Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The braided (st st mesh) hose for my oil manometer was not propperly fixed and touched the starter solenoid.
When I started the bike there was a short cirquit which damaged the inner hose lining which resulted in a massive oil leakage. Kinda like an artery injury...

So the moral of the story is:
a) Make sure that the +12 supply to your starter motor has good clearance to ground because it's not fused and delivers high amps (100 A)
b) Never ride without hose clips and tools ;)

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Jan-Dirk said:
The braided (st st mesh) hose for my oil manometer was not propperly fixed and touched the starter solenoid.
When I started the bike there was a short cirquit which damaged the inner hose lining which resulted in a massive oil leakage. Kinda like an artery injury...

a) Make sure that the +12 supply to your starter motor has good clearance to ground because it's not fused and delivers high amps (100 A)
Thats one that I'm glad your able to post about. Could be very bad to say the least. Good tips and have you considered the electrical gauge instead of mechanical?

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And I was lucky because the hose touched the lower connection of the solenoid so the short circuit occured only when I started the bike. If it would have touched the upper part then I fully agree it could have had a nasty ending...

·
"A" is the only way
3,349 Posts
Jan-Dirk said:
Yes Max, an electrical gauge came to my mind indeed :D
:stilpoke:

Jan I have mine plumbed off of the pressure switch so it's no where near the starter, can get a picture if you like.

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a good location - somewhere near the last bearing. Mine was connected to the engine's oil inlet because that's easier to connect .
When I change to an electric type (with alarm relay set to 0,9 bar) I'll use the oil pressure switch bore too.
Please post a picture.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Jan-Dirk said:

that's why I switched to the new black, lightweight, fire proof ,fuel lines on my 3rd injector,and total fuel system:deal: !

Attachments

·
"A" is the only way
3,349 Posts
Oh I should note jan that I installed the fitting prior to putting the head on as there is no room to put it on after the head is on. So I got some good thread sealant to make sure it didn't leak

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
nic_a_bod said:
Oh I should note jan that I installed the fitting prior to putting the head on as there is no room to put it on after the head is on. So I got some good thread sealant to make sure it didn't leak
:them: ! I ran the oil feed to the Turbo and my Oil Pressure Gauge from there,and had FIT'S with it LEAKING:banghead: !Changed the fitting to just feed the Turbo the T'd off the Turbo for the OP Gauge.Lost 40lbs of Oil Pressure on the gauge reading,but everything else checked out fine:wazzup: .
It's now back at LVHD as it did the same thing again on Gil's Dyno:mad: !I Had John''The V-rod Tech" Fix the Blown fuses,and he said I had a Loose wire in my fuel tank going to the Pump:eek: !!!
That could have been UGLY,but he fixed it and took it to the Dyno with me right along side.
1st Pass under load and it cuts out AGAIN!
I noticed the Chargen System was not working and it was Killing the Battery in seconds"I just bought a Brand New HI-PO Battery and She is always on a Tender when sitting" so it might be in the Charging systems?
They kept her over night,and I'm waiting on the call:angelwin: .
I Don't know anything,but what doesn't Work so if you need any advice just ask:kaz:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts