Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was set to de-baffle my HP's last weekend, got the end caps off and hole saw ready, but thought I'd ask for any words of wisdom before doing so.

I was told that all I need to do is make one cut on the exit end with an 1 7/8ths hole saw and pull the baffle out because its just crimped into the other end. Is this true? Anything else to look out for?

I did some searching here and I think I saw Louis ask for some advice and Riv responded with just about the same thing I was told.

I want to double check with you guys before making any cuts.

·
I see dead people
1,045 Posts
Good luck on that one, I tried that a couple years ago and could not get the baffle out due to the elongated shape of the baffle.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
Step-by-step

Are there any plugs that you can remove before you remove the entire baffle?

I just now hole-sawed the plugs out of my mufflers this month. I LOVE the way it sounds!

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
Maybe EUROVROD has the [email protected] Sturgis.

I'm almost certain it's crimped and wedged in tight at both ends for stability.

·
Banned
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are there any plugs that you can remove before you remove the entire baffle?

I just now hole-sawed the plugs out of my mufflers this month. I LOVE the way it sounds!
What do you mean by "plugs" Dave?

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
What do you mean by "plugs" Dave?
About 10 inches from the tip of the Screamin Eagle slip-on mufflers, there are 1-1/4" plugs welded into the bores. They resemble motor freeze plugs in shape and thickness.

I modified a 1" hole saw with an aluminum-bronze sleeve to center the saw in the pipe. When I drilled the plugs out, it left 1/8" wide rings intact where once were the plugs.

Because I was doing it as an experiment (and I don't want to run it without dyno-tuning), I made some 3/8" thick aluminum washers to restore the plugs for now.

I truly love the way it sounded with the plugs drilled out. It made the exhaust tone deeper and much more powerful sounding, but not too loud. As soon as I can, I will remove the temporary plugs and have it tuned with them out. I CAN'T WAIT!!!

If your baffles have plugs, you may be able to drill them out before you remove the entire baffle. What could it hurt to try?

·
Banned
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, I wish this was the case. I have a feeling I'm going to need a 3" hole saw and a welder at this rate.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
When you modify the stock slip ons can you leave the fuel system stock or do you need to get a fuel manager.
These bikes already run very lean. Expanding the exhaust in any way only makes them more lean and therefore more likely to burn a piston. Therefore, with any exhaust modification that decreases pressure, you should add fuel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts