Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know what I hate?
That bloody horn cover. It juts out and moves my left knee out into the air stream.
I can live with it, but has any one found a less intusive horn cover out there?

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
put the horn under the bike... in front of the back tire, below the fuel cell.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Yea, but then you have the mess of wires to look at. Someone needs to come up with something to cover the space that doesn't stick out!

·
VRRRRRROD!
3,173 Posts
Ken said:
You know what I hate?
That bloody horn cover. It juts out and moves my left knee out into the air stream.
I can live with it, but has any one found a less intusive horn cover out there?
I agree, makes my knee sore riding bumpy roads or you hang out in the wind. Has anyone moved theirs & done something different like Doc suggested?

·
Biker Pilot
1,104 Posts
someone posted a fix to that problem awhile back. You can move the horn about 3/4 inch closer to the bike by using a longer bolt and a different spacer. I just added a few washers and moved mine about 1/3 inch closer. so far no problems.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Has anyone adressed the issue of how ineffective the horn is? Not only would I like to move it, I want to make it actually sound like something other than a toy car :eek:

If they didn't look so bad I'd have air horns on the bike. I want cagers to MOVE OVER when I honk the horn, not ignore me like they do now!!!!!

·
Making the UK Fatter
2,606 Posts
mjw930 said:
Has anyone adressed the issue of how ineffective the horn is? Not only would I like to move it, I want to make it actually sound like something other than a toy car :eek:

If they didn't look so bad I'd have air horns on the bike. I want cagers to MOVE OVER when I honk the horn, not ignore me like they do now!!!!!
Chrome plated air horns !, someone must do them?

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
mr_vrodder said:
Chrome plated air horns !, someone must do them?
They do but I'm not going to hang 2 chrome airhorns in place of the existing horn cover.

·
Petrolhead
414 Posts
Mjw930, my horn sounds OK. Loud enough for sure . Perhaps it's a 'EURO' specification one. Not sure if they use a different part here but it's a possibility as there are many other subtle differences between USA bikes and my own one.
Probably worth enquiring about part numbers a for Brit spec horn.

·
Diesel Smoke Tester
862 Posts
A llittle closer, please!

I'm the one that posted the way I moved the horn in closer to the frame.
I put a 3/4" spacer (washers or solid) behind the horn, and used a longer bolt to hold it on. It made a big difference for my short legs! Then I mounted another horn under the bike; where the vapor recovery cannister went. Very loud, and effective. good luck.

redrazor :2cents:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Hi Mjw930,

Got a quick question for you, where are you going to mount the compressor for those air horns? I was thinking about doing the same sort of thing and found a set of horns where the compressor mounts in the horn cover (cow bell) and they have a bracket that places the horns further to the front from where they are now.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Red Razor, thanks for the info.
I'm happy enough with the shape of the horn cover, so adjusting its mounting sounds the way to go.
I know what I'll be doing this weekend.
I'm not sure if there is a UK spec horn Creosote. I do think the horn was a bit quieter than those fitted to my other HDs. It's funny, I was reading a Pommy V Rod test ride, and the bloke said the horn was the best he had ever heard.
Every one has different ideas I s'pose.

Best wishes all.

Ken.

·
V-Rod Addict
466 Posts
Saw one at Cycle Smiths (909-987-3890). It's called the Finned Horn and comes in chrome with a 100db horn. Anyone know how loud the stock horn is?

·
Metal Guitarist
5,201 Posts
I think bikertrash was working on making a smaller horn cover in the shape of a Skull, i wonder if he has had any luck with it yet ?

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
VA V-Rod said:
Hi Mjw930,

Got a quick question for you, where are you going to mount the compressor for those air horns? I was thinking about doing the same sort of thing and found a set of horns where the compressor mounts in the horn cover (cow bell) and they have a bracket that places the horns further to the front from where they are now.

Thanks,

Dave
I have no idea, I'm not planning on putting them on, just pointing out that they are available.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts