Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My 2005 v rod had a wide and very hot exhaust. Is there any type of heat shields that would look good and do the job? I tried the 10" shields I found in the J&P catolog, but they are only fair and look terrible.
Is there any sourse or idea to cover the both at least to the passenger pegs? I would appreciate any thoughts or comments.
Thank You,
Roger [email protected]

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
All exhausts are hot..you are sitting on an engine.

·
Tracey
405 Posts
One of the first things I noticed on my first ride on a V-Rod was the placement of the pipe on the right and how hot it gets. I was riding a sport bike previously so this was new to me. I learned where NOT to put my legs pretty quickly after buying the V-Rod. I got used to it very quickly, and I really only notice it now in heavy stop and go traffic where you end up sitting though lights. I was actually thinking it will be nice for riding this winter, like sitting on a heater. :D

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tracy, thanks for the reply. Your winter idea is not bad, but I really am looking for a solution. I believe on some model Harley's there has been a recall because of the hot pipes and closeness to the gass tank. Not to mention all the leg burns. Mine will melt your riding pants or boot.
Roger

·
Registered
49 Posts
you can always change the pipes :D

i really like the look of the stock exhaust though, :stilpoke:

sorry i wasnt much help

·
That U in my mirror?
1,511 Posts
Wait until you put a bare knee against the rear header pipe. Did that a few weeks ago while moving the bike around in the garage. Yea, the pipe is hot, the scar on the inside of my knee is bright pink and a reminder not to touch hot parts.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bad, I also love the stock trumpet type exhaust. Its probably the reason I was originally attracted to the bike. At the Hollister rally, some one suggest a Power Commander. What do you think? Would it significally help? Is there any one out there that has some constructive thoughts?
Roger

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tray, my three scars are on my ankle and calf( I am am a slow learner).Please see my reply to Bad. I must say that even though all my other bikes were hot at the header, they were never so wide. You have to be bowl legged.
Roger

·
Registered
310 Posts
If I remember correctly V-Mod had a set of heat shields called the "Leg Saver" that attaches on top of the original shields providing a double layer of shield.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fly, I have a VRSC - B. Would be interested in purchasing. Do you have a photo? How much? Does it cover both upper and lower pipes? Is it effective?
Appreciate your help.
roger

·
Freedom
614 Posts
I have no idea what this part looks like other than the small pic on the v-mod site. Perhaps someone on the forum has installed this piece and has pics in their gallery.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Called V Mod. No such luck. All they had was a small shield like J&P which they discontinued. They are aware of the problem, including the recall of other models because of the heat problem, but have not seen anything for the V Rod.
Hopefully, some one out there in Cyber Space will read this and come up with a meaningful solution.
Roger

1 - 19 of 19 Posts