Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading the recommenadations to go topless i have, but I also hate the horn on the side of the bike like a wart on a pretty girls face.

So have relocated it to under the tank cover still pently loud enough and no more wart on me bike.

Hope you like the mod, only had the bike 3 days and started playing with it already.

Steve

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
great idea!!! I relocated the alarm siren under there to make it louder.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Great Idea Big Steve...anything needed to move this??...like custom bracket, wire extensions, etc? Im looking to do this also...never realized how ugly that horn is...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To do this mod you need

2 foot of wire, 2 female and 2 male flat spade connectors, crimping tool to to fit them to the wire, bit of flat metal to make the bracket about 3/4" wide and 41/2" long.

Strip off old horn assembly and remove the horn unit then pull the original horn wiring up past the air filter so its above the frame rail, plug in extender wires and tape up, bend the metal to suit horn location, check the tank clears, taking off the air filter helps when drilling holes. bolt in the horn, cut the wire to length and crimp on the female ends and plug on to the horn all done, dead esay 30 minutes work.

Keep the old bits and you can convert back in 5 minutes, just fill the 2 bracket holes in the air filter lower case.

·
NSFW
1,984 Posts
Nice job! It looks good!

·
Gotta Blast!
3,389 Posts
Wow! After 5 years on this forumn, I thought I'd seen it all! I was wrong!

Outstanding MOD! Maybe something I will pursue this off-season.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
I'd like to find a way to mount a second horn on the bike so I could run a pair of Fiamm automobile horns. My BMW's have that type of horn, and it gets car drivers attention right now.
Can the horn be heard when it's buried in the air box like that?

·
Dances with Rain!
3,713 Posts
Honestly, that is one of the nicer mods and seems pretty easy to do.
Thanks for the How To on it as well.

Jim

·
** Place ad here **
1,460 Posts
Seeing your pics makes me wonder if the horn can be mounted low enough to put the top back on and just drill a hole in the air cleaner cover to allow the sound to get out?

Nice mod btw!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey

Thanks for the approval of the mod.

I think their is enough room to get the horn in the air box with the top on, try mounting it sideways and to one side then cut a hole in the lower air box to let out sound and more air in, win win.
I think it will work, i didnt want to cut the air box about, which is why it's mounted like it is.

You may well be able to get 2 horns in on each side of the air filter side ways on.

Yes still plenty loud enough, all the engine air comes in from the front, so all the noise can get out too, anyway it was covered over before and mounted futher back.

After jap and Triumph horns it is a VERY loud horn anyway.

·
jacket off!
9,720 Posts
Adding this to the "to do's"! Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts