Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was lurking around the Victory Factory Website and found this info that they had there that was from JD Power. I looked over the info and saw some pretty low ratings for Harley Davidson. What gives? I think my Harley has some great quality. If this info is real accurate then why don't I see more Victorys on the road??

Check it out:

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/Victory/RecentNews/JDPowerReviews.htm

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'm thinking that it's pretty much crap. Any poll or survey can be made to slant in your favor. I'm with you. Where are all the Victory's?

·
THAWING In Montana
344 Posts
They may be great bikes, but if no one rides them, who cares.

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
It looks pretty acurate to me...HD is not very good quality and it is not cheap to own. The sales folks are great because they want you to buy....

But the serivce got a 5???? That part is total crap. Unless the folks asked were getting thir service done at a Honda dealer....

·
Extreme Rod
257 Posts
Horsespatoot said:
I'm thinking that is pretty much crap. Any poll or survey can be made to slant in your favor. I'm with you. Where are all the Victory's?
The key to the survey seems to be the use of “some of the data” by Victory. You are right; it can be made to support anything you want. Bottom line is: it’s crap. Although, more and more of these bikes are showing up at the local weekly bike gathering.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I would say that for the most part I hear good things about the victory line of bikes. The problem is as noted there just aren't many of them sold. Keep in mind that JDPower doesn't say how many responses they got from owners also. I can tell you from doing csi reports for 30 years that I have seen really bad techs get one or two surveys and score very high one month and then total zeros the next. It's all a numbers game. As far as the harley rating I think it's probably pretty close to right except the service. But then if you owned a 96 cu engine and went in for service they may love you and treat you like gold. I think this comes back to the mind set of the service departments and the v-rod.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
myvrodrocks said:
It looks pretty acurate to me...HD is not very good quality and it is not cheap to own. The sales folks are great because they want you to buy....

But the serivce got a 5???? That part is total crap. Unless the folks asked were getting thir service done at a Honda dealer....

My father has owned more Harleys then me, and I have owned many Hondas in the past I think Vrods are of great quality and are not that expensive to maintain. I think it comes down to finding the right dealer.

My father's 05 Dyna Low Rider has been very reliable and he has 26,000 miles on it. So I think the quality thing is BS!!:deal: :bs:

·
RICK
648 Posts
Jd Power Surveys Result In Few Of The Thousands Purchased. It Seems That If People Are Happy, They Think Of The Survey As Junk Mail. If They Have Had Problems, They Most Certainly Let People Know (fill The Survey Out And Mail It!) I Also Strongly Believe The Service Departments Cause Most Of The Problems. I Service Many Tc Bikes, And Have Had Very Minor Issues With Almost All Of The Bikes. I Have A Relatively Large Family(all Harley Riders) With Serveral Bikes 80-100k With No Major Problems. The Bikes Are Beautifull, Costly, And Classy. They Are A Far Cry From The Old Amf Harleys. I May Be Partial To Hd, But I Beat The Hell Out Of My 04 Roadglide. 95"-several Mods- Just Under 90hp And 100tq. No Problems, No Leaks, Smooth, Comfortable, And Wouldn't Trade It For The World. 20000 Hard Miles And Counting. I Think Jd Power Is Overrated.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I wrote a newspaper column about the survey results several months ago and interviewed a researcher from J.D. Power. The results pretty much speak for themselves - no matter the sample size. Victory owners gave their bikes a big thumbs-up, while Harley owners found a lot of things that didn't satisfy them. The survey covered all sorts of areas, as I recall, including the sales experience, dealing with the service department, cost of ownership, and the overall quality of the bikes. BMW, Triumph, Honda and Suzuki also scored extremely well but Victory received an "among the best" rating in three of the five categories and two "better than most." Kawasaki came in last. Tim Fox at J.D. Power told me that Harley's poor showing might be because Harley owners are more critical. J.D. Power sampled a total 0f 6,916 bike owners for the survey.

As a V-Rod owner, I love the quality and performance of my ride. Had the chance to ride a friend's 2003 Dyna Lowrider last night for the first time and was surprised by the vibration and feel - like driving a '56 Chevy compared to a new Lexus (the V-Rod). Having taken a demo ride on a new Victory Vegas last year before buying a used V-Rod, I have to say that given the choice between a new Vegas and a new air-cooled Harley, the Vegas would win hands down. That's not going to happen, though, as I'm a happy V-Rod owner.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Just my 2cents, based on owning a V-Rod for three weeks and 1000 miles, so feel free to tell me I'm talking rubbish, but:

1) I think a lot of people buy an airhead Harley because they want a "traditional" bike, and they don't twig that "traditional" = "old fashioned" and there are going to be some issues.

2) I love this V-Rod, I've had loads of bikes over the years, and this is just so much fun to ride I'm blown away. BUT, if you ask me about QC, I'm unimpressed. And if you read some of the threads in here, it is a litany of stupid problems none of which should exist on a bike that has been in production for five years, and many of which seem to be down to slapdash assembly.

I've no idea about Victory, if they sell them in Europe, I've not seen one.

I'm sorry to see Triumph scoring so badly, I've covered half a million miles on Triumphs since 1991, and apart from fork seal failures on the very early ones, I've never had anything come loose, break or go wrong in any way at all, ever.

Perhaps one answer is that in the last 30 years production engineering has improved so much that it is almost impossible to buy a bad, unreliable bike, so the results don't really matter anyway.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
We have so many signs up advertising victorys around town! I have seen maybe 3-4 my friend has one! they are nice they just didnt do it for me when I was looking at bikes

·
Registered
108 Posts
Triumph didn't score badly, Louis, rather it was among the best, along with BMW, Honda and Suzuki. As the owner of two Triumphs before the V-Rod, I can attest to the quality as well.

Love Portugal, by the way. Vacationed on the Algarve some 10-15 years ago. Had a blast. Great golf courses and bars - although the drivers were absolutely nuts. We had some funky rental car with the shift in the dashboard. A Renault maybe?

·
Registered
922 Posts
RNTRACING said:
Jd Power Surveys Result In Few Of The Thousands Purchased. It Seems That If People Are Happy, They Think Of The Survey As Junk Mail. If They Have Had Problems, They Most Certainly Let People Know (fill The Survey Out And Mail It!) I Also Strongly Believe The Service Departments Cause Most Of The Problems. I Service Many Tc Bikes, And Have Had Very Minor Issues With Almost All Of The Bikes. I Have A Relatively Large Family(all Harley Riders) With Serveral Bikes 80-100k With No Major Problems. The Bikes Are Beautifull, Costly, And Classy. They Are A Far Cry From The Old Amf Harleys. I May Be Partial To Hd, But I Beat The Hell Out Of My 04 Roadglide. 95"-several Mods- Just Under 90hp And 100tq. No Problems, No Leaks, Smooth, Comfortable, And Wouldn't Trade It For The World. 20000 Hard Miles And Counting. I Think Jd Power Is Overrated.

:them: I've never had a problem with the Sales or Parts people at either of the three Harley dealers in my area. However the problem is not the techs, its the Service Manager. Poor attitudes, and lack of knowledge about the V-Rod, as well as the usual out and out lies from the Service Manager at all three dealers has left me with no confidence that I'm going to get good service. Of the three dealers I use the one thats the lesser of the three evils and then only when I can't do something myself.

·
Registered
298 Posts
My wife's cousin has a Victory Hammer w/ about 3000mi on it and the tail light wobbles due to a broken bracket, and it supposedly cost about $225 to get a new one. Seems quality and cost of ownership may be worse.

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
It's not that Surveys are useless - its just that you need to be careful in how you interpret them.

According to JD Power automobile surveys, for instance, Hyundai cars rate higher in quality than do S-Class Mercedes.

Does that mean that owners of S-Class Mercedes should trade their cars in on Hyundais? Obviously not.

Does it even mean that Hyundais are better quality than Mercedes? No, it does not. People who buy $100,000+ Mercedes may have higher standards of quality than do people who buy $20,000 Hyundais. A $100,000 Mercedes is also going to have a lot more complex systems to go wrong (ever seen their delightfully overengineered system for parking the windshield wipers?) - which obviously cost a lot more to service as well.

Quality surveys are useful in tracking trends - how you do this year, vs. how you did last year. But comparing one brand of bike to another - not so significant.

·
Member #415
1,712 Posts
vroddrew said:
It's not that Surveys are useless - its just that you need to be careful in how you interpret them.

According to JD Power automobile surveys, for instance, Hyundai cars rate higher in quality than do S-Class Mercedes.

Does that mean that owners of S-Class Mercedes should trade their cars in on Hyundais? Obviously not.

Does it even mean that Hyundais are better quality than Mercedes? No, it does not. People who buy $100,000+ Mercedes may have higher standards of quality than do people who buy $20,000 Hyundais. A $100,000 Mercedes is also going to have a lot more complex systems to go wrong (ever seen their delightfully overengineered system for parking the windshield wipers?) - which obviously cost a lot more to service as well.

Quality surveys are useful in tracking trends - how you do this year, vs. how you did last year. But comparing one brand of bike to another - not so significant.

:plause: :thumb:

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Agree, up to a point. However, the expectations go the OTHER way. Nobody likes to look stupid, so when they buy something whose main selling point is reliability they tend to like to think its actually IS reliable, unless it simply falls apart, which the S class did.

Mercedes have apparently fixed things now, but one point they invested in Mitsubishi (bad idea), started up Smart (bad idea), bought, sorry "merged", with Chrysler (bad idea) and radically cut production costs and quality (VERY, VERY bad idea).

So for a while, Hyundai WERE higher quality than an S class.

I find the J D Power car surveys quite useful. Not gospel, but useful.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Yeah, the drivers are bonkers. Hence the switch to a slower pace with a V-Rod :)

Just realized the survey will be largely early Rocket 3s. I understand these had some teething problems, hence the less than stellar reliability score.

·
1 Person Biker Gang
287 Posts
Yes there is a problem

There has been a lot of trouble with the '07 Touring bikes.

Whine in fifth gear
Clatter from the six speed transmission
Heat from the exhaust and motor
Spark knock

I had a '07 FLHT and it was terrible. I kept it for nine months and rode it 3000 miles. I couldn't take it any longer and got that one out of here.

Love the DX though. I think the VRods are engineered a lot better. The EPA has just about killed the air cooled.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts