Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there this is my first post,just looking for a bit of info. I'm putting a gt28 on my 2009 muscle, I have fabricated header pipes, mounted turbo and run intake up to airbox. My question is ,which is better aluminium or stainless for the plenum. I live in New Zealand and this site is awesome. Thanks

·
Ron Cooper
1,809 Posts
Aluminm will be more then fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi ,what are the pro's and cons for using aluminium.
I think stainless has a better finish . Just a little background 2009 silver muscle, topless, SE filter, stage 2 cams,gutted and bigger baffle in stock exhaust,SEPST

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Less weight for one, pain in the butt to weld :)... You can polish aluminum and it will look pretty good but it's going to be under your airbox cover so no ones going to see it :)... Are you going to run a external waste gate and manual boost control? How much boost are you going to run?

·
Ron Cooper
1,809 Posts
far fetching here but, aluminum might wick heat a little better. With that being said aluminum will polish up, and besides wont your plenum be under the airbox?

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Post some pictures of your work.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Aluminum is easier to work with. Easier to machine and IMHO easier to weld. Stainless has a tendency to 'sugar' at the weld if you dont backpurge. How familiar with welding processes are you and what do you have available? MIG? TIG? All this will factor into the material you decide to use.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have all the equipment that's needed to weld either.I'm a fabricator/welder by trade so that's the easy bit. I'm running internal wastegate and start at 8lb boost, see how she goes. Will post up pictures when I figure out how

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi there just trying to confirm that inside the plenum there is a angle iron running the length ( front to back).My question is is it in the middle, top, bottom. I still cant post up pictures of progress. Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have finally got some pictures uploaded into my album, tell me what you think.

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Looks like your getting there with your build... From your pictures, I can't see any oil line going to your turbo for the bearings... Are you running oil to it or is self contained? I can't tell you for sure on your plenum, there are some experts on here more qualified then I that should be able to help you out... Your project is looking good tho, congrats on what you've done so far, your undertaking a task that is not easy to do :)... Sorry I couldn't be of more help but I'm sure the pro's will give you the answers you need on your plenum...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Havn't run oil lines yet still fabricating. Plenum is all mocked up but reading the forum and gathering all the info I can. Read here about the v shaped angle , with the oil lines ther are 2 options.1 drill and tap oil filter adaptor. 2 Splice in tee?? can't remember where just now but I will find the thread where it goes.This site rocks

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
One thing you can think about is a small electric pump that will continue to run oil to your bearings for 30 seconds or so after you've shut down the motor... Not something that is a must mind you but, I'm thinking about doing this with my turbo along with water/alcohol injection... There's some interesting reading about turbo's at this site where it may give you some help with your project...

http://rbracing-rsr.com/oilsystems.htm

·
TURBONATOR
1,366 Posts
Hi there just trying to confirm that inside the plenum there is a angle iron running the length ( front to back).My question is is it in the middle, top, bottom. I still cant post up pictures of progress. Thanks
The angle iron is in the bottom

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does the angle run the full length of the plenum and is it inline with the inlet pipe from intake? Thanks for the help. I have uploaded a picture to the gallery. Is this OK

·
TURBONATOR
1,366 Posts
Here is a shot of the inside hope this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the picture and the help. Will post up more photos on progress and thanks again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hello again just another question, do I have to weld my O2 sensors back in?I'm just waiting for the workshop manual to arrive so I can remove my stage2 cams . Also I am probably going to need a SEPST turbo map. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts