Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Genesis1130cc
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own an '03 anniversary edition all anodized built 07/02 and the last 8 of the vin is 3k830928. First of all, was this the 928th bike off the line? Other than the color what is the difference between what I own and the two-tone models? Does anyone know how many models of each did HD produce? Thanks in advance for your info and your time.

·
Ducking for cover!
8,455 Posts
I don't know the numbers, but even though the annodized version is what seems to be preferred, the skunk paint was produced in fewer numbers.

·
I love my V!!!
311 Posts
YES!

My Master plan is all coming together.

I really thought when I bought the bike ('03 skunk) it was going to retain a good portion of it's value. Now I realize the errors of my thought process. I'm not complaining. Between owning an amazing bike and this forum, it was well worth it.

I plan on keeping the bike for a very long time.

You think it will be a collectors item someday?

·
"A" is the only way
3,349 Posts
Drew said:
YES!

My Master plan is all coming together.

I really thought when I bought the bike ('03 skunk) it was going to retain a good portion of it's value. Now I realize the errors of my thought process. I'm not complaining. Between owning an amazing bike and this forum, it was well worth it.

I plan on keeping the bike for a very long time.

You think it will be a collectors item someday?
I think if there was one it will be that. I have my 02 skins put away just in case someday.

I notice that we have automatic spell check now very cool, along w/ the 900 message limit.

·
1130cc Mike
1,860 Posts
Mine is exactly 300 less in order of build. #628 I believe for '03. Frame date is 07/02. Mine is an annodized but I ride around in the first HD set of painted tins. The orange and yellow ghost flame set up I believe was a limited run of only 150 units to test the market for painted V Rods. The tins are not numbered like all the other ghost flame set ups. Josh at JE Illusions makes stuff that make mine look like a rookie painted them.

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
I have an 03 that had the "skunk paint" as well. I don't see it gaining any value in the forseable future. I've since completely redone my bike and since it would have been a real bitch to get it back to stock I ended up sell my anniversary tins. The only way these bikes might ioncrease in value is 20 years from now when there aren't to many left and by that time mine will have been long gone. JMHO

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
There are no production numbers and the major difference was the paint and a couple covers that most people have replaced anyway. An '03 bike, regardless of flavor, has no significant increase in value over any other V-Rod ever built and never will since they built so many over a 15+ month build cycle.

Anniversary edition bikes, unless they are limited and numbered will never retain ANY additional value.

·
Genesis1130cc
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's nice to see some new posts on this subject. I started this one for information on the bike and not for value. Value is perceived and in the eye of the beholder. I can't imagine ever getting rid of it. AWESOME ride!

·
Registered
118 Posts
No offence but but the 100 th anniversary will be worth more to some one just like a 2002 is the first year ect.... ass for every seat ...

I bought mine just because it was a 100th anniversary with the badge on the block and the factory ghost flames and to me it is worth more ..

·
I'm Bored
1,741 Posts
mjw930 said:
There are no production numbers and the major difference was the paint and a couple covers that most people have replaced anyway. An '03 bike, regardless of flavor, has no significant increase in value over any other V-Rod ever built and never will since they built so many over a 15+ month build cycle.

Anniversary edition bikes, unless they are limited and numbered will never retain ANY additional value.
MJ, what about anniversary bikes with numbered paint sets? Is that what you mean by "numbered"?

·
Registered
684 Posts
hamletexpress said:
I own an '03 anniversary edition all anodized built 07/02 and the last 8 of the vin is 3k830928. First of all, was this the 928th bike off the line? Other than the color what is the difference between what I own and the two-tone models? Does anyone know how many models of each did HD produce? Thanks in advance for your info and your time.
How do you tell what number it is when the bike come's off the line?My 03 number is 03/03 k 844660

·
Registered
715 Posts
My 2003 has been through so many evolutions that the only thing left is the frame with out the back end and the engine. Lol But I still keep my 100 Anniversary Tin to show her class. To me she has been worth the journey and I wouldn't dream of trading her in, I'll add to the stable but she will always have a place in my heart.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
sgtrage said:
MJ, what about anniversary bikes with numbered paint sets? Is that what you mean by "numbered"?
Numbered paint sets are completely different than numbered production bikes. So far the only numbered production V-Rods are the '07 X and the new '08 AWA. The bikes number within a series has NO relationship to the serial number so get that idea out of your head.

If you don't have a plaque like this:

or this:

You don't have a limited production edition. the plaques on '03 anniversary bikes have no numbers on them making the collectability far less than on these actual numbers editions.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts