Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. I am a new HD V Rod owner and bought my 2003 Vrod from a guy that didn't know too much about what the owner before him had modified. Hoping you can help. My questions are...

I have the stock pipes on, but they had the baffles taken out and (I think) a stage 1 put in. The huy I bought it from called it some sort of known modification. Any idea what this is called, other than the obvious of what it is?
The reason I am curious about that is because of my fuel gauge. I can fill this thing up and in 37 miles, my light comes on. I haven't ridden enough to do an actual mileage count, but am concerned that my mileage is way bad or I have a bum gauge. I let the fuel guage go to r -- (no miles remaining) and I decided to fill up. It only took 2 gallons. Is this gauge known to do this? More importantly, does anyone have this stage 1 and no baffle mod?? What is your mileage if so? Man... I'd hate to have to push this thing!!

Thanks all!!

·
Kickstart My Heart!!
1,506 Posts
Simple answer... Most all VRODs have poor fuel gauges. Never trust the fuel gauge. The amount of miles you get per tank is going to depend on how you are riding it. Just start using your tripometer and check the amount of gas you put in each time. Pretty soon you will just know what your average is for a tank full.

For example, I have a 5 gallon tank. If I am riding it above 5K RPMs a lot then I am looking for gas around 120 miles to be on the safe side. If I am just cruising around 3.5K to 4.5K RPMs mostly then I fill up between 140 and 150 miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome $uicide. Thank you for the info. Is this mileage to be considered with a modified exhaust and stage 1 (or 2...) as well?

·
Kickstart My Heart!!
1,506 Posts
I have Rinehart 2:1 with K&N filter and a Power Commander III tuned on a dyno for each cylinder. I did not really notice much difference in fuel consumption from stock to be honest. I notice more difference depending on the way I am riding.

Your previous owners could have simply drilled out the exhaust and put in a filter without tuning the bike depending on how much they messed with the exhaust. You may want to see if there is a fuel programmer on the bike although they could have used one that does not stay with the bike. If it is a piggy back system look under the seat and or passenger seat.

If the bike is running well with no stumbles and or a lot of decel popping I would just ride it and determine how many miles you can go on a full tank using the tripometer. I would say go 90 miles and then fill up and see how much it takes and go from there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No programer. I thought about taking it in to get one put on, but as you said, it is running ok and no pops on decel.

Thanks for the help! I will put a piece of tape over the fuel gauge (so I dont chicken out) and do the 90 mile thing.

Thanks again $uicide!!

·
Premium Member
11,245 Posts
The stock modified pipes sounds like they are the V-MODed pipes Where you drill out the inner baffle. It's well documented on this forum and has thousands of threads about ti. A Re-tune of the ECM (Electronic Control module) is in order once you do this. This is probably the Stage 1 he referred to.
The fuel gauge is notoriously inaccurate but there are ways to minimize. There is a thread on this forum that discusses This Link will take you to a thread that discusses a possible solution. It worked for me. Others say it does not work. It does not fix the problem of the low fuel light coming on real early but it should fix the erratic behavior of the gauge.

·
Kickstart My Heart!!
1,506 Posts
I will put a piece of tape over the fuel gauge (so I dont chicken out) and do the 90 mile thing.
Unless you are riding around at 8,000 RPMs hitting 90 miles on the 3.75G tank should be no problem. If you get worried start out at 75 miles and see how much gas you put in from last full tank.

As RustyG said there are things that can be done for the fuel gauge albeit will most likely fail again and leave you stranded if you get used to going by the gauge. Honestly I myself trust my tripmeter over any gauge. I even go by my tripmeter in my car. Always have done it this way since I started driving.

·
Premium Member
11,245 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts