Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys,

my year/model is 2002 VRSCA and my oil smells like gas? How can that happen? I unscrew the dip-stick and the oil on the dipstick is hard to read and it has a "gassy" smell to it.

any ideas other than just changing the oil or stuff to look for.

Thanks

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
interesting...well, i feel better now...guess it may be a good idea to a dyno tune and lean it out a little...i guess i'll just get the Amsoil from ken and change it this weekend maybe...

thanks

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I have never smelled fuel in my oil so all bikes don't do this or atleast mine doesn't. How you ride, what kind of tune you have and what type of fueler you use all play factors in fuel in the oil.

·
Registered
133 Posts
You may have an injector that is running full open? In the old days of carburetors, that was one sign of an engine running very rich, or sometimes one that was leaking fuel down through the rings. Is your bike down on power? Does it still accelerate well? Does it now backfire when it didn't before? Any other issues?
I've got 10k on mine after a year, and I haven't smelled fuel when I've checked the oil or changed the oil.

·
matt blk & fire hot
1,569 Posts
Gui272 said:
my oil smells like gas? How can that happen? I unscrew the dip-stick and the oil on the dipstick is hard to read and it has a "gassy" smell to it.
Sounds like a leaky injector, when you shut it off, it dribbles past the rings to the oil.
At least that’s what happened in a car engine I was working on?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
MY_VRSCDX said:
more likely a leaky injector, when you shut it off, it dribbles past the rings to the oil. at this point it is possible to blow the cam housing or pan off the engine. did it on a V8 once.
A leaky injector will have other complaints, hard start rough idle after start. Fuel in the oil is usually bad maps, very short trips with rich mixtures or rings not seated or a combonation of the three. Usually bad or stuck injectors have other complaints besides just fuel in the oil.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Max said:
A leaky injector will have other complaints, hard start rough idle after start. Fuel in the oil is usually bad maps, very short trips with rich mixtures or rings not seated or a combonation of the three. Usually bad or stuck injectors have other complaints besides just fuel in the oil.

i do have short trips...10 miles to work and 10 home then 11 to the gym and 11 home during the week...longer trips on the weekend but thats the majority of my riding during the week...

it starts fast...idles easy...i'm running a race tuner with sampson long slashers topless...i posted my dyno run on here a few months back and everyone said it was running rich so i just went topless without getting it re-tuned so i guess it's still very rich...

i'm thinking about changing pipes out this winter and getting the bike dyno tuned...i'm not sure if i want to put my SE slip on's back on or get bub jug huggers...i like the look of the jug huggers a lot more than the SE slip on's

so, is the consensus that it's a map isue and not an injector issue?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Gui272 said:
i

so, is the consensus that it's a map isue and not an injector issue?
I'm going to guess that it is a mixture between a rich map and short trips. It just means you should be changing oil more often. You might have the map looked at if you get a chance also to see not what WOT afr looks like but what the cruise afr looks like.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You may have an injector that is running full open? In the old days of carburetors, that was one sign of an engine running very rich, or sometimes one that was leaking fuel down through the rings. Is your bike down on power? Does it still accelerate well? Does it now backfire when it didn't before? Any other issues?
I've got 10k on mine after a year, and I haven't smelled fuel when I've checked the oil or changed the oil.
I have the 2003 rod and my front cylinder was running full open . No problems with idle or throttle response . When I stored the bike after the riding season , I removed the plugs and noticed the front cylinder plug was wet with gas .I removed both injectors and went with the Feuling 5.1 g/s injectors . Then had the bike put on a dyno for my low / mid / and high ratio . Problem fixed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts