Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't happy with my cutdown Dog's Ass and I don't like the side mount lic. plates so I just started playing around with an idea and it turned out like this. Fabricated it out of some scrap plastic I had in the garage from an old Sportbike Undertail. Chopped, sawed, sanded, filed & ground my way to an "UnderDog's Tail-Ass" as I call it! Like to break away from the herd & do something a little different, whatcha think?

Attachments

·
A Beautiful Country
181 Posts
Looks like you may have trouble with the local constabulary. The view of your plate is to be completely unhindered. It may just be the pics, but it appears to have a severe shadow covering the plate. Not to mention the angle of view. It leans so far forward that it is difficult to read.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aldankirk, I don't think they will bother me here, but ya never know. I do have the Lic lights in the factory tail still and it shows up pretty good at night. Actually, it probably shows a little better than the pics look and is certainly not as obscured as some of the sportbikes around here. I'm surprised some of those guys get away with what they do when they put the plate up under the tail by the seat without a light!
Thanks for the comments guys. I knew some wouldn't like it, but just interested in feedback.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well well well, I must say that when it comes to making something you did it, but my dog makes something twice a day and even though I ve had him for five years it still looks like he's making sh*%^#it. As long as you like it brother I Love It.

·
Lover of Bikes
1,726 Posts
Well done is all I can say! Nice to see something different done with ingenuity.
How'd you brace it?
I wouldn't go with the blue reflectors though. I also think a plastic piece that would more closely hug the tire would work better. Great job!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know Beeek, I agree about the blue reflectors, they gotta go. It is really solid with 6 attach bolts into the rear frame that supports the tail piece. Absolutly no movement-rock solid. It could be adjusted and pulled up under the tail more but then the lic plate would be more hidden.
Thanks for the comments, even the one that called it dog poop -ROFL!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Steve, I finally got some Metzlers on so I might be able to keep you & Kerri in sight at the Dragon next month and notice I did say "might"-LOL

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
zcat said:
Hey Steve, I finally got some Metzlers on so I might be able to keep you & Kerri in sight at the Dragon next month and notice I did say "might"-LOL
Well, you can keep an eye on my blue reflectors (they ain't going nowheres!)! I'm sure you'll be right behind me like before! :)
I love your ingenuity, Gary. Not sure if I'm diggin the look, but I love that you've made something yourself! Good on ya! I'll take a closer look next month!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Really the pictures don't do it justice, but still will not be for everybody. I just like having something different that ya can't buy on the internet ;-)

·
Army spark jockey
3,091 Posts
nice to see people thinking outside the box

·
NOT A REAL HD RIDER
779 Posts
Like the idea...but with the shape of the new fender it's hard to make something complementary with the outward flare.... howzabout a 280 and an aftermarket fender to go with your idea?:stilpoke:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dharlow, that is a 260 on there now and like I said before I didn't want to buy an aftermarket. Kind of like doing things different. I don't like the lic plate mounted on the side, but thats just me. Too chopper-like for me I guess. This was an exercise in reducing the Platypus look of the larger tail. I try to keep the V-Rod basic design, but different strokes as they say and I knew some wouldn't like it. Just interested in opinions and I might do further work but will keep the idea intact. It could be made a little smaller or even pulled up under the tail more.

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts
Have you hit any really large bumps, pot holes, etc to see if the tire hits it yet??

I wasn't a fan of the side mount plate either but my fabricated plate holder was hitting the tire slightly when my shocks bottomed out.

I went with a side mount on the exhaust side and tucked it in pretty close to the brake rotor and angled it to match the shock angle.

It looks good back there and cleans up the rear end.:2cents:

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Dude like I told you when I saw it yesterday, that looks wicked. I don't think the pictures are really doing it any justice. It looks better up close and personal.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Steve, I probably will not do anything more till after the August Deal's Gap run if at all. So you'll get to see it in person and as Desert said, the pictures really don't do it justice at all. All in all I'm pretty satisfied with the result but the one thing I will do is dump the blue reflector lic. bolts.
I have hit some pretty good bumps and with those progressive 440's jacked up to a stiffer setting it doesn't rub. Really about as much clearance as the stock dog's ass.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts