Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know what I hate?
That bloody horn cover. It juts out and moves my left knee out into the air stream.
I can live with it, but has any one found a less intusive horn cover out there?
 

·
The Heavycycles Guy
Joined
·
6,785 Posts
put the horn under the bike... in front of the back tire, below the fuel cell.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,343 Posts
Yea, but then you have the mess of wires to look at. Someone needs to come up with something to cover the space that doesn't stick out!
 

·
VRRRRRROD!
Joined
·
3,173 Posts
Ken said:
You know what I hate?
That bloody horn cover. It juts out and moves my left knee out into the air stream.
I can live with it, but has any one found a less intusive horn cover out there?
I agree, makes my knee sore riding bumpy roads or you hang out in the wind. Has anyone moved theirs & done something different like Doc suggested?
 

·
Biker Pilot
Joined
·
1,104 Posts
someone posted a fix to that problem awhile back. You can move the horn about 3/4 inch closer to the bike by using a longer bolt and a different spacer. I just added a few washers and moved mine about 1/3 inch closer. so far no problems.
 

·
SNAFU
Joined
·
13,094 Posts
Has anyone adressed the issue of how ineffective the horn is? Not only would I like to move it, I want to make it actually sound like something other than a toy car :eek:

If they didn't look so bad I'd have air horns on the bike. I want cagers to MOVE OVER when I honk the horn, not ignore me like they do now!!!!!
 

·
Making the UK Fatter
Joined
·
2,606 Posts
mjw930 said:
Has anyone adressed the issue of how ineffective the horn is? Not only would I like to move it, I want to make it actually sound like something other than a toy car :eek:

If they didn't look so bad I'd have air horns on the bike. I want cagers to MOVE OVER when I honk the horn, not ignore me like they do now!!!!!
Chrome plated air horns !, someone must do them?
 

·
SNAFU
Joined
·
13,094 Posts
mr_vrodder said:
Chrome plated air horns !, someone must do them?
They do but I'm not going to hang 2 chrome airhorns in place of the existing horn cover.

 

·
Petrolhead
Joined
·
414 Posts
Mjw930, my horn sounds OK. Loud enough for sure . Perhaps it's a 'EURO' specification one. Not sure if they use a different part here but it's a possibility as there are many other subtle differences between USA bikes and my own one.
Probably worth enquiring about part numbers a for Brit spec horn.
 

·
Diesel Smoke Tester
Joined
·
862 Posts
A llittle closer, please!

I'm the one that posted the way I moved the horn in closer to the frame.
I put a 3/4" spacer (washers or solid) behind the horn, and used a longer bolt to hold it on. It made a big difference for my short legs! Then I mounted another horn under the bike; where the vapor recovery cannister went. Very loud, and effective. good luck.

redrazor :2cents:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
601 Posts
Hi Mjw930,

Got a quick question for you, where are you going to mount the compressor for those air horns? I was thinking about doing the same sort of thing and found a set of horns where the compressor mounts in the horn cover (cow bell) and they have a bracket that places the horns further to the front from where they are now.

Thanks,

Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Red Razor, thanks for the info.
I'm happy enough with the shape of the horn cover, so adjusting its mounting sounds the way to go.
I know what I'll be doing this weekend.
I'm not sure if there is a UK spec horn Creosote. I do think the horn was a bit quieter than those fitted to my other HDs. It's funny, I was reading a Pommy V Rod test ride, and the bloke said the horn was the best he had ever heard.
Every one has different ideas I s'pose.

Best wishes all.

Ken.
 

·
V-Rod Addict
Joined
·
466 Posts
Saw one at Cycle Smiths (909-987-3890). It's called the Finned Horn and comes in chrome with a 100db horn. Anyone know how loud the stock horn is?
 

·
Metal Guitarist
Joined
·
5,201 Posts
I think bikertrash was working on making a smaller horn cover in the shape of a Skull, i wonder if he has had any luck with it yet ?
 

·
SNAFU
Joined
·
13,094 Posts
VA V-Rod said:
Hi Mjw930,

Got a quick question for you, where are you going to mount the compressor for those air horns? I was thinking about doing the same sort of thing and found a set of horns where the compressor mounts in the horn cover (cow bell) and they have a bracket that places the horns further to the front from where they are now.

Thanks,

Dave
I have no idea, I'm not planning on putting them on, just pointing out that they are available.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top