Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
White is Faster :D
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently looking at my next project for my B. I want to make sure I dont get cleaned out by some airhead with a chip on his shoulder. Know what I mean.

So the delima...turbo=+50hp and relatively easy to install, BB=+40 or more(depending on the build) and complicated install.

I think Im more of a BB fan cause you cant tell from looking at the bike that its installed. But of course the build is a lot more complicated. I will not be doing the work. Am I crazy to go this direction when the trask tubro is an easier option?

Any advantages to the BB over a turbo? I would say i will spend about 6k on the install if that helps. My bike is pretty much stock atm, SE 16ga pipes and a K&N filter on the way.

Anyone know a good engine builder near Maine? I have heard about a 190+ vrod here in Maine (BigMoose HD tech told me his name but I didnt write it down).

any opinions will be helpful.

Thanks

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
depends on engine milage...I personally would not rebuild a newer engine. You are basically throwing awaay miles. its like replacing new tires...why do it?

Get the turbo, run the hell out of the motor for 2-3 years and then when its fried....rebuild it and go bigger...then hook the turbo to that and have real fun.

·
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
myvrodrocks said:
depends on engine milage...I personally would not rebuild a newer engine. You are basically throwing awaay miles. its like replacing new tires...why do it?

Get the turbo, run the hell out of the motor for 2-3 years and then when its fried....rebuild it and go bigger...then hook the turbo to that and have real fun.
Bike has 6k and rising fast...excellent point of view, run it hard before opening the engine up

RNTRACING has my favorite answer if I only had deeper pockets lol.

Thanks. So who should I get to install a turbo...in Maine.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,170 Posts
cmptrgk said:
Bike has 6k and rising fast...excellent point of view, run it hard before opening the engine up

RNTRACING has my favorite answer if I only had deeper pockets lol.

Thanks. So who should I get to install a turbo...in Maine.
Do it yourself. Not that hard. I did it, took my time, even did things above and beyond the call with better hoses, extra hose clamps, etc. - also, try and find my ignition :) (see my gallery).

·
RICK
648 Posts
It's Not Hard At All. Nick At Cp Has A Simple Kit And Download With The Race Tuner. I Think Almost Anybody Could Do It, And If You Can't, I'm Sure Somebody Local Could Give You A Hand!

·
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm...so do i get e tent with the kit?

That way when I get kicked out by the old lady I can sleep next to the bike?lol

·
RICK
648 Posts
If You Buy The Turbo, I'll Send You A Tent! She'll Forgive You After She Sees How Happy The Turbo Makes You!!

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
sgtrage said:
Installing a turbo is child's play my friend. You can do it in one day, no problem.
Or you could ride it down to RI on a Friday and leave Saturday with a faster bike. PM me if you need help.

·
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bproulxvrod said:
Or you could ride it down to RI on a Friday and leave Saturday with a faster bike. PM me if you need help.
Thanks for the offer man...

·
JeffC 1/2 to 300mph!
5,733 Posts
If you send your bike out for a BB- talk to some of the guys that have had to wait for their motors to get done.
I don't knock anyway you want to make power but, like myvrodrocks said, you have a good engine, in a week you could have the kit and a day you can have it done = instant gratifacation. Or you could gamble on who does your motor and how long or much riding season you miss (even if you figure it will get done over the winter).
You can't beat the support you get from Trask.

·
Banned
787 Posts
myvrodrocks said:

By the time the motor wears out, they will have bikes that fly like on the old Battlestar Gallactica...

·
Registered
308 Posts
Just in case you haven't made your mind up yet-

Turbo. No doubt. F I had the dough mine would be on now.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
RNTRACING said:
Dont Be So Cheap! Go Bb And Turbo!!
You can stay stock just at least go 12mm headstuds and some J&E Low comp Pistons.Might as well through in a set of Ti Rods and you have a 230rwhp monster between your Legs:thumb:

·
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Super Kaz said:
You can stay stock just at least go 12mm headstuds and some J&E Low comp Pistons.Might as well through in a set of Ti Rods and you have a 230rwhp monster between your Legs:thumb:
K om on my way to vegas for you to build it for me...you have the parts ready right....lol. Will take me a while I have the stock tank and will have to make 100 gas stops on the way.

Ya im leaning turbo...now got to some creative accounting to make the funds avail. need it installed by Sunday, I wish...Dyno competition this Sunday at the local HD dealer.

Ive only seen 2 other Vrods up here in Maine so I bet I can compete with most HD bikes if I have the turbo. Stock Dyno was 100hp/75tq...so add trask and K&N filter and SE 16ga pipes I might see 155hp :)

·
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
oh chit thats right the SE pipes are gone....cool. Brand new K&N in there too, well it will be a bit before I can afford it anyways.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
6,904 Posts
myvrodrocks said:

Yer pretty damn smart.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts