Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, as i said in my first post. i just got my bike yesterday. i got up early this morning to go for a ride. i started the bike and let it warm up for maybe a minute or so. when i pulled out of the neighborhood i ran it up to about 4k. it immediately started running poorly. not so much a dead miss but, it certainly felt like a plug had fouled. when i got back to the house i pulled the cover off of the air box and found a puddle of oil in the bottom of the box. i can't tell if there is oil on the filter and the oil feels too thick to be air filter oil. i guess my first step is to pull the plugs and see what they look like.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
any ideas as to why the oil is in the air box? there is a copper/brass tube running from the front cylinder to the bottom of the air box. is it some sort of pcv type thing? anybody?

·
Battle301
96 Posts
Yep the oil is normal in the airbox. so no worry there. and vrods are extremely cold blooded. you could warm it up for 10 minutes and you would still need to go down the road a ways before its truely warmed up.

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts
so, as i said in my first post. i just got my bike yesterday. i got up early this morning to go for a ride. i started the bike and let it warm up for maybe a minute or so. when i pulled out of the neighborhood i ran it up to about 4k. it immediately started running poorly. not so much a dead miss but, it certainly felt like a plug had fouled. when i got back to the house i pulled the cover off of the air box and found a puddle of oil in the bottom of the box. i can't tell if there is oil on the filter and the oil feels too thick to be air filter oil. i guess my first step is to pull the plugs and see what they look like.
Depending on outside temperature. (Yesterday it was 55* outside) I went for my 1st ride of the season. I start the bike it idles for 1 minute or so & ride in 2nd gear @ 3000-3500 rpms for at least 1/2 mile on the side streets till I get to the main roads. Then I take it easy (3500 rpms max) on the main roads (speed limit 40mph) for the next 5 minutes or so. I have an oil temp dipsstick & by then ususlly the oil is at 100* or so. Then I start to ride the bike shifting @ 6-7000 rpms regularly.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
glad to hear about the cold nature of the beast. as soon as i can replace the plug i broke(stupid,stupid,stupid) i'll go out again and see whats up. when i left the dealership it was probably 75 out. this morning it was in the 50's. is the little brass pipe from the front cyl. to the bottom of the air box part of the crank case breather system or something? thanks for the replies fellas. JEFF

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts
glad to hear about the cold nature of the beast. as soon as i can replace the plug i broke(stupid,stupid,stupid) i'll go out again and see whats up. when i left the dealership it was probably 75 out. this morning it was in the 50's. is the little brass pipe from the front cyl. to the bottom of the air box part of the crank case breather system or something? thanks for the replies fellas. JEFF
Yes that's the front cylinder's PCV. If you overfill the oil it'll blow up through there & into your airbox. You should have a little bit of oil in there like sweating oil but not puddles.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Just got from the dealer? Don't mess with it, not running right, take it back.

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
Check your oil level in the case.

Secondly you will have blow by and the rings are not seated/broke in yet. Only way to get that done is ride it like you stole it, DO NOT BABY IT. This engine is pretty stout and those of us who ride it with zest do not loose oil or have blow by.

Also change to FULLY synthetic, NOT hd garbage. Hundreds of threads about this same subject.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I reduced my oil carryover somewhat by putting zip ties on the hoses coming from the breather hoses to the little capture tank standing in the airbox. DO NOT Modify the capture tank. I took the little filters out of the top of mine and it puked oil all over the place.

·
Retired, Not SLOW!
6,000 Posts
... is the little brass pipe from the front cyl. to the bottom of the air box part of the crank case breather system or something? thanks for the replies fellas. JEFF
Check the rear breather tube from time to time, too. The "accordion" part of it (outside the airbox, bending over toward the brass tube on the rear cyl, right rear corner) tends to just sort of disintegrate and then you get oil mist all over the rear cam box instead of in the air cleaner housing. Got lucky and found one at the 4th dealership I tried.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
great advice advice fellas, as soon as this damn job stops f***ing up my play time i'm going to try to disassemble the breather cannister and see whats up inside there. i will also be switching to amsoil. can i run a k&n air filter without a processor? i live in mandeville la. if there is anyone of you close enough to meet up and ride my bike, i would love an experienced opinion of my purchase. thanks again guys. JEFF

1 - 14 of 14 Posts