal. Then I have to pay tax at the border, do a federal inspection, and some shipping estimates I have had, had been almost $2k

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I like the orange mesh!!

here are pics of the front end of my 07 and 08 DX. the 07 does NOT have ABS - it's the first pic. The 08 does, second and third pics. you should be able to blow these up fairly large, these are big files/hi res. also a pic of the 08 with the wire down the swingarm next to the brake line - hope this helps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts