Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please, consider discussing motorcycle DYNOS.
That is one cool device.

A friend of mine has a car dyno at home. Talk about obsesive compulsive disorder. I Rx'd some Zoloft, he is doing better now.

Overkill? Duh! :spit:

He is having fun though. He sponsors himself and says there is more bussines coming his way bacause of his good results at the track. I say :bs: as I have not seen him at the tracks for some time now. His cars are really very fast and he does tuning for customers and friends at home. He is actually kicking a$$ on the street and says it IS because of the dynos very fine tuneability. I guess that justifies the expense or at least pays the lease. Had an old Big Block Vette with turbos. Satan was under the hood! :diablo:

Threw the Mustang off a cliff, that is one purchase I will always regret. Sold the HiPerf Japs too. Only the wifes minivan (Sienna) and my Sequoia (SuperCharged of course). No cars for now. Maybe a well kept Supra. See! I did it again. It's an addiction. I'll get some :helpme:.

How about a motorcycle dyno? Those are less expensive.
How much does one cost? Are they difficult to maintain? Any particular preferences? I have several bikes but that does not justify spending $20000 on a dyno. Some friends and I were talking about it and already about 20 or so showed much interest.

I gues DonQ and CocaCola with just the right amount of lemon (No Bacardi; never have, never will) will get you these behavioral changes. Try it with the ladies.:sinister: It's a well known aphrodisiac.

Attachments

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I think if you get a dyno that you have to move to the US, more specific Texas and you can be newest best friend. LOL

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have a spare dyno for sale. If you are interested then check out
www.hyperdyno.com
It is still brand new. For extra cash you can set it up on a trailer and pull it to the local watering holes for dyno shoot outs. You will end up tuning most of the bikes as well. It will pay for itself in no time. I am the distributor in the States for them.
Derek

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Personally I do not think it would be cost effective to buy one for myself. There are others here with the V-Rod and elsewhere with different bikes that seem real hard core about power and do a lot of testing. One of us has done "hundreds" of pulls on a dyno. It just seems like say 100 pulls at $50 each time is mucho dinero and with double that amount you may buy the whole thing. Unless truly $20000 like a friend tells me.

EMailed mustangdyne for a quote on the mdc325

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
"One of us has done "hundreds" of pulls on a dyno. "
Hey I know a guy like that!:rolleyes: His V-rod is really Fast though!;)

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
If I had the money I would have 2 dynos.One for the car and 1 for the v-rod.

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How much money do you need to have to own one?

KAZ
That was you:rolleyes:? I knew it. I knew I read that somewhere;).
So many pulls must be a lot of money.
Don't you think ownership of a dyno would have been cheaper?
I am really just asking, if you were to do it all over again, wouldn't you go out and get one?
Most are content with getting a good combination, tune, and that's it. Not you though. :notworthyI saw the graph you posted:icon_twis and the only way to get there the quickest is with a dynamometer.

:blahblah: Say, those throttle bodies you have, did you see much improvement? How did the powerband change?

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
I was Very Lucky that a GOOD FRIEND of mine owned it and did a $hit load of Testing and Tunning with my bike for his company.Techlusion.He got the Base set ups for more than a few setups using my bike for the R&D!If i would have had to pay by the hour I could have easily bought one!I'm sure total between him and Sam I have 500+ dyno pulls testing everything you can think of!Half with the NOS System. So I think I know what doesn't work!;) Dyno's are great to give you a Ball Park setup ,but for me there's nothing Like real World at the Track Testing!:cool:

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
True, track time will give you the bottom line. FUN!!!

Street is cool too! We are all adults here, right? We've done the dyno, then go out and race a well known friend with a well known motorcycle. Maybe swap bikes and do it again. As many times necessary to make it clear. Try it with a friend with consistent clutch and throttle hands. It works very well if both are honest about the performance of either machine. FUN!!!

It is not difficult to get away from cops :moon (police officer I should say) but always scary stuff and not reccomended so be careful. If they get you once (as if), they will try and make you regret it :spank2:. Some do the littlle girl thing :1: and get off easy.

Ever had engine and/or transmission failure? :soapbox:

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Tranny problem last time out!Not sure if it was the Air shifter or what?It's in the shop now for an Oil leak at the inputshaft"were the pulley/sprocket attaches".I changed the seal and it's still leaking so checking to see if I bent the shaft!:(

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check this out! Road Dyno
Do any of you think it can make reproducible results. It may be used to at least compare various changes without the hassle, time, and money of a chassis dyno.
Received this email:

Yes. We have customers using Road Dyno on motorcycles. The
motorcycle must have at least a short section of spark plug wire to
connect an inductive pickup (no coil-on-plug ignitions) or a diagnostic
timing lead that pulses once per engine revolution. That's how the Road
Dyno gets its signal.

Mike

> > can the Road Dyno Kit be used on motorcycles? A V-Rod maybe?
> >

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pic

Attachments

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Coil is mounted on the plug on a v-rod. That does not mean that you could not adapt a wire and mount the coil remote but I'm not sure the results would be accurate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts