Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Conditions:
  1. Ride long enough for the bike to get hot (5-10 min.)
  2. Come to a stop/yield
  3. Make a right hand turn
  4. -Pop goes the Ignition (IGN) fuse
VRSCDX (75,000 miles) w/ service and electrical manuals

Variables: (that might matter)
  1. ABS and security (forgot to add to original post. Damn squirrels!)
  2. I have replaced the right hand turn signal switch (a while ago)
  3. PCV
What I have done:
  1. I have found the cable assembly running down the front right frame rail, melted a little bit. The blue pair of conductors had copper showing. I split the the two, rapped in electrical tape and shoved behind the radiator hose. -Fuse still pops.
  2. I poked and prodded the cables around the triple tree once I pulled into the garage when I got home. And, moved the handle bars around, as to simulate a stop-then right turn. No fuse pop.
  3. I have found some corrosion and dirty connections. I'll clean these connections. I'm not worried about that, because those connections would be opens and not shorts.
  4. I am currently sitting in the garage covered in electrical goo after pulling all of the arterial cabling out of the chest of the Night Rod in a fit of rage (J/K) But, I have pulled the electrical and not seen pinching, fraying or carbon.
Please advise

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
did you replace the right hand turn signal switch because of the IGN fuse blowing or because it didn't work?

If you didn't have electrical problems before you changed the TS switch,I would look for pinched wires in the controls..maybe you have a short in there

·
The Hawk
3,763 Posts
Probably has a pinched wire under the right side handlebar switch that makes contact when you turn and it pulls on the wire. Easy enough to undo the switch and make sure no wires are pinched. If not there, then it pretty much has to be where the wires go through the triple tree and they could be rubbing on the frame or the tree. Get the wiring diagram in the manual out and see what color the ignition wire is and take a look for it in those areas.

Mike

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The fix so far

Well, here's what has transpired so far:
I took out the PCV and the fuse blowing stopped. I put the PCV back inline and blew a ignition fuse within 20 minutes. I pulled the PCV and called DynoJet. They never had a problem before and for $25 they would look at it. I got a call from DynoJet saying that the PCV failed testing. I'm getting a new one today. Hopefully this is the fix.:hmm:

Keep it less than 32° :ride:,
Southwestduster

·
The Massive Pr1ck
2,630 Posts
Well, here's what has transpired so far:
I took out the PCV and the fuse blowing stopped. I put the PCV back inline and blew a ignition fuse within 20 minutes. I pulled the PCV and called DynoJet. They never had a problem before and for $25 they would look at it. I got a call from DynoJet saying that the PCV failed testing. I'm getting a new one today. Hopefully this is the fix.:hmm:

Keep it less than 32° :ride:,
Southwestduster
Never would have thought that. They refunding your $25?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts