Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am new here i bought a 06 street rod a couple months ago and only put 76 miles on it and was out for a ride with my mom and stepfather. we stopped at a red light and i was looking in my mirror and i seen 2 bikes come up behind us and then a minivan behind them not seeming to slow down by the time i went to look ahead to see if i could get out of the way we were all hit. my stepfather talks to the news in this clip. my mother and stepfather were ok i thought i was too but the next day i got up went to work and my lower back was killing me i went to the hospital and had xrays and mri nothing is broken but i have major problems. thats my poor orange street rod.

http://www.19actionnews.com/story/25708160/grand-jury-to-consider-charges-on-driver-distracted-by-phone-during-crash

·
Registered
108 Posts
That's pretty scary stuff. My uncle died in a similar scenario. He was sitting at a light waiting to turn into his neighborhood. A lady in a van bulldozed him from behind, driving drunk. Glad you guys came out of it ok, considering. Sucks about the bikes though.

·
Black Denim F
1,046 Posts
So, she paid a simple traffic ticket and now she thinks this is all over with and done huh??? HA, I hope they throw the book at her....

Sorry to hear about this, but glad you all survived. As bad as it is, could have been much worse.

·
Kickstart My Heart!!
1,506 Posts
I am not one for more government control but obviously we have too many stupid people in this world that won't stop using their smart phones while driving.

Had one today come into my lane head on and what did I see.... The driver holding a smart phone up in the air looking at something.

We need these damn phones to be disabled when they sense a speed over 10 MPH. That is the only way I see stopping these morons from continuing to use them while driving.

It is just as bad if not worse than drunk driving. Start implementing the same penalties as a drunk driver gets.

:soapbox:

·
Black Denim F
1,046 Posts
I am not one for more government control but obviously we have too many stupid people in this world that won't stop using their smart phones while driving.

Had one today come into my lane head on and what did I see.... The driver holding a smart phone up in the air looking at something.

We need these damn phones to be disabled when they sense a speed over 10 MPH. That is the only way I see stopping these morons from continuing to use them while driving.

It is just as bad if not worse than drunk driving. Start implementing the same penalties as a drunk driver gets.

I agree....and I see the same damn thing every time I go out on the streets. :banghead:

·
I piss excellence
492 Posts

That's exactly what ABATE of MN, along with other MRO's, are really pushing for. They want to make it a felony for hurting or killing people due to distracted driving. Right now, it's a petty misdemeanor, which means a weak fine, and little, if any, jail time. A mere slap on the wrist is not harsh enough for ending someone else's life because one finds a text message more important than safely operating a motor vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks everyone i am very thankful i got to come home and kiss my daughter and wife. yes it does suck about the bikes. my stepfathers bike is the black electra glide it is being fixed . my bike had 5800 and it is getting fixed 800 more and they would have totaled it. the girl that was on the back of the soft tail behind me has a fractured skull and bleeding on her brain and broken leg. i hope she is ok i dont know any more than that.

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
83hemi I hope everyone will be ok. Bikes can be fixed or replaced. I am going to pass this post around to friends, hope you don't mind.
And for all those who want these things to not be able to function over a certain speed, you are spot on and I would support that law in a heartbeat. Stiffer penalties would be nice too.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
I really don't understand how this country is running to be honest with you. In Virginia, if you are speeding 20 mph over the posted or in exceed of 80 mph and you will be automatically charged with a crime reckless driving by speed. If you ride over 80 mph and it is more likely you will be charged with felony, it doesn't matter if the posted said 75 mph. And yet, she get away. WTF!!! I could say much more but nevermind. I am glad you are okay and hopefully you could get a new bike or get it fixed soon. Always have one car space in front of you when you stop at an intersection. It helps.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
In my state drivers are charged with a felony, if a Cell phone is involved.

·
Premium Member
2,900 Posts
...but the next day i got up went to work and my lower back was killing me i went to the hospital and had xrays and mri nothing is broken but i have major problems.
In most cases I HATE the idea of people calling "ambulance chasers" and suing over minor problems; but this sure sounds like a clear case of you (and others) being hurt by another's negligence. Plow through 7 people on 4 bikes because you were looking at your stupid phone? She's a moron: 100%. :chair:

·
Asylum Inmate
1,117 Posts
Do yourself a favor if you are going to sue. Sue the cell phone service provider. If you need help with a lawyer or your lawyer once to set case law PM me. You have the chance to end cell phone use while driving at the source with this case. I have a lot of information for the case I have been collecting over two years now.

The new uk study just pretty much makes this a tort dream!

·
"That just happened"
331 Posts
83hemi, glad everyone is still alive and able to try and recover from that idiot's actions. I'll also preface this by saying I too think she should at the very least be charged with distracted driving, which should carry a "real" consequence. But, I can't fuking believe how some of the previous posters want to solve this growing problem! The knee-jerk "we should disable all phones over X miles per hour" is the WRONG way to address this issue. Once again, well meaning people are all for legislating common sense into our society, but by doing so you are taking away freedoms from EVERY ONE of us. Bus riders, passengers in cars, hell...even passengers on bikes...we all loose the freedom to use our devices because these people--again, well meaning-- want to dummy down our society to the lowest common denominator!! The problem does NOT lie with all of us, it lies with the few that cause these accidents. Make REAL laws, with REAL teeth to them, and insist on REAL convictions.....I'm ALL for that. But punishing me by taking away my freedoms because of the actions of others.....absolutely NOT!

·
Asylum Inmate
1,117 Posts
Totally agree with the no laws. Sue the cell service provider. They will have to settle given the UK study and the fact they acknowledge there is a problem with the ad campaigns they are running.

Once that door is open, passengers, bus riders ect will just have to acknowledge they are not driving and the system will log that protecting the service provider in the future and setting up a willful negligence civil suit against those that answer yes but were in fact driving and their insurance company. And will also set up 3rd degree murder charges against them if the kill someone after answering yes.

No laws, just case law set up to hammer the irresponsible.... if the DAs won't do it, you have to get is started through the civil courts, which are there to remedy the defect when harm is caused.

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
I like that idea bbally. Solves the issue, puts it back on the individual, makes them liable since the made a intentional decision to break the law.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts