Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading the new issue of American Cycle.On page 70 there is a article on a 2003 V Rod. The displacement is listed at the standard 1130 cc.The rated horsepower is 142 w/110 ft lbs of torque.The only listed parts are H-D race tuner,Ghost Rider A/C,and Rinehart Double shots.Is this gain really possible without changing the displacement or having some sort of supercharger?Or is there some kind of internal motor work that is not listed?

·
boredom kills
2,326 Posts
...........:hidesbeh:..................that has to be a happy dyno

·
Registered
153 Posts
i love this post. a parts combintion and dyno results. u take three upgrades and tune them. somehow they work great together and maybe just for top end horsepower. could be these items suck at 5000 rpm. They might lose 10 horsepower. BUT if u just run ur buddies on ur farorite long strech this could be awesome. PS i bet they also raised the rev limiter

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Back when the dealer first got their dyno,they played around w my 03 1130 and got 119.7 and 86ft lbs of torque @ 9000 rpms.The guy that was doing this just wanted to see what was available for maximum hp out of the stock engine.I tried to ride it like this,and all I could do was launch it,then hold it wide open for 1/4 mile racing.I never took it to the track like this.The tuner spent some time after this using RJ's original power commander mapp as a starting point.Max hp after this @ 9 grand was almost 109,but it was flawless from idle to 9 grand.

·
Darren
2,007 Posts
probably referring to hp at the crank, not the rear wheel

·
Life is great!
783 Posts
Elrod, so typically you can lose (on average) 10HP when you throw on open pipes/slip ons, topless and a tuner?? I am asking because I just swapped to Tab Baffleless slip ons, AMSOIL topless and a PCV. Without the PCV (but still topless with the Tab's) I am getting 115HP (+ some decel pop around 4K). With the PCV I am getting 105HP (+ some minor decel pop around 2-3K @ 20% Throttle). I am fine tuning my PCV map (with a Dyno) and have a nice steady curve and smooth just working on the decel issues...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Back when the dealer first got their dyno,they played around w my 03 1130 and got 119.7 and 86ft lbs of torque @ 9000 rpms.The guy that was doing this just wanted to see what was available for maximum hp out of the stock engine.I tried to ride it like this,and all I could do was launch it,then hold it wide open for 1/4 mile racing.I never took it to the track like this.The tuner spent some time after this using RJ's original power commander mapp as a starting point.Max hp after this @ 9 grand was almost 109,but it was flawless from idle to 9 grand.
some more good info. question. was this stock at the time, exaust and everything? take a stock motor and put all the exact parts on it and maybe 140+ is possible. 120 plus 4 for intake, 4 for exaust, 4 for 500 extra rpm, 4 for parts working better together, 4 for dyno fudging and ur at 140.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
some more good info. question. was this stock at the time, exaust and everything? take a stock motor and put all the exact parts on it and maybe 140+ is possible. 120 plus 4 for intake, 4 for exaust, 4 for 500 extra rpm, 4 for parts working better together, 4 for dyno fudging and ur at 140.
It had V-Modded mufflers,and a K&N air filter.This is probably one of the best systems for the stock engines.
I don't see a stock 1130 making 140 at the wheel,especially what they did w my 1130.
All they did was tune it for wot.the engine did not run worth a damn at any other throttle,and I doubt if I could have ridden safely on
the street.

There is a way to find more horse power by creating negative pressure in the crankcase,but I still don't see all the little things we do added up to make 140hp.Running negative pressure in some of my 400hp sb Chevys showed an increase of 15 hp,so I doubt this alone would be a great help on a 2 cylinder.

·
I see dead people
1,045 Posts
There is no freakin way that bike actually had 142 hp. If you check the Harley ads from that time they only rated them at 115 and that was at the crank. Only exceptions were the later SE and the Street Rod rated at 120 crank. I've been riding these bikes for several years and have been active on the forum since 2005. The usual rear wheel horsepower for an 1130 with a high flow filter. Vmodded pipes (I ran them too, I had 5 different pipe sets on the DX) and a well tuned bike was about 111 hp give or take a couple for happy dynos. Without a Turbo or Supercharger, that bike ain't runnin those numbers. PERIOD

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
i have seen some negative pressure articles but most used a pump. i would guess there is no way to get that much negative pressure any other way. but another 4 hp would get us closer to higher wot hp.
I use the thermactor pump from Japanese cars.They are more efficient than the style with the inlet behind the pulley.you also have to calculate the parasitic draw for running it.
The Jap pumps make nice little superchargers on Honda 50 engines.

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Magazine horsepower.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
It had V-Modded mufflers,and a K&N air filter.This is probably one of the best systems for the stock engines.
I don't see a stock 1130 making 140 at the wheel,especially what they did w my 1130.
All they did was tune it for wot.the engine did not run worth a damn at any other throttle,and I doubt if I could have ridden safely on
the street.

There is a way to find more horse power by creating negative pressure in the crankcase,but I still don't see all the little things we do added up to make 140hp.Running negative pressure in some of my 400hp sb Chevys showed an increase of 15 hp,so I doubt this alone would be a great help on a 2 cylinder.
..............and adding 500rpm to the rev limiter sure ain't gonna do it!!! :bash:

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
I was just reading the new issue of American Cycle.On page 70 there is a article on a 2003 V Rod. The displacement is listed at the standard 1130 cc.The rated horsepower is 142 w/110 ft lbs of torque.The only listed parts are H-D race tuner,Ghost Rider A/C,and Rinehart Double shots.Is this gain really possible without changing the displacement or having some sort of supercharger?Or is there some kind of internal motor work that is not listed?
In a word, no. :D

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
i will have to agree with louis , no it won`t happen..even at the crank those numbers are not reasonable..the best stock motor numbers i ever saw on our dyno with an 1130 motor that was stock internally was 116rwhp ..and that was a bike with a well tuned open exhaust and big tb`s and lots of tuning work on the dyno.. on our dyno very few 1130cc v-rods made it to 99rwhp .. the parts they list would be shy of 100hp on our dyno..

·
Registered
153 Posts
the street.

did u use an open top. how about colder plugs. and also raise the rev limiter.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.