Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Oh,and...world peace
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where the front axle is exposed on the outer right side of the fork, there is about a 1/2 hole in the exposed part of the axle. Is there supposed to be something in the whole like a pin or something?

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
I think the hole for inserting a tool in to hold the axle when removing or installing the front wheel!

·
Old Guys Rule
1,279 Posts
Take off the axle nut, loosen the pinch bolts, stick a large phillips screwdriver through the hole and wiggle the sucker out.

·
Big Daddy!
975 Posts
Manhorse said:
Take off the axle nut, loosen the pinch bolts, stick a large phillips screwdriver through the hole and wiggle the sucker out.
Thanks Mike for the 411.............hee hee :stilpoke: Are you certain that the flux capicator doesn't have something to do with that hole? :hmm: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Old Guys Rule
1,279 Posts
NO the flux capulation valve on the carburator intake on the vrod isnt anywhere near the front axle. Where the hell did you learn about bikes. Sheesh Eric. :bs:

·
Big Daddy!
975 Posts
I attended, and graduated from American Motorcycle Mechanic's school in Santa Fe Springs Ca...................

·
Old Guys Rule
1,279 Posts
Harleyvrodguy said:
I attended, and graduated from American Motorcycle Mechanic's school in Santa Fe Springs Ca...................
And me? Tearing bikes apart since 14 learning the hard way...ohhh wait the vrod doesnt have a carburetor...my bad. :spank: Im just messing wit ya Eric.

·
MASTER VR TECH
1,777 Posts
The hole is part of the build process from the factory, and yes it helps us to remove the axle and to verify proper axle depth. It sure makes a cool noise too. when facing the wrong way. But all Harleys have this hole. been there since the mid 80s. Later SKI

·
Oh,and...world peace
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all, I feel better knowing that something is not missing on that rather important part of the wheel..... :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
Isn't that hole to hang a good luck bell? (last bike I hung one on was my '92 FXLRC Lowrider Custom, which pitched me off at 65 mph on a right hang curve on Hwy. 101 just north of Atascadero, CA...no more bells since then and no more accidents).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts