Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading a lot of forum threads and magazines, I have come to the conclusion that in order to attain a higher wheel to ground horsepower read will have a higher dollar cost association with the V-Rod since it seems MoCo/Porche have really done its homework with this bikes motor.

What I am driving at here is that removing baffles, doing away with the air cleaner bonnet, replacing the filter with a SE or another high-performance type filter will net a HP gain of maybe 8 or 9 HP if your dyno read is app. 94 to 95 HP stock.

This mod is relatively inexpensive if a back yard mechanic can do it, but dealer cost puts it around 200.00 where I am at.

So, the window of expansion into higher HP, such as the larger bore kit (Tilley V-rod formula), case re-work from zippers, head work for slightly larger valves and new cams from reports I've read would put the V-rod at about 154 HP, cost for this work is a mind boggling 4 grand or so, for 60 HP. My figures and HP entry here is about, not exact but should be close to the mark. If I am off base, advise.

What I am trying to figure out, if you have a stock V-Rod, for the money you are about to spend or already have, what has proven to produce the best HP gain to dollar ratio?

To compare, since I have reworked a Sportster lately, I was able to get about a 40 HP improvement from the motor for about 1100.00, or 27.50 per HP gain. The V-rod gain on the Tilley kit with Zippers doing the work ends up at about 67.00 per HP
about 2.25 times the cost, and I think my cost for Zippers doing the work is on the low side.

I think that some of us look at it from the factor that I want it, I am going to do it regardless of the cost, and others may be concerned with a budget to attain HP gains.

So lets hear it from those who have done the work, and what the cost for each HP was for you to get what you've got. I also think that some may have done some tricks that they may not want to share, and if so, thats fine, but the dollar amount you've spent to HP ratio is still of interest.

Another factor is, with the rod still being realitively new, a lot of owners have experimented with products and dyno runs for testing.

This cost is an out of pocket expense that is aside from what worked best for what anyone is currently working with, so the final solution for the HP gain to dollar ratio should be only for those parts that worked best. The dyno runs are a built in need for any of the mods, and that requirement is an obvious part. If you feel that could be a reported part of what you might wish to share, I think it would be helpful for those considering trying to attain higher performance numbers from the motor to the rear wheel.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Rich,
I think your estimate of 4k for 154hp/rwhp?Is WAY OFF!You have over a Grand into taking out the Motor shipping it off then reinstalling it!Then you need a race set of pipes for that kind of power $500-$1000,Race Tuner& tunning $500-$750,Race Clutch and install $300+.That 4k is way more like 7k to do a CORRECT TURN KEY PACKAGE!Oh I forgot you belt will get Smoked at that hp level requiring a chain conversion $500+"custom chain ring to match wheels".It kills me when people read these bogus writes that tell ya "oh you can make 1000hp for $1500 BS"EXAMPLE"The V-rod is No wheres near you other bikes prices for upgrades but I doubt you will be able to match the kind of power per CI!:cool:

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
:stupid: I would estimate for about $7K you could get perhaps 145 rwhp. BB kit, cams, 58mm t/b's, exhaust and tuning time. While we may thing this is an efficient powerplant, it's really not. Companies such as Ducati, Honda and Suzuki have twin powered sport bikes with smaller displacement that make substantially more hp than the V-Rod. I plan on going the route above as my current 117.9 rwhp (total cost of hp mods $690, including dyno time) still leaves me wanting more.

John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts